LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
There have been many threads on this topic before. I think the general consensus is that motorhomes are designed to be outside so therefore dont need protection.
Covering them up can cause rubbing of the paint work and, breathable or not, covers will prevent ventilation to the inside of the van leading to condensation and possibly dreaded damp.
I have never covered our van when in storage.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I am using a Maypole cover too - no problems ( nearly three years old ) - make sure motorhome is reasonably clean before putting on and ensure straps are sensibly tight - it takes a bit of gymnastics to get on due to weight and volume - slides off easily :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
We used a semi-taylored cover on a previous motorhome which didn't cause any damage or any condensation issues. Semi taylored seemed to mean the rear was a perfect fit, but the front as ours was a B class - had an excess of material though could be strapped up. Possibly why we had no damage as nothing flapping!! The excess material had to be tuck in and often pooled water but caused no issue to the Fiat bonnet!
Main reason we used it was a very large oak tree though opposite our house, it managed to emit sticky sap droplets which would cover the vehicle. These would then make dust stick and need warm water to remove, even the windowscreen would smear as the blades wouldn't shift the stuff. If I left the cover off, even after a couple of weeks this sap and the following leaves would get into the gap behined the bonnet and wipers and block the drains. This then would go green and mouldy!

Just about to pick up a new A class and thinking about a cover knowing the pros and cons but that bloomin' tree!!!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
keeping covers on any vehicle is difficult its amazing how much damage a loose sheet can do to paintwork

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Having used a cover on my Classic Audi Quattro its not something I would use again on any vehicle.
Even a tight cover moves around and affects the paintwork :(

Upvote 0

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
IMG_5749.JPG
Having used a cover on my Classic Audi Quattro its not something I would use again on any vehicle.
Even a tight cover moves around and affects the paintwork :(
Talking of Quattro's how about these we've paid homage to this week!!

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Every Spring I get at least 15 enquiries about rectifying damage caused by covers. One this year was on a six month old Bailey, the owner was absolutely gutted that so much damage he had inflicted by fitting a cover and after I had corrected the damage was furious when I told him not to use the cover again as dirt was ingrained into the cover so would only damage it again. I think @Vanderek is understating the need to ensure the van is clean before fitting, in my opinion if fitting a cover make sure the van is immaculately clean and dry then straight away fit the cover as any dust or dirt will damage your van.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
Every Spring I get at least 15 enquiries about rectifying damage caused by covers. One this year was on a six month old Bailey, the owner was absolutely gutted that so much damage he had inflicted by fitting a cover and after I had corrected the damage was furious when I told him not to use the cover again as dirt was ingrained into the cover so would only damage it again. I think @Vanderek is understating the need to ensure the van is clean before fitting, in my opinion if fitting a cover make sure the van is immaculately clean and dry then straight away fit the cover as any dust or dirt will damage your van.

Is this due to people fitting covers on ''slightly'' dirts vehicles rather than ''just washed'' or doesn't it matter in your opinion?
Pressume the damage in the Bailey you mentioned was due to the van not being cleaned first???
On a large A class, pretty sure the dragging over of the cover (quite a lot of weight) would friction burn the body work especially on the edges and cause scratches.
Thanks

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Is this due to people fitting covers on ''slightly'' dirts vehicles rather than ''just washed'' or doesn't it matter in your opinion?
Pressume the damage in the Bailey you mentioned was due to the van not being cleaned first???
On a large A class, pretty sure the dragging over of the cover (quite a lot of weight) would friction burn the body work especially on the edges and cause scratches.
Thanks
Mostly due to fitting to a van that the owner thinks is clean but is not perfectly clean, I can see your point on dragging over the van. Other damage is caused by the cover moving in the wind and rubbing through the gel coat. Please keep in mind that just because the cover is sold as breathable you won't get air circulation in the van which can cause mold problems.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back