Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Doing our research on moho's Thinking is more towards a pre loved one. Budget is £50k but this needs to in clued all the add on's. So if these are not on the moho what could we expect to pay. Mean sort of reversing cam, sat nav, satellite dish for TV, solar panels and any thing else I have not thought of.
Just thought a good anti theft device alarm, tracker.
Would the the TV be left in a pre loved one?
We would be staying in moho for 6+ months a year so want all the home from home comforts.
May be people leave all these in dont know.
When I say preloved was think one that may have just had it first mot so 3 yrs+
May be we could spend a lot less than budget who knows.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
You may be lucky and find one with most of the things fitted but if not I think you should budget for around four thousand pounds or so for those extra things . Keep an eye on the classifieds on here as I have seen many great buys on here.

Upvote 0

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
My suggestion would be to bide your time and wait for the right motorhome that has most if not all of your extras.

They all add up in cost especially if like me you can’t do the work yourself.

Yes make the odd compromise and know you may have to add something but the motorhome that’s fully loaded will defiantly be out there.

When I buy again I will give myself the same advice !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
My suggestion would be to bide your time and wait for the right motorhome that has most if not all of your extras.

They all add up in cost especially if like me you can’t do the work yourself.

Yes make the odd compromise and know you may have to add something but the motorhome that’s fully loaded will defiantly be out there.

When I buy again I will give myself the same

The more I learn about moho's the harder i think it will be to find the right one for us. With the add ons.
Did cross my mind to go back to head of finance ( the wife) and say can't be done. Can I have a bigger budget. LOL and look a the cost of a new one

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did cross my mind to go back to head of finance ( the wife) and say can't be done. Can I have a bigger budget. LOL and look a the cost of a new one
A new one doesn't always come with everything and if it does the price reflects it.... And an inflated price at that.
Anything factory fitted will cost far more than you could buy it for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How much? How deep are your pockets!!

Our new van came with an allowance of £4000 for extras - so we had automatic (or Fiat's version of automatic), solar panel, reversing camera, extra supports in the motorhome frame and roof and a roof rack for the kayaks, extra powerpoints. That little lot came to over the £4K. We do not have a tv system but take a portable tv/dvd when we are away in the winter. If we were away in the winter abroad we may have had a satellite system but room on the roof is already at a premium so more likely to have something we could poke out of a door or a window and put up on the roof as a temporary receiver.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What comes with a pre-loved vehicle really is dependent upon what the first (and subsequent) owners had fitted and what the existing owner will be leaving. This could vary on whether they are replacing the motorhome or giving up.
Might be sensible to make a list of what potential "extras" you would want split into must haves and nice to haves and price these up (outline only?)
When you then start to look at options you'll then have ready to hand what additional costs you would have on the vehicle purchase price. You will then have an almost immediate answer as to a specific vehicle falls into, or out of, your price range. Remember to include road fund, insurance, MOT, etc.
You could also use the outline options price-list as a possible negotiation tool with the current owner as to whether they would leave an item\s with you paying a little bit extra for this\them.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2018
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki Swift 679
Exp
Installed a reversing camera to a Bailey 750. I already have a Garmin wireless camera installed, comes on when I select reverse but its got a very slow refresh. It's so slow you could be over the edge of a cliff wondering what happened and the camera still showed you in the carpark! Works ok, if you are a slow mover. I tow a small trailer and the reason for the second camera was to keep an eye on the trailer whilst driving (can't see it in the mirrors). Bailey has the option of using the already fitted wiring harness, that starts from where the boiler's situated to a back locker but the system they sell to fit the harness is very expensive, its the WAECO RV 555 at a cool £450 ! So decided to buy a cheap Ebay wired camera £39.99. Had one of these fitted to my previous motorhome and it lasted 6 years. The only issue I had with the old one was that the camera brackets started to look a little tatty. However you would buy another four complete systems or 9 replacement cameras for the cost of the WAECO! More than happy with the picture quality. The Ebay system comes with 10 meters of cable that also carries the live to the camera and is vey easy to fit.

Ebay search :-

18LEDs Reversing Rear View Camera+12V-24V 7" LCD Monitor for Bus Truck Motorhome

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If buying pre loved it will probably have all you need.
Buying new you may need deep pockets if just looking at the base price. Our van we had £10,000 of factory options (after discount) then I fitted another £3,000 of bits and now spending over £7k on air suspension.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Only piece of advice, ....dont buy the wrong van with the wrong layout just because it has the right extras

One part of the question, if the owner leaves the TV in the vehicle ( which takes 10 seconds to remove) , .......make your own mind up as to why they have left it
1 They are nice people
2 its shagged

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You need to distinguish between extras that are difficult and expensive to change (like automatic gearbox) and those that are easy to add on afterwards, like an awning or TV.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You can spend as much as you like on extras, but you don't need to spend anything.
I spent over £10k on mine and continue to add more each year. You can spend whatever you've got.
Buy second hand and most of the extras may be included for no additional charge.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we bought our current van, it came with a host of extras fitted and the option to buy an auto satellite system with TV, for €1.
So we did.
I have fitted a second battery ( I actually fitted two new batteries to replace the single fitted AGM battery ) and replaced the fitted tv with an Avtex TV which has much better picture and sound quality.
There are few other upgrades I will do in the future, but nothing that needs to be done now.
If we sold the van, I would leave everything as it us, same as when we sold our previous vans.

I know some dealers, when they buy in vans, remove a lot of the goodies left inside and sell them on as used spares.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back