Blue powder mould inside cupboards! HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Bond007

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, I am here on behalf of my parents who have been having trouble with this problem! Apparently it is a recurring thing despite regular maintenance and cleaning. It is a Fiat 2004 Bessacarr E410 used mainly though the summer but also used as late as October. It is often started and allowed to stand and taken out now and then during the months it is unused and is kept at our home address. As far as I'm aware it has always passed the MOT or had any necessary problems fixed.

Can anyone suggest what can be done to fix and ideally prevent this from happening again?

My own personal suggestions were to gut the van of all clothes, cooking utensils, bedding and everything else that can be removed during the winter, washing and clean all fabrics, bedding, dry and store indoors until next proper use. Leave all draws, cupboards and doors open to air. Clean every 3-4 weeks with a good anti mould cleaning product or disinfectant. Finally, run a mains powered dehumidifier for several hours of the day after to remove excess moisture from the air.

Thank you in advance for any help.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! I suggest they take it to someone who can do a check for dampness. It is possible there is a fault in the vehicle body allowing water to enter the structure.

In the short term open all the cupboard doors and run a dehumidifier if they have or can borrow one - but this won't be a long term solution if there is a leak somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bond007

Bond007

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome! I suggest they take it to someone who can do a check for dampness. It is possible there is a fault in the vehicle body allowing water to enter the structure.

In the shirt term open all the cupboard doors and run a dehumidifier if they have it can borrow one - but this won't be a long term solution if there is a leak somewhere.

Thank you, somehow a leak didn't enter my mind haha, it may have a small small one which is all it takes I assume! I will mention this to my father now.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
mould spores can be various colours but all are damaging to a motorhome and human health. normally spraying with a bleach solution or fungicide will kill such mould. however mould indicates a damp poorly ventilated van. cure the damp and you stop the mould coming back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bond007

Bond007

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Yes that should sort it. Probably don't even need the dehumidifier just remove anything that could hold damp. Also might be worth going round it with a damp meter (y)

I believe they have looked into a damp meter today so I am glad you mentioned that! Thank you! :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
As John says it could be a damp problem, Swift group vans are well known for damp and water ingress promlems. If it is caused by damp the van could be in need of some expensive repair work.
Dehumidifiers are a waste of time as vans have permanent ventilation as you will be trying to dehumidifie the atmosphere.
Also not a good idea to leave vans standing over the winter, if not in use they need to be take for at least a 20 mile run every few weeks & get everything up to operating temperature.

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
All down to airflow open eliminates damp all shut and it thrives

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm sorry to disagree with Lenny HB, but a dehumidifier will reduce dampness in a motorhome ... I have used one in the past along with a humidity meter and it definitely works. Bear in mind, most dehumidifiers (not all) work less efficiently at low temperatures and not at all below about 6°C so some heating may be required.

I do however agree that the best solution is ventilation.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm sorry to disagree with Lenny HB, but a dehumidifier will reduce dampness in a motorhome ... I have used one in the past along with a humidity meter and it definitely works. Bear in mind, most dehumidifiers (not all) work less efficiently at low temperatures and not at all below about 6°C so some heating may be required.

I do however agree that the best solution is ventilation.

We use a dehumidifier. It may just pull in (damp) air from outside but we are getting fresh air through the van and we leave all cupboards open when the van is not being used.

I also take in everything that I can - all textiles including clothes but pots and pans are left inside :)

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If the van is kept at home during winter can you not connect the hook-up and place a small heater in? Also leave a couple of vents/windows slightly open to allow airflow. This should stop any mould returning after treatment.
Cheers, Dave:xThumb:
ps leave the cupboard doors OPEN

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The problem might be caused by not leaving the cupboard doors open during storage periods. When the van gets used next the main living areas get heated and the back of cupboards stays cold. This causes condensation and if not dried off will create Mold.

We leave everything in our van and use it regularly. Always leave our cupboards open and heat the van before closing and driving off.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Would it be possible to persuade your parents to use the van all year round?
That's by far & away the best answer to keeping the van dry.
I agree with some of the comments you've already received, buy yourself a damp meter, they're cheap & invaluable. If there is a leak, get it repaired promptly.

Mould usually needs something to feed upon, try wiping all of the surfaces using a clean cloth & Dettol spray, it doesn't contain bleach & doesn't harm fabrics or other surfaces.
That might eliminate whatever the mould is feeding on.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=detto...2b6774912f3d945c5aa8fe33d&cc=GB&setlang=en-GB

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
The blue colouring may have come from the sandwich bonding in the wall ,I have seen lots of this colour in use ,mould and mildew are caused by lack of ventilation and warmth one one side and cold on the other .

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Mould needs DAMP to grow. The spores are spread by air movement. Cleaning everywhere with ( 1 cup of bleach in a gallon of water ) is recommended on the Internet. It can be a right pain to get rid of. Keep the MH dry and well aired. Remove as many items as possible which have any form of cloth covering. Open doors and cupboards. There should be enough ventilation to allow air to circulate. Leaving MHs for months on end without using them is not a very good idea. Switching the heating on does not do much apart from cost money. It certainly doesn't dry anything out. A dehumidifier will remove water from the air but the MH is outside and they are not that well sealed so the air is just replaced. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I am pretty sure the OP has got it sorted. Don't bother with the dehumidifier though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back