LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry.. its bloody cold out there and I really do not wanna faff around out there at the moment !

The cab battery is coming up to 5 years old.. It is proly a cheapo thing and I know it is starting to get tired as it suffers when cold and cranks slowly even though it SEEMS to be fully charged..
Bike batteries I always change around the 5 year mark and have tended to do the same with all my other vehicles.

Can someone tell me what battery type is fitted ( other than it being 95aH I believe ? )
A number would be good :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I replaced ours at 8 years only to find no change, it was the earth scrap.

I cried for a week.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As long as it is an 019 then it'll fit. Just had to replace the battery in the car after 4 years. Same battery only because it is start/stop it needs an AGM one :crying: advanced battery supplies don't charge for delivery.... next day delivery as well.:xThumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given what it does I am not too fussed about total capacity, only cranking power.. So a 95aH will do the job for me :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Now you've made me think! I replaced hab batteries about 6/7 years ago and they're fine. But as far as I am aware the cab battery is the original and the van is coming up for 10 years old! Wonder if I should be worried? Come to think of it, I haven't even looked at it for at least 4 years - first job when I bring it home to load up for winter break.

And to think, once upon a time I used to check batteries every week. Must be getting lazy in my old age.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I used the batterymegastore to get my new cab and hab batteries a few months ago. Good prices & delivered v quickly. I think they have an Ebay shop as well.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our starter battery gave up the ghost this morning. Rang the AA via Safeguard and the guy turned up within the hour on our drive. He jumped started the motorhome and then confirmed the alternator was charging and also the original battery was buggered. He had about 6 Yuasa batteries on his van. He had a slightly smaller battery which fitted our van which was same Ampere Hour and Cold Cranking capacity. After offering the Yuasa on to the battery shelf, he confirmed it would fit and the tails reached the terminals. An hour after he'd arrived, new battery fitted and paid for £139.95 with four year guarantee.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is worth considering what a failing battery does to the alternator

If a battery starts to fail due to sulfation ( for instance ) the 'per cell voltages' will start to drop.
The alternator will keep on working flat out to try and get the battery voltage up to what it believes it should be..
So a failing battery does make an alternator work bloody hard and can cause its demise

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our starter battery gave up the ghost this morning. Rang the AA via Safeguard and the guy turned up within the hour on our drive. He jumped started the motorhome and then confirmed the alternator was charging and also the original battery was buggered. He had about 6 Yuasa batteries on his van. He had a slightly smaller battery which fitted our van which was same Ampere Hour and Cold Cranking capacity. After offering the Yuasa on to the battery shelf, he confirmed it would fit and the tails reached the terminals. An hour after he'd arrived, new battery fitted and paid for £139.95 with four year guarantee.

@canopus Ken did you have any warning battery was failing? That happened to me on my car couple of weeks ago and now I'm concerned my cab battery is going to do the same. Van starts fine every time, solar panels keep batteries fully charged whilst in storage, even at this time of year.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The van had been in for a minor repair and they'd had it for 2 weeks. They garaged the van of an evening and commented that they'd had to jump start it a couple of times. I drove it back Saturday and it was fine. On Monday morning, it wouldn't turn over when I wanted to move it on the drive. No real warning prior to this Terry, but we've had the van four years and the battery was on when we bought it.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
@canopus Ken did you have any warning battery was failing? That happened to me on my car couple of weeks ago and now I'm concerned my cab battery is going to do the same. Van starts fine every time, solar panels keep batteries fully charged whilst in storage, even at this time of year.
I changed mine at 7 years as a precaution
The actual failure normally occurs when it's not convenient !
As jaws eluded, it's not really saving anything by stretching it out. I considered 7 years to be satisfactory and changed it

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hmmm - after reading this and remembering Colins (CherryPirate) experience at Algeciras last year have decided to replace it. Local Halfords can do - I know I can do it myself/ buy elsewhere cheaper but these days, and also bearing in mind the weight, I'd prefer to let someone else have the hassle.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Just take the van to any workshop & they'll test it for you. Get it done every year & you should be ok.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Isn't battery lifespan a weird thing? I had a Land Rover Discovery who's original battery lasted 11years, but a Sierra diesel one that barely did 18months before giving up the ghost.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Isn't battery lifespan a weird thing? I had a Land Rover Discovery who's original battery lasted 11years, but a Sierra diesel one that barely did 18months before giving up the ghost.
The AGM battery on the Jaaag went after just less than four years, but daughter's X registered Mondeo had the original battery until 2 weeks ago........

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just take the van to any workshop & they'll test it for you. Get it done every year & you should be ok.
Unless they are using a load tester and your battery is not anything but an old fashioned flood fill..
In which case ( and unsure why ) the test will do for the battery !!
AGM and gel batteries have to be tested with a digital battery tester specifically for the purpose

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Was it this one?

Link Removed

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
No if you check the drop down menu for a Sprinter 616 Cdi, the battery shown doesn't have the balls to start a 162HP 5 cylinder engine.

The one you've shown is for a Mercedes E Class car.

It is this battery
http://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx3019.html

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've never really trusted these "instant" battery tests, especially after a certain well known motorhome dealer workshop tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with a battery that effectively wouldn't hold a charge over a 48 hour period. As said above, a "drop test" would probably kill it anyway and the only real test IMO is a slow measured discharge e.g. a known load over a timed period.

So this is the one I've ordered http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-batteries/yuasa-12v-silver-car-battery-hsb019-5-yr-guarantee

Correct battery for the vehicle, price includes fitting and a lifetime (of the vehicle it's fitted to) guarantee. They do cheaper ones but I'm happy at £129.

It's called "peace of mind".

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Went with Tanya in the end.. Type 19.. Find the Tanya facebook page, click on Like and get a couple of quidlets off
Four year guarantee.. £82 delivered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back