Book up and get away while you CAN!!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
There are 38 exempt categories of travellers. Including diplomats. Yesterday on BBC R4 the outgoing Israeli Ambassador to the UK, Mark Regev was interviewed. He said he had to go into 14 day quarantine on his arrival back in Israel. The Police came round to his apartment to check he was where he should be. How likely are such checks under the wishy-washy English version of quarantine? Random, or none at all?
How often do they check? Even if the police did check up here if the person being quarantined wanted to go out they would just wait until the police had been then go out immediately after. Unless of course they stood a police officer outside every quarantined persons room 24hours a day for two weeks. Maybe we could advertise for members of the public to do this quarantine guarding. Thereā€™s probably quite a few on here would love to do it.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Donā€™t think you can come to Scotland ā€œTheyā€ are waiting at the border. Apparently taking registrations of Caravanners and MH for the follow up visit. :eek::LOL:
9F3FBE39-9575-4F82-80C1-44777B4E7369.png

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I take a slightly different view - just a view but we cannot hide inside anymore as a nation.... although anyone is free to continue to avoid shopping and stay inside if they wish (and have the independent funds to so so) of course. The actions of a few idiots are just that - a few idiots - and they've been around from the start

There have been some flare-ups in infection rates, but improving treatments and better understanding mean this doesn't translate to increased death rates - we need focus on that rather than screaming headlines in the media about infection rates. Hopefully rates do go up a bit as it shows we're getting on top of testing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
None of them are so what's the point?
Exactly. I just wondered why you singled out drivers and postmen.
The ones advocating lockdown need to know that if we do it (as some call it properly) there are no exemptions. No doctors, no nurses, no police, no ambulance crews, no fire crews, none of the other services.
The people advocating proper lockdown donā€™t seem to realise this

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
With Sue on the vulnerable list we have still not made any firm plans to venture out in the MH. We would prefer to have a site with facilities that are open because (to the disgust of many on the forum) weā€™d prefer not to use our MH toilet and shower..

Iā€™m actually in two minds whether to sell up before we really even got going but we have decided to wait to see some reviews from people who are starting to venture out.

Our first trip post my retirement was going to be a tour of Scotland but that looks to be out so maybe weā€™ll head for somewhere down south when the moment seems right.. we Love Northumberland but had planned to incorporate that at the end of our Scotland trip..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
With Sue on the vulnerable list we have still not made any firm plans to venture out in the MH. We would prefer to have a site with facilities that are open because (to the disgust of many on the forum) weā€™d prefer not to use our MH toilet and shower..

Iā€™m actually in two minds whether to sell up before we really even got going but we have decided to wait to see some reviews from people who are starting to venture out.

Our first trip post my retirement was going to be a tour of Scotland but that looks to be out so maybe weā€™ll head for somewhere down south when the moment seems right.. we Love Northumberland but had planned to incorporate that at the end of our Scotland trip..
Donā€™t give up your dream. Sometimes these things are worth waiting for. Perhaps go to Northumberland anyway, there is enough there (and stops on the way) to make a lovely trip without going to Scotland this time.
Hopefully our wonderful scientists will find and produce a vaccine within a year.
Chin up :hugs:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Why not go to Scotland? As for going down south, have you seen the pictures of down south? Thatā€™s the last direction I want to go. The southerners donā€™t seem to grasp social distancing at all. Go north as you planned. Whisky, fewer people,whisky, bigger mountains, whisky, more wildlife, and did I mention whisky šŸ„ƒ.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
London was doing well last night šŸ˜
Unreal ....buy a pint of milk mask mandatory.....buy a pint of beer no mask required.

I appreciate it looks a bit scary, but whats the alternative? ... keep it locked down and put another 3m people out of work claiming benefits?

"In 2015 the UK hospitality industry employed around 2.9m people - around 9% of the UK workforce. By employment, it is the UK's fourth-largest industry. The most jobs in the industry are found in London (around 500,000) and South East England (around 400,000); 18% of workers in the UK industry are in London."

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
The young of this country have made a hugely significant sacrifice for the older citizens. The young have always been at negligible risk of anything happening to them, and yet we have have all racked up enormous debts that will re-shape the prosperity of their entire lives and their families futures.
Many of them have had businesses and careers ruined, some have had some of the most important years of their lives (GCSE/A levels/College years) severely disrupted ...and they have done this willingly, without complaint (so far) and whilst the virus was killing so many people - it was right and proper that they do.

But at some point, the older generation has to say enough, and let the completely unaffected generation get on with saving whats left from the wreckage. I know we'll never all agree exactly on this - and thats what makes this forum so engaging - the huge variety of opinions - but If not now, then when?

Before we criticise young people any more, and ask them to make yet more sacrifices, we must outline the alternative, and it has to be credible ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The young of this country have made a hugely significant sacrifice for the older citizens. The young have always been at negligible risk of anything happening to them, and yet we have have all racked up enormous debts that will re-shape the prosperity of their entire lives and their families futures.
Many of them have had businesses and careers ruined, some have had some of the most important years of their lives (GCSE/A levels/College years) severely disrupted ...and they have done this willingly, without complaint (so far) and whilst the virus was killing so many people - it was right and proper that they do.

