Cab lead acid battery charging when using B2B and LiPo battery in habitation area (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all, I will not be using my home parked MH during the winter and wish to maintain the cab battery.
I have experienced 2 Airbag ECU failures for low voltage level and wish to keep the voltage to an acceptable level.
I have a new Yuasa battery fitted in the cab, a BTB LiPo battery and solar system in the habitation area the LiPo battery is maintained by Victron LiPo charger, the vehicle is a Weinsberg Pepper based on a Peugeot Boxer 2018. The B2B to the cab battery leads are protected by 50A and 2A fuses.
I have an Lidl intelligent charger which I intend to use to charge the cab lead acid battery.
My questions are:-
1) Do I have remove the fuses in the connecting leads between the cab lead acid battery and the B2B ?
2) Can I connect the charger without disconnecting the cab battery
3) Can I charge the cab battery by the jump start points under the bonnet?

Hope these points have not been covered before, I was unable to find if they have.
Derek

OP
OP
DesandDek
May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
My own choice would be to go for an Ablemail AMT12 Battery Maintainer as well.

If you choose not to, but decide to use a battery charger on the Starter Battery (which is a perfectly valid option, but not as neat as a AMT12, which would give more flexibility), then the answer to your question 1 ...
My questions are:-
1) Do I have remove the fuses in the connecting leads between the cab lead acid battery and the B2B ?
is "maybe". If your B2B is activated by voltage levels (many are nowadays), then when you charge the Starter Battery, as soon as it reaches the activation level of the B2B, you will turn that on and you will be charging the Leisure Battery as well. It may not matter, but probably not something you intended to happen :)
If the B2B is turned on only when the Engine is running (D+ Signal) or Ignition being on, then no worries, but if by voltage levels alone and it can get more complicated.
With a device such as the AMT12 that won't happen as it will maintain it at no more than ~12.8V, which will be lower than the activation voltage of any B2B with standard settings, so this is the simplier option in fact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back