British Tourist killed in Morocco (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I always find comments like mine a little bit smug, after the event but I excuse myself this time. If you were to look on the Government travel health website you would quickly find Morocco is a country on the high risk of contracting Rabies, it also suggests when travelling in areas not close to medical facilities that vaccination is necessary.

Living in the UK where most diseases have been eradicated by vaccinations we tend to think we are immune from many diseases including Rabies and therefore take the risk. The risk of contracting these diseases is low but devastating when they do happen. Lots of sympathy for the family.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I always find comments like mine a little bit smug, after the event but I excuse myself this time. If you were to look on the Government travel health website you would quickly find Morocco is a country on the high risk of contracting Rabies, it also suggests when travelling in areas not close to medical facilities that vaccination is necessary.

Living in the UK where most diseases have been eradicated by vaccinations we tend to think we are immune from many diseases including Rabies and therefore take the risk. The risk of contracting these diseases is low but devastating when they do happen. Lots of sympathy for the family.
Awareness is the best protection, we have to be aware that cats dogs and wild animals have to be treated with suspicion. Human to human transfer is also not unheard of..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Theres also the question of one death out of how many visitors how high is the risk compared to the risk of driving tot he airport?

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I have a good way of avoiding contact,I HATE Cats, Dogs, most animals apart from on plate medium rare, and carry a water pistol to keep them off

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Cracking "DAILY MAIL STYLE" Headline
From "TOURIST KILLED" to DIED FROM COMMON DISEASE in less than 1 sentence:LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Theres also the question of one death out of how many visitors how high is the risk compared to the risk of driving tot he airport?
significant number of livestock, especially cattle, die from rabies every year in Morocco as well as a number of humans. A small scratch from an infected animal would be enough to transfer the virus.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
significant number of livestock, especially cattle, die from rabies every year in Morocco as well as a number of humans. A small scratch from an infected animal would be enough to transfer the virus.
Yes but a lot of other countries are much higher risk especially India

I suspect in both countries you are much more likely to die in a road accident or from food poisoning!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As I was still thinking about this thread I looked up the riskiest countries to visit (in terms of risk of death) Pakistan is well up the list next is the States of course the risk would be different in terms of the number of visitors but the fact the Sun is making a big deal of it suggests its a rare event.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes but a lot of other countries are much higher risk especially India

I suspect in both countries you are much more likely to die in a road accident or from food poisoning!!!
This thread was posted in the motorhome section, not many motorhomes travel to India but some do travel to Morocco living in open spaces with local wildlife where cross infection could be a problem wino..

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It’s how I lost my sister.
Sorry for your loss :crying1:...

...but from the same article;
"...between 2000 and 2017 five UK residents became infected with rabies after "animal exposures abroad".

Five, in 17 years - hardly an epidemic worthy of splash headline... doesn't seem to be a major risk/health hazard (y)...
...and five infected, doesn't mean five fatalities.

A more responsible headline might have been along the lines "first Briton to die of rabies in 17 years"

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Sorry for your loss :crying1:...

...but from the same article;
"...between 2000 and 2017 five UK residents became infected with rabies after "animal exposures abroad".

Five, in 17 years - hardly an epidemic worthy of splash headline... doesn't seem to be a major risk/health hazard (y)...
...and five infected, doesn't mean five fatalities.

A more responsible headline might have been along the lines "first Briton to die of rabies in 17 years"

This was early 80’s.
Bitten by a dog in India while on holiday. Attended local hospital, stitched wound and told to go to hospital on return to uk three days later, which she did.
Wound was cleaned by a senior nurse that had spent many years in India herself, and advised to come back a week later for stitches to come out.
Blood tested for bacteria, not virus.
Her fate as they say was sealed.
Big press coverage at the time

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I Had the sense to have the Jab
But not the sense to leave the cats alone,:rolleyes: were our own worst enemies
KILLED is your word not the Sun's, your Avatar is rubbing off on you :LOL:
Too serious man, just saying
He can have a less serious Christmas one

20171225-donald-trump-christmas-lights-at-the-white-house-animated.gif

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bit of a no news item really.

A BRIT has died after contracting rabies while on holiday in Morocco, it emerged today.

The visitor contracted the disease after being bitten by a rabid cat.

Thats it........ The rest of the article is just telling us about rabies.

It may as well have said..A BRIT has died of heat stroke while on holiday in Morocco.
The visitor contracted the illness after being
out in the sun

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Bit of a no news item really.

Thats it........ The rest of the article is just telling us about rabies.

It may as well have said..A BRIT has died of heat stroke while on holiday in Morocco.
The visitor contracted the illness after being
out in the sun
Thats two dead in the same week:Eeek:

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
No one has ever survived clinical rabies.
I’ve seen clinical rabies - it is very not pretty.
Worth vaccination and rush to good hospital is bitten.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Cracking "DAILY MAIL STYLE" Headline
From "TOURIST KILLED" to DIED FROM COMMON DISEASE in less than 1 sentence:LOL:
Funny I thought that too lol

Tourist died in morroco would have been better.

I don't think the cat had murder on its mind lol

Accidental death due to misadventure

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This thread was posted in the motorhome section, not many motorhomes travel to India but some do travel to Morocco living in open spaces with local wildlife where cross infection could be a problem wino..
@DavidG58 will be along soon to tell you it's in the wrong section as it isn't really motor home related :p

Unless the tourist was in one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back