Brittany Ferries - Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Early next year we plan to travel either Portsmouth Santander or Bilbao. We want to stay in Portugal / Spain for about three months, give or take. I could book a firm return date but would much prefer a flexible arrangement. What is the best way of achieving this at the least cost?

Thanks in advance for your replies (y).

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Y
Early next year we plan to travel either Portsmouth Santander or Bilbao. We want to stay in Portugal / Spain for about three months, give or take. I could book a firm return date but would much prefer a flexible arrangement. What is the best way of achieving this at the least cost?

Thanks in advance for your replies (y).
You can book set dates and you have full flexibility to change the booking prior to sailing. If there is any increase in the cost you pay the difference

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Y

You can book set dates and you have full flexibility to change the booking prior to sailing. If there is any increase in the cost you pay the difference

Okay :unsure:. What is the best way of making the changes as the return date approaches and are there rules (there always seems to be rules :().

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Okay :unsure:. What is the best way of making the changes as the return date approaches and are there rules (there always seems to be rules :().
pm on way.
but as said book return its cheaper if you should alter i ring portsmouth direct then the charge they make should or was lower than booking two single crossings .

Deleted User
pm on way.
but as said book return its cheaper if you should alter i ring portsmouth direct then the charge they make should or was lower than booking two single crossings .

I would check that, my past experience is that booking two single trips is the same as booking a return if done at the same time, if the return is booked later then the price may well have altered but if the return crossing is amended the new price would apply in any case.

My advice would be to book the return crossing taking advantage of the lower price for the early booking on the chance that you would use the booked crossing in any case, also there is also the chance that some crossings may get booked up.

Regarding telephoning to amend a crossing my experience in the past is that there is a £15 amendment fee if done this way, done online it is free until 5 days before sailing when a £25 fee applies to both.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You have asked what the cheapest way is to get to Spain/Portugal with flexible return dates.

Forget about ferries to Spain. The cheapest no frills, no bed Ferry is around £350-400 each way and assumes you have a discount code or a member of a club/scheme.
The cheapest way with Flexibility is to use the ferry from Dover to Calais. Pay for a flexi ticket on your return portion only so you can change your return date for no or minimal cost.
Fuel costs from Calais to Irun (Spanish border) cost around €125.00 for a 3.5 T motorhome. (see info below). Toll costs to Spanish border are now eye watering, especially on a return journey. However, using partial tolls you can make the journey using mostly dual carriageway/Motorway for as little as €10-12

All the information you need to make the journey at minimal cost is below. Have a Safe Journey.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You have asked what the cheapest way is to get to Spain/Portugal with flexible return dates.

Forget about ferries to Spain. The cheapest no frills, no bed Ferry is around £350-400 each way and assumes you have a discount code or a member of a club/scheme.
The cheapest way with Flexibility is to use the ferry from Dover to Calais. Pay for a flexi ticket on your return portion only so you can change your return date for no or minimal cost.
Fuel costs from Calais to Irun (Spanish border) cost around €125.00 for a 3.5 T motorhome. (see info below). Toll costs to Spanish border are now eye watering, especially on a return journey. However, using partial tolls you can make the journey using mostly dual carriageway/Motorway for as little as €10-12

All the information you need to make the journey at minimal cost is below. Have a Safe Journey.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

With a Discount code off me or a Funster, 6.5m Motorhome with a 2 berth cabin is from around £265 each way. Not as you quoted "no bed Ferry is around £350-400 each way".

Its been done to death this Ferry to Spain - Drive through France.

There are upsides and downsides to both options. What I give are the facts. I don't try and hide or exaggerate any costs.

Its all well and good saying you can drive through france for this much or that much. But unless you cost it per mile to include fair wear, tear and maintenance costs. Along with the extra miles, usually driven by just one driver. And timescales (we are no all retired or have the time to traverse France (some people may actually wish to avoid France for many reasons)).

Plenty of posts on here that are unbiased that can help.

TM

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
A couple of years ago we decided to extend our stay in Portugal and changed our return leg with one phone call and a smallish extra, maybe £40-, to pay. Simples.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
With a Discount code off me or a Funster, 6.5m Motorhome with a 2 berth cabin is from around £265 each way. Not as you quoted "no bed Ferry is around £350-400 each way".

Its been done to death this Ferry to Spain - Drive through France.

There are upsides and downsides to both options. What I give are the facts. I don't try and hide or exaggerate any costs.

Its all well and good saying you can drive through france for this much or that much. But unless you cost it per mile to include fair wear, tear and maintenance costs. Along with the extra miles, usually driven by just one driver. And timescales (we are no all retired or have the time to traverse France (some people may actually wish to avoid France for many reasons)).

Plenty of posts on here that are unbiased that can help.

