British better than Continent vans (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And it's that that I don't get with British vans....we live outside most of the time chasing the sun!. May withdraw inside if it turns cool. The priority for us in a van is the bed as it's the main thing you do is sleep. Getting bedding out and converting a sofa every night? Errr no thanks!lol
When we had a caravan we liked the two big sofas either side for lounging on or entertaining friends, this space had to "multi task" into a bed to get the whole package down to a sensible length, now we have a motorhome we love the fixed bed as we can have bed space and lounge space simultaneously but the bed space again "multi tasks" as a garage underneath, we would not want to go back to making up a bed every night but it worked at the time when we were going away for long weekends or two weeks max, now we are away for two months or more at a time it would get very tedious.

Martin

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I had a look around a fellow campers brand new Autotrail Frontier Comanche yesterday. Cracking interior layout and a fine looking van with what looked like a very comfortable and welcoming bed. But at 8.73m long it was huge and the owner said it took 4 folk watching him to get safely on the pitch here at Racó in Benidorm...and these are very generously sized pitches.
Hearing that scares the life out of me!

Need to get out and try some of the 'alternative' bed possibilities, a more comfortable drop down on newer vans I'm hoping that I find .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The Autotrail Sieve?

To be fair there are more issues on this forum with leaking hymers than with any of the older British built motorhomes ,unfortunately when swift took over in the 2006 things went askew then from 2013 seems to have got their act together ,,and of course once again like all things you only get what you paid for. Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Whatever you buy you end up with a Bloody Fiat, Peugeot or other Seval van and they are all the same whatever make you buy. It does not matter what body goes on it there all similar. Even the Dear ones are the same base. unless you get a Merc and pay through the nose for the name. The box on the back is only what you choose to get the pretty upholstery and curtains, They all seem to leak somewhere at sometime, all the shaking and movement driving down the road makes for the flexible joints shaking loose or the widows breaking the seal. Just choose the layout you actually like and hope it hasn't been made so heavy that you cannot drive it legally.

The most sensible response to date. ..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
To be fair there are more issues on this forum with leaking hymers than with any of the older British built motorhomes ,unfortunately when swift took over in the 2006 things went askew then from 2013 seems to have got their act together ,,and of course once again like all things you only get what you paid for. Roy
Haven't seen one thread on leaking hymer on here....In Spain last year 4 autotrail owners near me had many repeat tales of terrible build quality...One was on his 4th van! lol talk about a glutton for punishment!;)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Haven't seen one thread on leaking hymer on here....In Spain last year 4 autotrail owners near me had many repeat tales of terrible build quality...One was on his 4th van! lol talk about a glutton for punishment!;)

Whatever.!!

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
i looked at some new autotrails yesturday at johns cross whilst getting some bits for my burstner and thought the build quality was awfull they had catches already falling off in draws where the screws were too short one van even had a cupboard door that scrapped the side wall of the loo where it was not hung right,small things i know but when spending 60k on a van attention to little things mean a lot.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Just done a forum search for leaking Hymer. Only Hymer leaking tap coming up. Did you dream that one up? Do you work for Autotrail?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Come on peeps, the poster asked for suggestions for a van with island bed and decent lounge area, and asked that this doesn't turn out to be a slagging match British vs Continental.

There must be some sensible suggestion for vans to look at British or Continental.

Martin

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Sorry ,you are right ,lets give the op a fair idea of what's about in his /her their price range . Because that's where we need to start ,how much dosh available..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I think you might be mixing up Autotrail and Autocruise as Swift have not taken over Autotrail yet.

Martin

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If we could have any sensible sized van it would be one of the Rapidos with an island bed. But we don't need one as our Chausson does everything we need and we love it. Build quality is great and the lack of island bed is made up by the sheer size of our transverse bed over the mahoossive garage.
Only issue is the table can be a bit too big sometimes.
We've looked at all brands at shows and the only ones that do it for us are Rapido and Carthago. We certainly prefer continental vans above British ones.
But that's just us.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think you might be mixing up Autotrail and Autocruise as Swift have not taken over Autotrail yet.

