Calls for action over ‘eyesore’ motorhomes by Broadwater Green (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Motorhomes parked on Broadwater Street West Residents are becoming increasingly frustrated by inaction over ‘eyesore’ motorhomes parked on Broadwater Street West by the green. Two or three caravans have been parked there for several months, according to residents. Rosemary Dinning, 74, of Russell Close, said: “There is a perfectly good campsite nearby. They don’t have to park here for days on end. But they seem to be getting away with it and it isn’t right. “They’re getting free parking. And they do become an eyesore.” Philip Watts, 68, of Goldsmith Road, wants to see the motorhomes moved by the council. He said: “It looks awful. They are an absolute eyesore and detract from the environment around the green. They give the area an air of rundown and neglect. I know that parking is a problem in Sussex and I appreciate that people have to live somewhere. But it’s gone on for far too long.” He was also concerned that some of the homes’ doors opened directly onto the road He added: “There’s a risk of danger as well. Broadwater is a busy environment. It’s a safety issue.” A spokesman for West Sussex County Council said: “It is unlawful to reside on the highway. When it is reported, we will enforce by notice any specific incidents where it can reasonably be proved. “This demands resources and time, and can take several weeks to bring into effect. “This has previously led to us impounding offending vehicles and the owners paying to retrieve them. “We appreciate this is a nuisance to residents. However we are keen to avoid restrictions on the highway which would unreasonably affect all users, including residents, and would displace motorhome users to less suitable locations, when the issues are caused by a few antisocial motorists who should be seeking appropriate locations to reside.” He added that the council had recently served notice on two mobile homes at the location and confirmed that, if they failed to comply, the council would obtain a court order for removal. He also recommended that residents report such incidents through the ‘Love West Sussex’ website or smartphone app. Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Read more at: Broken Link Removed

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What are they doing about fresh water and black waste?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
"It is unlawful to reside on the highway.".............You learn something every day :rolleyes:.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is one case where I would support the local residents tatty old RV's, motorhomes and caravans been there for years and it is a busy main road, right in the centre of a residential area. Similar situation on the coast road at Hove near the Portslade boundary.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I grew up in Worthing so know the area well. The road adjacent to Broadwater Green is the main road in and out of Worthing.

There is only a short section of dual carriageway next to the green. It looks like the northbound carriageway (where the vans are parked) could possibly be closed to main road traffic and has become effectively a layby.

Expect local Funsters will be able to confirm.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
"It is unlawful to reside on the highway.".............You learn something every day :rolleyes:.
That struck me as well Dave. Only if there is a local restriction :D http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm

Having said that I have every sympathy with residents whose lives are blighted - and the rest of us who will suffer from restrictions arising from such behaviour.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

There is of course another way to cure the 'problem'...... provide space elsewhere in the area for motorhomes ........... but why should they?......... just move them on and let them 'park/camp' somewhere else............. move the 'problem' somewhere else..........and then somewhere else....and on and on..........:whistle:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
There is of course another way to cure the 'problem'...... provide space elsewhere in the area for motorhomes ........... but why should they?......... just move them on and let them 'park/camp' somewhere else............. move the 'problem' somewhere else..........and then somewhere else....and on and on..........:whistle:

Why should space be provided for motorbikes.?
Are there no campsites close by?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
They have got to be buying their food and goods somewhere .... So are supporting the town... Or is it NIMBY...?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Also .. in many places there is only ONE campsite and so it can charge ridiculous fees. I struggle when visiting my daughter and have to wild camp every third night to try and cope financially for the week.. I feel for the townspeople for the times parking is abused .. so take away the barriers and limit parking to 24 hrs for example for those spending money in their shops.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Campsites are never close by and parking for motorhomes is rarely provided..... anywhere

Motor home, caravan, tent....same principle, nothing special about MHs, they are simply a camping device.
They have no business camping in residential areas.
Folk don't pay council tax, etc. to have to tolerate what amounts to traveller sites on their doorsteps.
That's what campsites are for

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Motor home, caravan, tent....same principle, nothing special about MHs, they are simply a camping device.
They have no business camping in residential areas.
Folk don't pay council tax, etc. to have to tolerate what amounts to traveller sites on their doorsteps.
That's what campsites are for

A motorhome is not a tent or caravan, in most cases it is transport as well and needs space to park, shop whatever ....... and most motorhomers are also council tax payers and don't consider themselves 'travelers'

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
A motorhome is not a tent or caravan, in most cases it is transport as well and needs space to park, shop whatever ....... and most motorhomers are also council tax payers and don't consider themselves 'travelers'

Every camping means needs space to park, shop, whatever.
They are not parking to shop, it seems they are camping in every sense of the word, so camper / caravan / whatever, they are essentially the same thing...camping machines.