TM
Well! I stand corrected. Please show me a ferry crossing to Spain from the UK with a 2 berth from around £265.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Steady people. I have no wish to travel through France in January. In May it would be lovely but not in mid winter. The decision has been made to go by ferry UK-Spain-UK; that means Brittany Ferries. We don't do much planning so a stay of about three months is an estimate, or aspiration if you will. It would appear that booking both legs, using a code from another member, then adjusting the return leg to suit on line would appear to be the best bet. Thanks for your advice. Incidently our vehicle is 7.5m and just under 3m high.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Best to book a return "end-stop" at the beginning, you can generally change it for a small amendment charge. the problem of not booking a return is 1 prices are usually higher closer to the sailing date, 2 It can get fully booked.

I've just booked next summers return trip and couldn't get my preferred cabin type in September 2018, fully booked!!!

Nov 6, 2016
pembrokshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
book early we booked sep for portsmouth santander out fed 20 back may 6 with cabin 7 mtr 3 mtr hight 618

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We always (2 or 3 times a year) book single journeys as it is easy to then change on line usually at no cost providing it is kike for like! :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
you can generally change it for a small amendment charge

Brittany Ferries do not charge an amendment fee provided that you make the change at least 7 days prior to the original crossing date. Within 7 days they charge £25.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i used to travel down through france . but with my mini artic the fuel is alot higher at about 16-17mpg .
i also live not far from plymouth . even the ferry to roscoff and drive down isnt worth it for me . driving almost 350 miles to dover and 350 miles back would be expensive .
i avoid the portsmouth ones as well adds more costs getting there and back.
plus the drive through france adds miles regarding servicing etc . if going to morocco you will cover a few thousand just for fun .
i do miss france used to call in and see friends that live there but 20hrs from plymouth i can be in spain . fresh and only 30 miles on the speedo.
very often return to spain still on spanish fuel left over from the last visit .
but what ever have a good trip enjoy the journey and have fun .
mind sun just come out here and its warm today. in cornwall.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Broken Link Removed
i am paying£285 SINGLE returning home from Bilbao at the end of nov with a cabin,,At that price i can't be arsed to drive up through a cold wet France ,,BUSBY,,, 3355

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Although the prices are generally similar, I believe you'll find crossing from Plymouth is a significantly shorter time at sea than from Portsmouth. And Plymouth is probably quicker and easier to get to from Somerset in any case.

Have a good trip.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
i am paying£285 SINGLE returning home from Bilbao at the end of nov with a cabin,,At that price i can't be arsed to drive up through a cold wet France ,,BUSBY,,, 3355
Glad to see the prices this low. That sounds like a good deal. Is that to Plymouth or portsmouth and does it require a discount code or membership, for this price !

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Although the prices are generally similar, I believe you'll find crossing from Plymouth is a significantly shorter time at sea than from Portsmouth. And Plymouth is probably quicker and easier to get to from Somerset in any case.

Have a good trip.
I just looked at Brittany Ferries one way from Plymouth to Santander 10th January for two adults in the cheapest cabin and it comes in at £539.00 I believe you can get a 30% discount on top of that if your a member of club Voyage. Not cheap for a return journey.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

Have a good trip.

I think Plymouth stops operating during the winter.

Deleted User
I just looked at Brittany Ferries one way from Plymouth to Santander 10th January for two adults in the cheapest cabin and it comes in at £539.00 I believe you can get a 30% discount on top of that if your a member of club Voyage. Not cheap for a return journey.

You must have a big motorhome, I can only get near that price by entering 9m long and 4m high into Portsmouth - Santander and I am sure that some generous funster will give you a code for 10% discount:)

Personally I would still pay that rather than drive an extra 700 miles using non toll roads through France in January:)

Reactions: f6c

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Steady people. I have no wish to travel through France in January. In May it would be lovely but not in mid winter. The decision has been made to go by ferry UK-Spain-UK; that means Brittany Ferries. We don't do much planning so a stay of about three months is an estimate, or aspiration if you will. It would appear that booking both legs, using a code from another member, then adjusting the return leg to suit on line would appear to be the best bet. Thanks for your advice. Incidently our vehicle is 7.5m and just under 3m high.
I've altered BF crossings quite often on line. As already mentioned, it doesn't cost anything but best not to leave it too late. There are certain times of the year when the ferry might be full - for example when all the snowbirds head back after the winter. :) Or you might find all the cheap cabins have gone. But, on the subject of cabins, for not much more than a twin cabin a four berth is much more convenient. The twin berth cabins have bunk beds but the four berth has two beds at ground level, so to speak. No ladder to climb!

