Bringing items to the UK from the EU - VAT, Customs and Excise duties (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In the opinion of the panel, will it still be the case that open and half empty bottles are pretty much ignored proving there are not too many of them ?
Yeah that is pretty much what I was suggesting in my last post on tobacco.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Am I understanding correctly - each person can bring in 18l of wine with no duty to pay? Is that wine we buy in caves or supermarket in France or is it limited to duty free shops?

I’d be quite happy with that - we like to bring back a couple of cases of good wine when we go on holiday ...
As someone said in reply to me. "Always used to be the case."
Having said that no one has yet confirmed that buying away from Duty Free outlets so therefore paying local duty is "off the ration" as it were

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So if this 18 Lt thing is right I don't see much of a problem for the vast majority of holiday makers, have we got an official link to this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The tobacconists in Beni are sellling rolling baci in 250g (5x50), or if you buy 500g (2x250) you sometimes get a small bottle of vodka chucked in.
Cheers
Ed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for that, end of story then for us (y) :Smile: 48 bottles a time will do us.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you each have one already open in your pocket, does that count?
If you 'have' to buy rolling tobacco in 'blocks' that will take you over your limit just buy it at the beginning of your holiday and smoke it whilst away and get the amount down to that allowed, failing that give it away ... yes I know that would really hurt! 😁

In the opinion of the panel, will it still be the case that open and half empty bottles are pretty much ignored proving there are not too many of them ?
You just want an excuse to open several bottles and take a swig don't you! :giggle:

For tobacco and alcohol I think it any open packs will be included as the 'limit' is the maximum you can bring in, if you want to try it do so by all means but you could then end up having to pay VAT etc on the whole lot - this is certainly what happens on all the Border Control type TV programmes.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So if this 18 Lt thing is right I don't see much of a problem for the vast majority of holiday makers, have we got an official link to this?
It was in my first post! :doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
If you each have one already open in your pocket, does that count?
Yes.
And No!
Clear as mud I know, but if I was a betting man I would say no.
BUT , when we had the previous duty free allowances, all goods returning to the UK had to be unopened ie 200 cigs in a full sleeve, etc so the 2 packs in your pocket are open to interpretation🤔
Again , a but : if only one of you smokes, put one packet in each other’s pocket, otherwise why would you have 2 pouches open on you at the same time?
It is, and could still be open for interpretation on personal use, but it will stop the wholesale abuse of smuggled tobacco and cigarettes and thus help the uk tobacco sellers.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It is, and could still be open for interpretation on personal use, but it will stop the wholesale abuse of smuggled tobacco and cigarettes and thus help the uk tobacco sellers.
That's the point, regardless of what tax is paid on the tobacco or alcohol, it has to be remembered that every pack bought abroad is one less sold in the UK and at the moment UK retailers need as much business as they can get. Bring back your allowance by all means but if you decided to 'risk' it don't look for any sympathy if you get caught.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
As someone said in reply to me. "Always used to be the case."
Having said that no one has yet confirmed that buying away from Duty Free outlets so therefore paying local duty is "off the ration" as it were
Its what ever you are bringing back, it does not matter where you buy them.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
That's the point, regardless of what tax is paid on the tobacco or alcohol, it has to be remembered that every pack bought abroad is one less sold in the UK and at the moment UK retailers need as much business as they can get. Bring back your allowance by all means but if you decided to 'risk' it don't look for any sympathy if you get caught.
Absolutely . Very well said.👍

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think anyone was looking for sympathy, just trying to find out what you can legally bring back, and as we have now found out it looks like plenty (y) :Smile:

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
The tobacconists in Beni are sellling rolling baci in 250g (5x50), or if you buy 500g (2x250) you sometimes get a small bottle of vodka chucked in.
Cheers
Ed
And that is absolutely fine.......... if 2 of you are travelling and you want the vodka.
But to take 2 x 5 x 50g for 1 person is possibly asking for a lot of heartache, under the current specifications.
HMRC have been advising UK tobacco trade for some time of their intentions to start getting tougher.
More tobacco sold in the UK is more revenue in the chancellors coffers , and right now, with furlough and COVID, he needs all the tax reclamation he can get his hands on.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Yes.
And No!
Clear as mud I know, but if I was a betting man I would say no.
BUT , when we had the previous duty free allowances, all goods returning to the UK had to be unopened ie 200 cigs in a full sleeve, etc so the 2 packs in your pocket are open to interpretation🤔
Again , a but : if only one of you smokes, put one packet in each other’s pocket, otherwise why would you have 2 pouches open on you at the same time?
To much aggro glad I gave up smoking 😃

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
The difference in the cost of your malt is mainly as a result of the differing Excise Duty rates between UK (c£2,900 \ hlpa) and EU (c€1,000 \ hlpa).
As an aside, did you know France is the second largest market in the world for Scotch (maybe as a result of you reimporting so much of it!:whistle2::wink:)
I really am doing my best to support this important Scottish industry, maybe I can apply for a subsidy?

but I am not "reimporting it" I consume it all here like a good little Franglais supporting French retailers at the same time.

I offer multi-national support (viva les Jocks) ;)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The duty free amounts allowed seem generous to me, if not. save a few days from your day allowance and do a booze cruise to top up.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The duty free amounts allowed seem generous to me, if not save a few days from your day allowance and do a booze cruise to top up.
We do one or two small booze cruise,s type things most years, not this time :( but as we like gravelines so much we do a week or so based there and up and down the coast and inland in northern France, thanks in part to Tesco tokens, so with not going this year we shall have enough for extra crossings when we get going again so smaller amounts of wine won't make any difference.(y):Smile:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Never mind bringing wine back to the UK. The important question is how much Brown Ale and Strongbow cider can we take TO the EU ? Can't be doing with the rubbish lager in France !

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I remember buying items in Czech Republic pre-2004 and getting a local tax-receipt then reclaiming the tax at the airport which involved several queues to ensure the correct paperwork was presented to the appropriate kiosk. Perhaps similar opportunities will arise again?
More tobacco sold in the UK is more revenue in the chancellors coffers , and right now, with furlough and COVID, he needs all the tax reclamation he can get his hands on.

I also remember one of the keen "Brexit brigade" asking for help a couple of years ago to find a cheap tobacconist in Belgium: hopefully support for HMRC will now be more forthcoming and people will put their money where their mouths (votes) were. :devil:

Gordon

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Apart from bringing the odd pack of fags through for someone I was never one for duty free, all that faffing about queuing to buy it, lugging bottles in carrier bags on planes or on the boat, whenever I did look at it the savings were never that great. So now it's back. I bet the savings are still hardly worth the hassle.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Don’t forget, France now restricts tobacco import to 200 cigarettes so if your buying in Belgium or Luxembourg you are limited when you cross the border into France.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Apart from bringing the odd pack of fags through for someone I was never one for duty free, all that faffing about queuing to buy it, lugging bottles in carrier bags on planes or on the boat, whenever I did look at it the savings were never that great. So now it's back. I bet the savings are still hardly worth the hassle.
Never bought anything out of the actual duty free , cheaper in cite Europe.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don’t forget, France now restricts tobacco import to 200 cigarettes so if your buying in Belgium or Luxembourg you are limited when you cross the border into France.
That's one of never thought about, but the tobacco trade in UK is finished now east European lorry drivers are way undercutting that now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back