But at some point, the older generation has to say enough, and let the completely unaffected generation get on with saving whats left from the wreckage. I know we'll never all agree exactly on this - and thats what makes this forum so engaging - the huge variety of opinions - but If not now, then when?

Before we criticise young people any more, and ask them to make yet more sacrifices, we must outline the alternative, and it has to be credible ?
I don't believe there's any criticism of the younger end of the population wanting to get on with their lives. It's that small section of the population, not necessarily very young, who seem to be intent on not using any commonsense when "enjoying" themselves.

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anneā€™s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Unreal ....buy a pint of milk mask mandatory.....buy a pint of beer no mask required. View attachment 404328

Perhaps natural selection will filter these idiots down to a more careful population if/when the next pandemic comes...

This new G4 swine flu will be next, Iā€™m not sure I believe the ā€œexpertsā€ anymore, everybody is just winging it!

We are remaining ā€œlocked downā€ because itā€™s not worth the risk of losing loved ones, but we will be locked down in the MH too when we get it in a week or so. I think itā€™s entirely possible to have a nice holiday in the MH without having to put yourselves and others at risk.

Even in the laundry / washing up areas, wear a mask, wash your hands and stick to the original 2 metre rule. Use hand sanitiser / antibacterial wipes regularly.

We are hoping to go over to Whitby on our first little trip but we havenā€™t booked anything, so Iā€™m not sure if weā€™ll get in now šŸ˜ž

Do you think itā€™ll be impossible to book anywhere? Has anyone rang up to find fully booked sites?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How is any quarantine going to work though, thousands will come in and promptly disappear , who is going to check them?
Thats why it needs to be like other countries at a gov approved place at the travellers expense. Just book out whole hotels in areas easy to police. Guess which countries are doing it well.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Cornwall sank by 2" yesterday under the weight of all the visitors arriving!! We have had very few deaths from Covid, but I will be very surprised if we don't get a massive spike in Covid cases later this year.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

No problem with the young šŸ‘After all it was the Young that saved our country in the war's who are now old and at Risk.
Fine but don't they deserve a bit of payback? I don't know the answers .Perhaps we simply let it run its course and kill a few hundred k or million then the country will save a fortune in pensions that the once "young " paid for all their lives so the young of today can get on with their lives dept free.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There has never been any point in a lockdown beyond what is necessary to remain within NHS capacity and to help protect the vulnerable. It was never possible to assume a vaccine would be developed so plans could never be made on the basis of immunisation. With no long-term solution in sight the only option was to contain the hit on the NHS. I've assumed that within the planning allowance was made for the numbers unlikely to comply with any directive and for the number of essential workers likely to be exposed. Having NHS capacity available for the foreseeable future means that the slow trickle of people exposed to the virus can be treated and therefore the death rate can be kept as low as possible. Allowing more and more freedom as time goes on is acceptable as long as NHS headroom remains. Nothing other than their own efforts will prevent vulnerable age groups from being affected. Social distancing within essential businesses (mainly food and medical outlets) is just about all the help older people can, or should, expect.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Having said people coming into the country have to quarantine I believe that they have now abandoned that again or am I wrong? I dread the prospect of people arriving from the USA where the problem seems to be growing along with South America, Africa, India, Pakistan etc. We seem to have given up on the safe approach and abandoned it for the sake of commerce! I reckon that there will be second spikes and it will be interesting to see where!

It's OK if you are Nigel Farage, Quarantine does not apply to him.
Spotted in a pub having got off a plane from the USA.

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The chance of winning the lottery is about 1 in 14million, people still think those odds are good, but you're 5000 more likely to catch covid.......

If anyone thinks odds of 1 in 14 million are good, they display the lack of understanding that many others will take for stupidity.

JJ :cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was confused by the scenes outside the London bars. I thought the rule was table service only? There appear to be hundreds standing around without any table at all. I feel sorry for the pubs but this should be enforced and take away should be banned straight away.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
But at some point, the older generation has to say enough, and let the completely unaffected generation get on with saving whats left from the wreckage.

Are the younger generation "completely unaffected"? Whilst their death rate is definitely lower than the older generation is their infection rate?:unsure: If it is similar to the older generation they will, potentially, be passing on the infection at the same rate to both young and old.

Agreed on your second point and that is what is missing for me.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Unreal ....buy a pint of milk mask mandatory.....buy a pint of beer no mask required.
Not mandatory to wear a mask to buy a pint of milk in England. You are mixing up the arrangements in Scotland where it will be mandatory from the 10th July to wear a facecovering in shops.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm so outraged!!!!!!!! Not
The age group's least likely to have serious illness from Covid
Most likely to have their employment opportunities messed up for years
Will end up paying more tax for years
A few go out and don't behave sensibly
The papers were desperate for this to be headline news and most of it would have been written days ago
I think the young have had to put up with a truck load of the s##t from Covid and done fairly well

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Back to the pubs. Some people maybe acting irresponsibly but by far the majority are not. Saw several pubs open yesterday and everybody was being sensible. There is a-lot of press scaremongering and sensationalism.

Drove to Devon late morning yesterday (unfortunately not in the MH) and there was the inevitable queue at M5ā€™s junction 30 however the queue was not long and less than usual but there was what looked like a TV camera man on the bridge filming. No doubt wanting to make an issue about a logjam of caravans and MHā€™s rushing off after the lock down to Devon and Cornwall.

Stay safe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back