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just checked myself including the cabins and without discounts the return cost will be £1119. If we use the tunnel and drive it will be about 900 miles, that's about £200 in fuel plus the cost of stops and wear and tear and about £200 for the tunnel. I guess it is much cheaper to drive but northern France in January is "orrible" and finding stops on the way down can be a problem. However, I may now look at short sea crossing from Poole.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just checked myself including the cabins and without discounts the return cost will be £1119. If we use the tunnel and drive it will be about 900 miles, that's about £200 in fuel plus the cost of stops and wear and tear and about £200 for the tunnel. I guess it is much cheaper to drive but northern France in January is "orrible" and finding stops on the way down can be a problem. However, I may now look at short sea crossing from Poole.
We use Portsmouth Caen and then through France Ferry £175 return including dog. You then have 500 mile drive to Spain boarder. All motorway with tolls from Nantes to Bordeaux

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We use Portsmouth Caen and then through France Ferry £175 return including dog. You then have 500 mile drive to Spain boarder. All motorway with tolls from Nantes to Bordeaux
That sounds very expensive, have you costed it out. Although I do accept its all down to personal preference. I assume you are aware you can do the journey to the Spanish border toll free (well almost just a couple of small tolls at the bottom of the A63) and it's only about 3/4 hour longer drive.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I guess it is much cheaper to drive but northern France in January is "orrible" and finding stops on the way down can be a problem. However, I may now look at short sea crossing from Poole.
Our experience driving down each year (We usually set off late Dec. early Jan) is that it can be a bit hit and miss from Calais for the first 200 miles or so. One year it was not good driving with heavy rain and very windy and we were both happy to get down a couple of hundred miles where things became more tolerable. However, we have mostly found that the weather driving down has not been an issue and last year drove through calm weather and brilliant sunshine from the moment we left the port. We tend to clear France in two days driving and try and do that over a weekend as lorries are banned from roads on a Sunday and good progress can be made on the saturday too. We make our first stop at the free Aire at Chateaudun, overnight, refuel and then drive most of the following day and stop over near the bottom of the A63 Toll road and by this time we have always found it to be a lot warmer and clearer skies. We have never encountered Snow or Ice on our way down due to the proximity of our route to the Atlantic Ocean. Lucky us.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We use Portsmouth Caen and then through France Ferry £175 return including dog. You then have 500 mike drive to Spain boarder. All motorway with tolls from Nantes to Bordeaux
That sounds very expensive, have you costed it out. Although I do accept its all down to personal preference. I assume you are aware you can do the journey to the Spanish border toll free (well almost just a couple of small tolls at the bottom of the A63) and it's only about 3/4 hour longer drive.

Indeed the toll works out 35 Euro. Overall the saving one way to the boarder is around £120

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
certainly bordeaux down can be freezing . specially around new year . was once in biarritz and every thing was frozen . yet in spain just a bit further south it was ok.
we used to drive down through france via roscoff then up again later.
mind spain you see snow up on the peco,s when landing at santander in early november and its still there sometimes a fresh snowfall as we leave end of april.
there can be snow there even in june . almost gone but still there.
it really can be hit or miss.
i,m glad my truck and fifth wheel are classed as a car and caravan on booking the ferry mine is cheaper than my mates m,home . and mine is longer . caravans get a better price. than m,homes .
sometimes like this winter plymouth gets its crossings cut .
i think the pont-aven must be going in for refit or something this year.
i prefer that ship as i dont need a cabin just book a seat . thats only a tenner so saves a bit .
usually pay about 500quid return but yes i,m a club member so get 30%off the ferry cost . not the seat/cabin.
i dont think i could drive through france and along that coast of spain cheaper . plus it would take a long drive . thats down and up.
if northern spain was warmer i would just stay there . northern spain is fantastic , galecia is or could be my second home . its like cornwall but different slightly.

Last edited:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
certainly bordeaux down can be freezing . specially around new year . was once in biarritz and every thing was frozen . yet in spain just a bit further south it was ok.
we used to drive down through france via roscoff then up again later.
mind spain you see snow up on the peco,s when landing at santander in early november and its still there sometimes a fresh snowfall as we leave end of april.
there can be snow there even in june . almost gone but still there.
it really can be hit or miss.
i,m glad my truck and fifth wheel are classed as a car and caravan on booking the ferry mine is cheaper than my mates m,home . and mine is longer . caravans get a better price. than m,homes .
we set off on 4th December so hopefully should be OK re freezing weather

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You must have a big motorhome, I can only get near that price by entering 9m long and 4m high into Portsmouth - Santander and I am sure that some generous funster will give you a code for 10% discount:)

Personally I would still pay that rather than drive an extra 700 miles using non toll roads through France in January:)
That's odd ! I put in 7m long and 3 m high, with a bike carrier ? (I'll repeat that and see if its the same.( I understand and accept people have their own preferences.). Just as an aside, you can make the whole journey toll free (well, under €12.00 for the best option) using all dual carriageway/motorway, less one single carriageway section which is a little over 100K. I stand corrected on the ferry price just done it again and it comes in at £380.00 one way. Must have had a senior moment.....again.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back