Susanna

Free Member
Nov 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Newbie here again,

I've never bought a vehicle on Ebay before and I'm a little nervous about it but I've found one that seems like a good deal (except that it's in Wales and I'm in Sussex, so picking it up will be an adventure in and of itself) Does anyone have any advice, given that in order to win an auction, I'll need to commit to the money, but would want to have the van checked out before I actually paid for it?
Apologies if this sounds like a silly question - totally new territory for me!

SL.

OP
OP
Susanna

Susanna

Free Member
Nov 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Well, yes. Maybe I didn't word my question properly..

HOW do people buy a vehicle on eBay if it is located too far from them to make it practical to look at it in person before buying it?

This van is in North Wales and I'm in Sussex. I could drive my car up there, see it in person and hand over the cash, but then I've got a car and a van on my one pair of hands.

I'm looking for advice please on how to pull this off. What have other people done in a situation like this?

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015

HOW do people buy a vehicle on eBay if it is located too far from them to make it practical to look at it in person before buying it?

This van is in North Wales and I'm in Sussex. I could drive my car up there, see it in person and hand over the cash, but then I've got a car and a van on my one pair of hands.

I'm looking for advice please on how to pull this off. What have other people done in a situation like this?
Train or take someone with you to drive the car back

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
BTW you only get 5 free posts they you will be required to become a paid up member.
It's the best 15 quid we spend a year on this great hobby of ours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
View vehicle if happy pay deposit drive up to collect with someone or use bus and train to collect vehicle

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Take someone with you who knows about vehicles and also ask the vendor if they're willing to have it surveyed by a third party ie AA RAC or similar.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Quite a good idea to post a picture or link on here so that others can see it and perhaps advise on whether it’s good or not, also be aware that there are quite a few scams on eBay! You need to be extra extra careful.
Good luck(y)(y)(y) and welcome to Fun.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

A motorhome is a huge complex vehicle with so many ways to become worthless you would be insane to buy without a very serious examination involving a damp meter and of course good test run a viewing of maintenance records.

I can see this ending in tears.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Pay someone in the area to check it out for you! Garage etc! Or only buy locally!

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Take someone with you who knows about vehicles and also ask the vendor if they're willing to have it surveyed by a third party ie AA RAC or similar.
If you BUY IT on e bay, remember you gave bought it and too late to inspect after the event
Take this advice before you buy

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
If it’s too far to view beforehand then DON’T buy it, it’s that simple.
I’ve bought loads of vehicles from eBay over the years and never without giving it a thorough going over first. I’ve walked away from more than I’ve bought.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's so tempting to rush into buying a motorhome once you've got the bug. I think this sounds too complicated & risky to be worthwhile.
There are bound to be vehicles closer to where you live.
Look on the classified section here. At least you know members here will answer all your questions.
Be careful with online ads---- as others have said there are loads of scam adverts. Usually they aren't available to show you the vehicle which belonged to a recently deceased brother/ father/ brother in law. Offer to have the vehicle delivered to you and tell you your money will be safe in "PayPal escrow account" You'll never see the vehicle, or your money again.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Definitely don't let them know you have a load of cash on you.

Take a friend who knows about what you are buying.

Take a damp meter and walk away if there are any readings over 20%.

Do not under any circumstances pay any money before seeing the van.

Jim has done a guide for buying a van but I think you need to be a member to down load it. It may be the best £15 you will ever spend.

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Please take on board all the advice you are given on here, it's free but it is invaluable, Ebay scammers love
people like yourself who have little knowledge of motorhomes.
Never ever part with any money not even a deposit till you physically see the vehicle and get a competent
person to inspect it. Also proof of ownership, if you can get the reg number it's possible to check previous
Mot's. Unfortunately there are many pitfalls buying used motorhomes so take it slowly and be extremely
cautious.

Ray

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
It May look like the right one but distance buying of a vehicle on e bay is fraught with problems. Patience can pay dividends there will be another vehicle along soon that is more easily acquired.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
If it’s an auction and you are the winning bidder then you have a contract to buy but only if the item you’ve bought is as described and has no ther major faults if so you can walk away. Only pay a small deposit before collection. If it’s not as described e Bay will refund you (eventually).
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I have sold vehicles via ebay I have always insisted that anyone interested comes to view.

A genuine seller will answer any and all questions and make you welcome.

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Biggest Ebay con is sellers asking for a deposit, you turn up and the account has been hacked, no van and deposit gone.

If the seller is genuine get his address, ask questions, look on google maps do as much digging as you can but I would not pay any deposit.

