Calling all guitar players.. your group needs you! (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
sorry jim regards steve i dont drink or smoke just like live music and our new to us motorhome

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It depends on whether the guitar has a 'compensated' bridge. If it is identical both sides, the strings can be swapped over so that it's played the other way round.

It depends also on the knut ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Currently down to my last 5 guitars as I have sold a few that didn't get played too much.
Les Paul, Strat, Tele, two Yamaha electro-acoustics and a Hofner Shorty travel guitar.
Just realised that's six!
My biggest weakness though is effects pedals. I'm always buying them and then selling them again until I find the exact tone I'm looking for. I've got a cupboard full of them at home and quite a few with me in the van!

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Just looking at getting a travel guitar fof when I'm away in the van. Any recommendations. Currently favouring the Taylot GS Mini but wondering if its a bit big. Still a paper exercise at the moment as haven't been near a guitar shop with a selection.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hmmm.....
How big are your hands?
This might determine how small you can go. The smaller the guitar, the shorter the neck and the closer together the frets become.
The GS mini has a scale length of 23.5" which is 2" less than a Fender Strat for example and 1.25 less than most Gibsons.
If you want to go smaller there is the Baby Taylor at 22.75 which is nearly 3" less than a Fender.
My favourite small guitar is the Sigma TM15 which has a scale length of 23" which I can manage to get my fingers around reasonably comfortably and is considerably cheaper than the Taylor's.
It's Martins "budget" line but made exceptionally well and the TM15E has a great sound when amplified.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have small hands but play a Taylor 314 which has a wider than normal nut (great for fingerstyle). Tone is important but then so is the amount of room it takes up. I've taken my full size guitar with me on short trips but it may just get a bit in the way on longer ones. I'll check out the Sigma.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oh dear, wondering whether to contact ex now to borrow a guitar... mmmm. Would love to join.. will think about this one.. Thanks for the chance.

I have a problem with my left hand in that no top joint of little finger so can't reach certain strings.. a group like this might help show me a way round it.. I remember the guy who played a piano who had missing fingers .. can't remember his name ... and he became a professional.. :)
Russ Conway, but more pertinent would be Django Reinhardt
Jean "Django" Reinhardt[1][2] (French: [dʒãŋɡo ʁɛjnaʁt] or [dʒɑ̃ɡo ʁenɑʁt]; 23 January 1910 – 16 May 1953) was a Belgium-born French guitarist and composer of Romani ethnicity.[3][4]

Reinhardt is regarded as one of the greatest guitar players of all time; he was the first important European jazz musician who made major contributions to the development of the guitar genre. After his third and fourth fingers were paralyzed when he suffered burns in a fire, Reinhardt used only the index and middle fingers of his left hand on his solos. He created an entirely new style of jazz guitar technique (sometimes called 'hot' jazz guitar), which has since become a living musical tradition within French Gypsy culture. With violinistStéphane Grappelli, Reinhardt co-founded the Quintette du Hot Club de France, described by critic Thom Jurek as "one of the most original bands in the history of recorded jazz".[5]Reinhardt's most popular compositions have become jazz standards, including "Minor Swing", "Daphne", "Belleville", "Djangology", "Swing '42", and "Nuages".

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh dear, wondering whether to contact ex now to borrow a guitar... mmmm. Would love to join.. will think about this one.. Thanks for the chance.

I have a problem with my left hand in that no top joint of little finger so can't reach certain strings.. a group like this might help show me a way round it.. I remember the guy who played a piano who had missing fingers .. can't remember his name ... and he became a professional.. :)

Russ Conway, but more pertinent would be Django Reinhardt
. After his third and fourth fingers were paralyzed when he suffered burns in a fire, Reinhardt used only the index and middle fingers of his left hand on his solos. .

Or open G tuning a la Keef Richards. You don't usually need to use more than 2 fingers on the frets and the major cords are played by making a barre chord with one finger across all strings. There are probably other methods you could use as well. Depends what you want to play really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back