The "they dont consider themselves 'travellers'" thing doesnt wash.
They behave like travellers, they should be treated as such.
Likewise, the the "they are council tax payers" thing doesn't wash, either.
Council tax is paid in an area for the benefit of that area, it's a local, not national, tax.
They don't pay council tax in the area they are taking for granted / abusing.
Would you accept your road / street / whatever being permanently full of long term parked caravans and motorhomes being ok as the norm, based on the premise that it's ok to park outside your house because they pay council tax on the Isle of Bute?

I would soon have a sense of humour failure.

This scenario is no different.

Use sites, that's what they are for.
Parking on the highway or in residential areas is not "wilding".
It's taking the piss.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Every camping means needs space to park, shop, whatever.
They are not parking to shop, it seems they are camping in every sense of the word, so camper / caravan / whatever, they are essentially the same thing...camping machines.
The "they dont consider themselves 'travellers'" thing doesnt wash.
They behave like travellers, they should be treated as such.
Nor does the "they are council tax payers" thing doesn't wash.
Council tax is paid in an area for the benefit of that area, it's a local, not national, tax.
They don't pay council tax in the area they are taking for granted / abusing.
Would you accept your road / street / whatever being permanently full of long term parked caravans and motorhomes being ok as the norm, based on the premise that it's ok to park outside your house because they pay council tax on the Isle of Bute?
I would soon have a sense of humour failure.
This scenario is no different.
Use sites, that's what they are for.
Parking on the highway or in residential areas is not "wilding".
It's taking the piss.

Campers, caravanners have independant means of transport, motorhomes don't

Providing facilities for motorhomers and 'travelers' is a positive, merely moving the problem on does just that.... moves it on

Providing facilities - for travelers or 'wilders' for instance - might cut down the abuse of public spaces and parkland

If facilities were provided it should be with strict enforcement..... heavy fines, impounding vehicles

Do you really think 'travelers' or 'wilders' will just disappear?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Campsites are never close by and parking for motorhomes is rarely provided..... anywhere
2265 places on my poi download set currently.
Campers, caravanners have independant means of transport, motorhomes don't.
And nobody forces us to buy motorhomes but we do so knowing of the parking limitations.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Campers, caravanners have independant means of transport, motorhomes don't

Providing facilities for motorhomers and 'travelers' is a positive, merely moving the problem on does just that.... moves it on

Providing facilities - for travelers or 'wilders' for instance - might cut down the abuse of public spaces and parkland

If facilities were provided it should be with strict enforcement..... heavy fines, impounding vehicles

Do you really think 'travelers' or 'wilders' will just disappear?

Provide facilities for "wilders", they will no longer be "wilders".
The only way facilities could be provided is by way of pay as you use sites, one of which is apparently quite close to the area being abused.
Most areas like the one in question have bus services, the motorhome isn't the only means of transport available, people aren't tied to them.
The fact that motorhomes don't have an independent means of transport is a matter of choice....our own choice.
We choose those vehicles, we are not forced to either have them or go to places which are inconvenient to us.

Why should the population at large live in an impromptu travellers' camp?
The people abusing the area don't live in a tip at home, I'm sure.

Yes, travellers and piss takers can be removed from the picture.
The strict enforcement you suggest, be it heavy fines and immediate vehicle confiscations would clear them.

I've no problem with wild camping, but again, this is taking the piss.
Look at your own street and imagine a traveller camp there.

We saw it on the Lincs coast and we were all tarred with the same brush, even though the area's motorhomers generally were supportive of the anti piss taking measures imposed.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
2265 places on my poi download set currently.

And nobody forces us to buy motorhomes but we do so knowing of the parking limitations.

I don't think we find the parking limitations until we have actually bought the first MH

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The fact that motorhomes don't have an independent means of transport is a matter of choice....our own choice.
We choose those vehicles, we are not forced to either have them or go to places which are inconvenient to us.

I bought my last motorhome, not to go motorhoming but to be able to transport my disabled wife, the use of an accessible toilet etc which provided her with some quality of life and not to be housebound

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Fair comment, BB.
Power to your elbow, I would do the same.

I'm sure that can't be said of the folk in question who are taking the p, though.
There will always be piss takers and genuine cases.