Martin

Ahh ! Thought they had ,my 10yr old autocruise is in my opinion far better quality than the ones after swift took them over..however swift made some nice caravans but had little idea of how to build a good motorhome body ..

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
If we could have any sensible sized van it would be one of the Rapidos with an island bed. But we don't need one as our Chausson does everything we need and we love it. Build quality is great and the lack of island bed is made up by the sheer size of our transverse bed over the mahoossive garage.
Only issue is the table can be a bit too big sometimes.
We've looked at all brands at shows and the only ones that do it for us are Rapido and Carthago. We certainly prefer continental vans above British ones.
But that's just us.

I too if I could afford it go for the rapido its got a great layout . But for now its my lovely little stargazer.

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Without high jacking the thread was my 1999 Bessacarr E600 made by Swift or someone else?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When we had a caravan we liked the two big sofas either side for lounging on or entertaining friends, this space had to "multi task" into a bed to get the whole package down to a sensible length, now we have a motorhome we love the fixed bed as we can have bed space and lounge space simultaneously but the bed space again "multi tasks" as a garage underneath, we would not want to go back to making up a bed every night but it worked at the time when we were going away for long weekends or two weeks max, now we are away for two months or more at a time it would get very tedious.

Martin

And that's the rub Martin...UK vans based on caravans...What a yawn:D

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
And that's the rub Martin...UK vans based on caravans...What a yawn:D
Haha couldn't agree more . and German ones based on tanks ...but lets leave that alone and see what the poster is really looking for and a what cost.then maybe we can give him some good idea of what's available .

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
A quick look through Autotrader shows how few vans have both island beds and bench seats.
I can see a few with half dinette but that's not what OP is looking for... majority are certainly British.
Personally, I'd ditch the island bed, plenty more options then, either drop-down or rear double over garage (y)

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i looked at some new autotrails yesturday at johns cross whilst getting some bits for my burstner and thought the build quality was awfull they had catches already falling off in draws where the screws were too short one van even had a cupboard door that scrapped the side wall of the loo where it was not hung right,small things i know but when spending 60k on a van attention to little things mean a lot.

Our Burstner ( a 2008 Aviano) had rubbishy catches on the fridge and drawers.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Build Quality, Island bed, Garage that has access from side to side, Alka chassis, 16" road wheels, Well thought out kitchen, comfortable dinette area, Semi auto, LPG and mains electric's outside connections, Latest size Hab door, and more ........... well we saw such a MH yesterday.... Dethleffs Esprit.... :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

And that before you weigh it!lol:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Without high jacking the thread was my 1999 Bessacarr E600 made by Swift or someone else?
Yes, Bessacarr are the 'premium' Swift offering, made in the same factory but usually with a higher spec.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes, Bessacarr are the 'premium' Swift offering, made in the same factory but usually with a higher spec.

My autocruise was not made by swift .swift only took over autocruise around 2006 ,and unfortunately the quality took a nosedive ..too many corners were cut to save pennies ,tbh I wouldn't buy a swift motorhome now until I had a full survey and at least a five year warranty on the body.. Having said that there are some bargains to be had with buying British..you cannot compare like for like when you can buy a new British built moho for circa £40k and a German or French one costing upwards of £80k ..so you pays your money and you get what you pay for .. Roy

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Haha couldn't agree more . and German ones based on tanks ...but lets leave that alone and see what the poster is really looking for and a what cost.then maybe we can give him some good idea of what's available .

Haha...how much to spend on that new van now that's indeed the question!
Problem is, our trusty first van Hymer cost all of 21k and has given us stirling service. Now I would have that gorgeous Hymer Duomobil that Martin @funflair posted earlier in the thread (life's too short, you only live once, can't take it with you etc) but, the sensible one would say...103k (or there a bouts) could buy a villa with a swimming pool in Spain, and it can we've seen some!

Having a great van that's done us proud (no water leaks, last service comment was at 13 year old it has better readings on damp Meter than 2 year old vans), I think I can push it to about £50k for the right van.

Ginny has no idea I've just pitched that figure ;).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back