LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I may have boobed. I have fitted the Bullfinch BBQ point in the fibreglass skirt of the Swift, next to the Gaslow I fitted earlier. The Gaslow filler is piped with their great thick flex.

I was about pipe Bullfinch with plastic coated 8mm copper but then the penny dropped, this panel is a little flexible and I think over time the copper will harden and snap.

So plan B: is two Fullham gas connectors, 8mm copper to rubber gas pipe and a short loop of low pressure gas pipe to allow for the vibrations in the skirt goin to work ?

Either that or I start looking for somewhere rigid and cut another 60mm hole.

Any advice folks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Here is just the job mechanically if it is truly flexible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think I may have boobed. I have fitted the Bullfinch BBQ point in the fibreglass skirt of the Swift, next to the Gaslow I fitted earlier. The Gaslow filler is piped with their great thick flex.

I was about pipe Bullfinch with plastic coated 8mm copper but then the penny dropped, this panel is a little flexible and I think over time the copper will harden and snap.

So plan B: is two Fullham gas connectors, 8mm copper to rubber gas pipe and a short loop of low pressure gas pipe to allow for the vibrations in the skirt goin to work ?

Either that or I start looking for somewhere rigid and cut another 60mm hole.

Any advice folks.

Hi brian... my sdvice..youer overthinking it :LOL:
Put a little brace on the skirt to stiffer it up if you think it needs it...
Works for the lpg external fills im sure it wil support a bbq point..
Andy..

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi brian... my sdvice..youer overthinking it :LOL:
Put a little brace on the skirt to stiffer it up if you think it needs it...
Andy..

You may well be right but can't take chances with gas. I never thought of a brace.

Copper is funny stuff, it work hardens, bend it and it goes stiffer and stiffer then breaks. I've witnessed this so many times with copper wires, I'll sleep better with some flexible pipe.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Although the bbq point won't really flex due to a connected bbq it will move with the skirt when filling with LPG so it's worth taking precautions. Your solution is perfect.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I was saying that tongue in cheek... :D it seems a sensible precaution to take...(y)
Andy..

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it will move with the skirt when filling with LPG

I was really thinking of the roads and how all the pots and pans leap around.

It's fitted into 5mm of fibreglass, it won't move far but just a little movement mile after mile might snap it

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I was really thinking of the roads and how all the pots and pans leap around.

It's fitted into 5mm of fibreglass, it won't move far but just a little movement mile after mile might snap it
It's possible l suppose but that could apply to any copper gas pipes anywhere on the van. The most likely cause of movement will be the silly oversize UK Autogas nozzle.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The most likely cause of movement will be the silly oversize UK Autogas nozzle.

I got the Gaslow filler very close to the end of the moulding where it is stiffened by the hab door, I was quite happy with that but as you say the filler was really made to fill a Boeing 747.

fireblade2000uk

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
First year almost done!
Having followed the advice from above my flexi hose kit arrived from Germany and I installed the BBQ point this weekend. It took a little longer than I had hoped as I had to work around my Gas-It system but found it easier to disconnect the pigtails, remove the regulator from its mounting and that gave me room to cut the copper pipe and put a T connector in. A small piece of 8mm pipe tp make the connection to the T and then sweated the flexi pipe onto this.

fireblade2000uk

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
First year almost done!
Absolutely right pappajohn however the kit does not come with a connector between the hose and the 8mm T hence having to sweat the pipe onto some 8mm pipe. I couldn't think of another way to spur off post regulator hence the T.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ah, now I just bought the outlet which comes with about 6" of pre-fitted soft copper pipe, and a plain brass T.
T into hose After reg and new rubber hose fitted to outlet tail and T with crimp type connectors.

Second one had copper pipe after the reg so the plain T was changed to a compression T and a couple of inch of suitable copper pipe from the T to fit the rubber hose to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back