British better than Continent vans (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
No I don't want to start a slagging match between which is best!

As our time in the van gets ever longer and we look at overwintering in Spain again later this year, we feel it's time for a little more comfort and space.

Don't get me wrong, we love our old Hymer b544 and as our first and only van it has served us admirably the past 5 years. Our problem is mostly needing a more suitable bed! Again don't get me wrong the drop down bed concept is brilliant, takes no space up during the daytime, is available in moments and is surprisingly comfortable. Unless maybe for some with medical issues, particularly mobility when climbing in and out and over!

So we're looking for an Island bed in a bigger van. Problem is that we don't want to loose too much daytime space.

It seems that, and I may be wrong, only the British market offers the kind of layout we prefer with two long comfortable side seats, centre kitchen, rear bedroom. This kind of layout with the continental vans we've been viewing does not seem to exist until you get 9 metres or thereabouts. Basically those few with island beds seem to have a dinette and front facing habitation seats, all seeming a bit squashed up in the front.

The price comes into it also as from what I'm seeing British vans seem to offer better value for money and higher spec?

Like I said, not a slagging match, just after some opinions please.

Cheers

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We too were looking for a fixed bed but soon realised that the ones we were looking at were getting longer and heavier. We bought an Autocruise Wentworth with two six foot six side benches that we lounge on during the day, fold up table for eating and two single beds at night so I don't disturb the boss on my toilet trips during the night. We use sleeping bags that take a minute to get out of the over cab locker at night and the same in the morning. Massive kitchen area and all @ 7 mtrs. Works for us. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first van was British and our current one German. There are build quality differences but they are explained more by the original budget/target market than workmanship.

On neither occasion when we were looking did we have country of origin in mind (we even considered a Rapido :Eeek::laughing:).

If we were in the market again I would do what we did last time, draw up a Link Removed of what we wanted and see what was the best fit within the budget, never mind the country of origin.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Dave and Ginny

Of course the best van is the one that suits you so it doesn't come down to British or Continental but to your specific needs.

Before you leave the Hymer/Continental camp for good have you looked at the Hymer duo. Broken Link Removed

It has quite a nice rear lounge for relaxing and the bed is quite accessible with decent heavy duty steps not a flimsy ladder.

You are right when you say that the British vans are more cosy for lounging in, and they are better value/cheaper but this is where the "you get what you pay for" argument could start with the British vs Continental. To be honest I would try to find something Continental but will say again the "best" van is the one that works for you.

Good luck.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oops, duplicate deleted.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Our Autotrail Tracker EKS has the two long side benches and it take us only 3 or 4 minutes to pull them both to the centre and make up our 6ft 2inch long by 5ft 6inches wide bed with a bottom sheet and a duvet (to suit the temperature). Lovely.
The van is only 6.39mtrs long and a dream to drive. Just another option for you to consider.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had the same issues, want lounge space, 3.5 ton limit, would like fixed bed.
In the end we traded our old B544 for a new B544. The bed drops much lower so much easier for access and a really nice fit out, chuffed (y)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We have had the same issues, want lounge space, 3.5 ton limit, would like fixed bed.
In the end we traded our old B544 for a new B544. The bed drops much lower so much easier for access and a really nice fit out, chuffed (y)

I need to go and have a look around a newer 544 and have a try of the bed. We do love the Hymer and particularly the layout.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi Dave and Ginny

Of course the best van is the one that suits you so it doesn't come down to British or Continental but to your specific needs.

Before you leave the Hymer/Continental camp for good have you looked at the Hymer duo. Broken Link Removed

It has quite a nice rear lounge for relaxing and the bed is quite accessible with decent heavy duty steps not a flimsy ladder.

You are right when you say that the British vans are more cosy for lounging in, and they are better value/cheaper but this is where the "you get what you pay for" argument could start with the British vs Continental. To be honest I would try to find something Continental but will say again the "best" van is the one that works for you.

Good luck.

Martin

Thanks Martin, looks a lovely van albeit a bit out of our price range. Do like that rear lounge layout , first saw it on Frankia at Newark last year. Again, need to try the beds. Any idea what a LHD from the continent is coming in at?

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We have never owned a British van but would say that if you want comfort and a better interior then the British is best. People say the Continental vans are better made but the old British vans you see around put down that argument. Best of luck

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Will just love this thread as I believe it will go viral like mine did on a similar theme. Will have this on the big screen so i don't miss the juicy bits. Roy.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We liked the twin sofa layouts of some british vans but there are no external lockers on many , perhaps one that accesses under the bed.
Also all are coachbuilt and we prefer an a class .
As far as quality build I think our Hymer takes some beating with double floor and underfloor lockers including access to fresh and grey tanks for cleaning.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Happy with my AT Scout.

