Bringing items to the UK from the EU - VAT, Customs and Excise duties (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having just spent over 300 euros for a van full of excellent quality wine,I can absolutely assure you that it isn't.
Shhhhh ... don't say that ... you'll end up encouraging funsters to break the rules and come round to your place! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You can save a bundle on cheap plonk as the tax & duty make up a huge proportion of the bottle price...
As you go up the price scale, then tax/duty becomes a smaller proportion so the opportunity for savings are minimal.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
if you cant post without making trolling comments, you’ll find one day that you can’t post at all, please dont be surprised when it happens

I was having a bad morning, but I just got this and it cheered me up :D

Asking me to grow a spine, when they haven't got the courage to put a name to their bile. Priceless :LOL:

1610020549987.png

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Another keyboard warrior bites the dust. I am glad we have been saved from their input. I wonder how long Yahoo will allow them to keep that email address.

That will be a fake address because he didn't have the courage to use a real one :D

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
For me, the worse thing is the lack of correct grammar and spelling.

Its shocking when people use their phones to type comments and still have the mentality not spell words fully or correctly, like we used 2 do wen we was chargd 4 each leta we typt.

Times have moved on and there's no need for abbreviations.

Apart from that, the sender clearly has too much spare time on their hands.....innit

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Its shocking when people use their phones to type comments and still have the mentality not spell words fully or correctly, like we used 2 do wen we was chargd 4 each leta we typt.

Apart from that, the sender clearly has too much spare time on their hands.....innit
Careful now, grammar and spelling comments breach Rule 1 too ........ ;) ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Perhaps you need to re-read your 2nd sentence ... there be a word missing! :LOL:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ah bless, someone needs some anger management.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was having a bad morning, but I just got this and it cheered me up :D

Asking me to grow a spine, when they haven't got the courage to put a name to their bile. Priceless :LOL:

View attachment 454184
1610031908172.png

In my experience the "gobbiest" customers on the phone have the fattest wives, they must be as they hide behind them when we meet face 2 face

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Having just spent over 300 euros for a van full of excellent quality wine,I can absolutely assure you that it isn't.

I was referring to duty free and in particular perfume, after shave etc

I presume you declared the wine 😉😊

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Is that allowances per person, so if a couple travel in Motorhome you would get double the limit ?
I hope so, though I’ve not seen any really definitive answer to this, anyone care to comment, facts only please not assumptions, I have read the gov. website in Minxys post but whilst it states the allowances it does not state that they are PER PERSON over 18yrs of course, also I did not see anything relating to the payment of vat. that Minxy mentioned or other duties on anything that is within the allowances stated.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I hope so, though I’ve not seen any really definitive answer to this, anyone care to comment, facts only please not assumptions, I have read the gov. website in Minxys post but whilst it states the allowances it does not state that they are PER PERSON over 18yrs of course, also I did not see anything relating to the payment of vat. that Minxy mentioned or other duties on anything that is within the allowances stated.
The answers are all in the first section of that link, in the bit called "Arriving in GB". It is a "personal allowance" so that means per person. Tax etc is only paid on anything brought in above your allowance. Nothing to pay on anything within the allowance.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The answers are all in the first section of that link, in the bit called "Arriving in GB". It is a "personal allowance" so that means per person. Tax etc is only paid on anything brought in above your allowance. Nothing to pay on anything within the allowance.
Just as it is when flyback from overseas

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its all in the link as has been mentioned, it's easy to 'scan' read and miss bits though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back