Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Just back from 7 weeks in France, despite good weather used it twice.
A pain to clean, especially when not on a site, and with gas bottle heavy and takes up a lot of room in a van conversion. Think we'll ditch it and carry a couple of disposables which can be replaced as required.
Wife not so sure, says it's useful as an Outdoor oven for whole chickens etc, which I think we've used it for once in about 8 years.
Could fit an external gas connection but still don't see us using it more often.
Anyone else go rid?

PS, anyone want to buy an 8 year old Cadac, (needs cleaned)?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have an external BBQ point. I obtained a gas ring for £30 and have a griddle pan. This enables us to use the ring for general cooking outside along with the option to griddle various grills (steaks fish etc). Also have Camping gas 907 bottle and a screw on top burner plate. Now this gives us the option to use heat source to cook two items at once.
Although we have a larger MH we also carry gas BBQ. I probably can say used it about three times this summer and only when we were invaded by the kids

Sportsnapper

Free Member
Sep 3, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
Since 2004
We've the latest model and an external bbq point. Used prob 12 times in a three-week stint in France, either for lunch, dinner or just pizza for lunch. Cooked breakfast the other week at Lincoln. Cleaning just needs some v hot water and a spare bowl so not to get greasy stuff in the grey water tank.
IMG_4071.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One of these with whatever pan you need on top! They are usually under £10 and the cartridges for them cost £4 for 4 normally and last for a LONG time.

upload_2018-10-10_10-6-31.jpeg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
One of these with whatever pan you need on top! They are usually under £10 and the cartridges for them cost £4 for 4 normally and last for a LONG time.

View attachment 260648

(y)
Agree... As long as you pay no more than £1 a can you cant go wrong. I often stock up when they do offers at the shows or places like B&M / Homebargains do them on offer.
Quick easy and handy.. We drove down to Benidorm recently and i took mine in the back of the car so we could have a proper brew on route.. :D

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We don't wash ours at all now. Just a squirt with some Flash Power I think it's called and a wipe with kitchen roll and it's good as new.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
A friend has one and uses the heat silicone mat thingies, brill, no real dirty cleaning, just dunk the mat.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Love our Safari Chef and wouldn't be without it - its the most compact, versatile and easiest to clean gas BBQ we've had.

We don't wash ours whilst we're away - we just wipe it out with kitchen towel between uses. If you do it whilst its still slightly warm then its easy to get most of the residue off the griddle and out of the drip pan...even after cooking sweet chilli chicken (the sugar from the sweet chilli marinade tends to burn on a bit).

When it needs packing away we just put the slightly dirty parts in a plastic carrier bag and then pack away as normal. We only wash it after the last use of the trip....and only then if we're on a campsite so we can use their sinks (otherwise we wait till we get home).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For many years I had a (Spanish) Cast Iron one NEVER washed it, just wiped it with Olive Oil and Kitchen Towel. Washing kills the "prooving" IMV. Same aplied to the old cast iron pots and pans Mother had when I was a Kid.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

View attachment 260648

That’s all we use.

I think I read on here that they are banned in Australia because they can explode if the cartridge overheats.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

View attachment 260648
We use one of them lol the time far better than the Smev hob rings in the van. We also have the barbecue version a bit more expensive but does steaks well, picked one up when Robert Dyas had them on clearance for £22.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I found them not to bad to clean once I have finished cooking remove the food, leave cadac on high setting until it stops smoking turn off and allow it to cool down, all the food and grease debris on the deflector plate turn to ash and can be wiped off, the rest of the barbecue I just spray with dettol kitchen spray and wipe off.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had a Cadac Braiie, just a big enamelled dish over a gas ring standing on three legs, great for bacon eggs sausages and stir fry’s especially. We used that almost every day whilst camping. We graduated to the Cadac Safari Chef with all the different plates, grilles etc. We only used it half a dozen times, it was just too much bother to clean, pack up or transport, it’s in my.garage at home now gathering dust, if anyone’s interested make me a reasonable offer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hot soapy water and a cloth. Don’t see the problem.

If a Cadac is too difficult to clean then so is a frying pan.
... but at least with a frying pan you can use it inside too ... that with a simple stove does the same job for a fraction of the price and less 'bulk' to carry.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
... but at least with a frying pan you can use it inside too ... that with a simple stove does the same job for a fraction of the price and less 'bulk' to carry.
It doesn't do the same job though.....the flavour of something cooked in a frying pan is very different to the char-grill flavour of something cooked on an open griddle over a flame where the fat can drip through and occasionally flare up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It doesn't do the same job though.....the flavour of something cooked in a frying pan is very different to the char-grill flavour of something cooked on an open griddle over a flame where the fat can drip through and occasionally flare up.
Ah, so you're one of the few people who use the Cadac as a 'proper' BBQ rather than just a griddle plate on top ... you're a rare beastie! :D

We have a gas BBQ, similar to the canister stove above, which has the open grid and it works a treat, lovely flavour.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've got the Safari Chef 2 and find it very good for cooking generally. I like using the lid for paella and risotto. We had the bigger one with legs but it was too big for two and a PITA to clean because of its size. I don't find it particularly good for bbq though. We have a small Weber charcoal bbq which I will bring with us next time to do steaks, etc.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We’ve gone thru just about every portable BBQ over the years and still don’t think they’re worth it-for us.
We now carry a gas ring/burner with a camping gaz type cylinder and I just use my pans for things like steak, fish etc. We’ve given up on BBQ-ing.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We just bought a Weber 1200, with a stand. It looks a great bit of kit, so our Cadac is being made redundant, was good to use but a nightmare to wash. I always used disposable gloves.
I just need to work out how to attach the Weber to the gas attachment on the van.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.