The piss takers need sorting out, or we will have nowhere to park, site or wild.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think we find the parking limitations until we have actually bought the first MH
I agree, I didn't realise at first. However, rather than whinge about how "they" should pander to the relatively few of us, or simply park/camp selfishly, I decided to do something positive. There is rather more parking available for motorhomes in many places now than there was 10 years ago.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
They were still there when we bought the second?

When I changed my MH after my wife's death I bo
I agree, I didn't realise at first. However, rather than whinge about how "they" should pander to the relatively few of us, or simply park/camp selfishly, I decided to do something positive. There is rather more parking available for motorhomes in many places now than there was 10 years ago.

I appreciate all your work in finding/creating more spaces for us - but should it be so difficult to find suitable spaces anyway?

I don't whinge (apart from about you know who) but object to being treated like a second class road user who sometimes needs to park in places other than campsites or lay-byes in the middle of nowhere

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I appreciate all your work in finding/creating more spaces for us - but should it be so difficult to find suitable spaces anyway?

I don't whinge (apart from about you know who) but object to being treated like a second class road user who sometimes needs to park in places other than campsites or lay-byes in the middle of nowhere
Of course it's going to be difficult to find spaces. Local authorities (and other car park owners) have to balance the needs of a few hundred thousand motorhome owners (many of whom are happy to use permanent or temporary caravan sites) against millions of car owners - and the numbers dictate which will be most catered for.

Add in the fact that the demand for motorhome parking is virtually nil in many council areas and it is bound to be more difficult in those areas.

That isn't treating anyone like a second class citizen, just simple common sense logic.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I live in Worthing, know Broadwater green very well and pass these vehicles on a regular basis. I have spoken with friends and a colleague who passes this spot twice a day. None of us have ever had cause to believe that anyone is living or even overnighting in these vehicles. If you read the article, it does not state that anyone is living/overnighting in them. They are parked there, presumably because the owners do not have off road parking facility. This stretch of road is a dual carriageway, there are no parking restrictions on this section and if they have adequate road tax and insurance, then what is the issue here? The nearest residents are approximately 50 metres away. Yet the complainants in the article live in Russell Close and Goldsmith Road, both half a mile away and not within view of the vehicles. So on the basis of these local residents resenting the look of these parked MH's whilst on their way to the shops, the council is involved and some of you want to banish them.

Keith :cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I live in Worthing, know Broadwater green very well and pass these vehicles on a regular basis. I have spoken with friends and a colleague who passes this spot twice a day. None of us have ever had cause to believe that anyone is living or even overnighting in these vehicles. If you read the article, it does not state that anyone is living/overnighting in them. They are parked there, presumably because the owners do not have off road parking facility. This stretch of road is a dual carriageway, there are no parking restrictions on this section and if they have adequate road tax and insurance, then what is the issue here? The nearest residents are approximately 50 metres away. Yet the complainants in the article live in Russell Close and Goldsmith Road, both half a mile away and not within view of the vehicles. So on the basis of these local residents resenting the look of these parked MH's whilst on their way to the shops, the council is involved and some of you want to banish them.

Keith :cool:

Thanks for the local information. Just goes to prove you cannot believe everything thats printed in the newspapers. Just a thought, I dont suppose any of the distant complainants would have any interest in nearby campsites would they.....No, of course that would be wrong of me to think such a thing :cautious:.

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You can see there is a large number of parked vehicles on google maps street view including vans, caravans, and what I think is the motorhome at the root of the complaints.
Hmm. Doesn't look nice and to be honest I would want that 'stored' across the road from me for months on end.
Link to street view -
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1sx4_OjeB_GjnPkwAD5lVq6g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just 'driven' down that streetview and apart from the scruffy (but interesting) RV type there is a Transit camper, a coachbuilt MH, a caravan with flat tyres there are two large removal vans, bouncy castle van and other commercials, so not exactly full of Motorhomes

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
You can see there is a large number of parked vehicles on google maps street view including vans, caravans, and what I think is the motorhome at the root of the complaints.
Hmm. Doesn't look nice and to be honest I would want that 'stored' across the road from me for months on end.
Link to street view -
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1sx4_OjeB_GjnPkwAD5lVq6g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Agree, but possibly the other cars parked there are residents cars (those residents overlooking Broadwater Green) - just a thought.

If that is the case, it shouldn't be too difficult for West Sussex CC to legally inforce a no parking zone except for resident badge holders (but they may have to pay for the privilege !!!).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back