Visit, view, test, decide and if all ok pay and drive away.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I arranged to buy a car off ebay classified.
Looked at the pictures, read the description, rang the dealer, all looked good.
The dealer dealt in sports cars and high end 4x4s... RangeRover, porche etc and seemed respectable and they took it in as a trade in.
I paid a returnable £250 deposit to hold the car and bought train tickets then arranged my insurance to be transfered to the new car.
When I got there the car was a pile of junk and worth around 20% of the asking price. I got my deposit back on the spot but it still cost me another £100 in train fares to get home, plus the initial fares, and time explaining to my insurers I'd been duped and needed to transfer insurance back again. Luckily they didn't charge their normal fee again.
It's one of those things you have to take a chance on and be prepared to walk away and lose a little money.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you BUY IT on e bay, remember you gave bought it and too late to inspect after the event
Take this advice before you buy
Actually that's not true, Ebay does not insist that you actually go ahead with a purchase of a vehicle and such like, they are do not provide any protection for buyers either, nor do Paypals, so if you DO pay a deposit you are unlikely to get it back if there are problems and you don't go ahead.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle unless I completely happy with it and certainly not a MH off Ebay without thoroughly checking it out first. There are LOTS of scams on Ebay for vehicles so you have to tread very, very carefully.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Actually that's not true, Ebay does not insist that you actually go ahead with a purchase of a vehicle and such like, they are do not provide any protection for buyers either, nor do Paypals, so if you DO pay a deposit you are unlikely to get it back if there are problems and you don't go ahead.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle unless I completely happy with it and certainly not a MH off Ebay without thoroughly checking it out first. There are LOTS of scams on Ebay for vehicles so you have to tread very, very carefully.
Mel
I agree, but what i suppose i meant was that post sale was not a time to re-negotiate price if a fault(s) found...unless vendor a willing seller

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Susanna

Susanna

Free Member
Nov 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to write something helpful! I agree that caution is necessary! The MOT records look good and I have asked the seller if I can send an AA mechanic to check it out and they seem fine with the idea. I do have misgivings about the distance, but if it checks out, I think it might be worth the trek up there. I've used AA to check out remote vehicles before and was very happy with the professionalism of the mechanic and the thoroughness of the report.

I will want to change the interior eventually, but I'm impressed with how liveable it seems right away. Other vans I've seen in this price range are usually not finished this well or with this many amenities. Perhaps the price is a reflection of the area where it's for sale?

Here's the listing. If anyone would care to look it over and tell me what you think from the point of view of having previously owned campers, I'd appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi Susanna

It looks to me that it is a self build. Some self builds can be on par or even better than the established converters, whilst others can be no better than a van with some old cupboards thrown into it with little or no insulation, and with little regard made to the standards relating to gas, water and electricity installation in the van. The photos in the advert don't show any detail of the services, so that there would need to be further investigation there. Even if you send an AA mechanic to look at it, they will only look and report on the vehicle side and not on the habitation side.

If you are interested, you need to go and look at it yourself and ideally with someone who knows their way around a campervan. If it all looks ok, then get the AA to inspect the mechanical side of the van and also get a habitation check done on the interior. Don't be tempted to bid on it without looking as the camera can hide a multitude of sins.

Good luck

Cheers

Trevor

PS you are now up to 4 free posts, so consider subscribing to get further help (only £15 a year) from other members

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Susanna. I don't mind trying to help if you want me to and if it is not too far from me.

I live in the Conwy area and have some experience of motorhomes. I am prepared to go and have a look at it purely as an initial inspection to help decide if you want to book a proper mechanical report. I will have to say that I'm offering on the proviso that it is not too far from where I live as Conwy is a big county taking in coastal towns which are easy access and some of the wilds of Snowdonia which are not.

I guess that you may have to join MotorhomeFun as your current membership won't allow you to send me a private message but as mentioned previously in this thread, the £15 joining fee will repay itself many, many times over once you get into it properly. It's not a good idea to leave contact details on the open forum.

Martin

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Susanna. I don't mind trying to help if you want me to and if it is not too far from me.

I live in the Conwy area and have some experience of motorhomes. I am prepared to go and have a look at it purely as an initial inspection to help decide if you want to book a proper mechanical report. I will have to say that I'm offering on the proviso that it is not too far from where I live as Conwy is a big county taking in coastal towns which are easy access and some of the wilds of Snowdonia which are not.

I guess that you may have to join MotorhomeFun as your current membership won't allow you to send me a private message but as mentioned previously in this thread, the £15 joining fee will repay itself many, many times over once you get into it properly. It's not a good idea to leave contact details on the open forum.

Martin
True funster!

Looks like a genuine ad and yes a self build. Maybe a genuine reason for sale is that the youngster in the photo has grown too big for that cab bed. I can’t help wondering what the chains are attached to in the overcab?

Ask the question about insulation and how the inside was put together.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back