Much happier than with my Burstner Aviano A class.

Can't talk about build quality cos it's over my head to be honest(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin, looks a lovely van albeit a bit out of our price range. Do like that rear lounge layout , first saw it on Frankia at Newark last year. Again, need to try the beds. Any idea what a LHD from the continent is coming in at?
Hi, sorry I don't know the answer to that, I believe they have only been out for not much more than a year, I could google them on mobile.de or whatever but I'm sure you are quite capable of doing that yourself.

Martin

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we bought Buffy it was due to layout and the number of travel seats. We are swapping only because we have another grandchild to kidnap and Buffy just isn't quite big enough. If the kids were older (teens) an awning with integrated tent would have been ideal but they are still very young so need to be inside with us.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Same when I bought khizzie right layout, right price ,and has proved right choice ..grandchildren all grown up so they didn't feature in my choice of vehicle ..had her for many years and have not had any problems to date ...Roy

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Our old mohican suits us fine, we attended the stafford show last year and were not impressed by hymers even the ones you have to ask to get in. we must be lucky as our mohican doesnt leak drives perfect does 28 mpg and the layout is perfect for 2 adults and 2 dogs.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Had 4 motor homes!
1. Euramobil Contura good build quality but poor upholstery bed over small garage small dinette but no swivel cab seats kept for 65 months 49000 miles.

2 Burstner Solano good build quality. Large island bed, was fine when working but when was used for leisure with only small dinette. It felt very cramped. The bed was the best we have ever slept in. Kept for 60 months 27000 miles.

3 Bessacarr E745 best quality upholstery of all our vans, good interior build quality.
Lovely rear bathroom and used long bench seats to sleep on and Luton bed for storage for fishing gear and chairs as side lockers not great.
Lost faith in van after dealer had to pay swift to replace rotten floor. The quality of the repair and finish was poor, so was sold after 18 months.

4 Burstner Delfin t810 good build quality but poor upholstery, Was a bit worried about height of bed over good sized garage and wife climbing up and down but as they have good steps no problem. Plenty of lounging room. Had this van 14 months. And find ideal.
This one will hopefully keep till we stop motor homing. Providing I pass medical ok when reach 70 in 18 months time.
Personally I do prefer German but every van has had water leak either around window, roof light, roof seal or roof to wall seal.
So what's BEST I dunno(n)(n)
As for buying van to suit grand children for us that is a no no i have 3 grand kids and 3 step grand kids. If son did not want to look after them all time he should have kept it in his trousers. Cos I ain't :LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whatever you buy you end up with a Bloody Fiat, Peugeot or other Seval van and they are all the same whatever make you buy. It does not matter what body goes on it there all similar. Even the Dear ones are the same base. unless you get a Merc and pay through the nose for the name. The box on the back is only what you choose to get the pretty upholstery and curtains, They all seem to leak somewhere at sometime, all the shaking and movement driving down the road makes for the flexible joints shaking loose or the widows breaking the seal. Just choose the layout you actually like and hope it hasn't been made so heavy that you cannot drive it legally.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We noted a very very long time ago - and this applies to caravans too - that British vans do have better upholstery etc in general. This is because we the British, spend less time outdoors - hence such other things like full ovens and larger kitchen areas etc - whereas sur le contining, they tend live and cook more outdoors, hence their vans are designed more as a sleeping/washing place with a bit added whereas British ones will be designed more as 'living' areas - with the opportunity to do some of it outdoors, added.

It is actually noticeable.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We noted a very very long time ago - and this applies to caravans too - that British vans do have better upholstery etc in general. This is because we the British, spend less time outdoors - hence such other things like full ovens and larger kitchen areas etc - whereas sur le contining, they tend live and cook more outdoors, hence their vans are designed more as a sleeping/washing place with a bit added whereas British ones will be designed more as 'living' areas - with the opportunity to do some of it outdoors, added.

It is actually noticeable.
And it's that that I don't get with British vans....we live outside most of the time chasing the sun!. May withdraw inside if it turns cool. The priority for us in a van is the bed as it's the main thing you do is sleep. Getting bedding out and converting a sofa every night? Errr no thanks!lol

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Whatever you buy you end up with a Bloody Fiat, Peugeot or other Seval van and they are all the same whatever make you buy. It does not matter what body goes on it there all similar. Even the Dear ones are the same base. unless you get a Merc and pay through the nose for the name. The box on the back is only what you choose to get the pretty upholstery and curtains, They all seem to leak somewhere at sometime, all the shaking and movement driving down the road makes for the flexible joints shaking loose or the widows breaking the seal. Just choose the layout you actually like and hope it hasn't been made so heavy that you cannot drive it legally.
Having a bad day or just a bit disillusioned with motorhomes!

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back