Bl**dy gas cylinders! (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK how many times do we all wake up in the middle of the night to that annoying "tick, tick, tick" from either the fridge or the heating because the gas cylinder has run out. Prompting running outside (and it's usually raining) to changeover the cylinder.

Because I want to travel with two full cylinders when we catch the ferry in 2 days, I thought I'd see how much is left in the connected cylinder, gave it the customary shake, and I reckon there's about a quarter left in it.

Now it seems the fecking thing is going to last forever! When I actually want it to run out! I've cooked my tea in the oven in the van to try and use more gas, the fridge is on gas, even though I have a hookup! I'm seriously considering turning the gas heater on just to burn off the last of it!

The law of sod has caught up with me big time! :mad:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes I agree, refillable bottles or preferably underslung tank is much easier ... just top up a few litres if necessary anytime.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
And of course with refillables, with the correct adaptors, there's no need to top up before you leave.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OK how many times do we all wake up in the middle of the night to that annoying "tick, tick, tick" from either the fridge or the heating because the gas cylinder has run out. Prompting running outside (and it's usually raining) to changeover the cylinder.

Because I want to travel with two full cylinders when we catch the ferry in 2 days, I thought I'd see how much is left in the connected cylinder, gave it the customary shake, and I reckon there's about a quarter left in it.

Now it seems the fecking thing is going to last forever! When I actually want it to run out! I've cooked my tea in the oven in the van to try and use more gas, the fridge is on gas, even though I have a hookup! I'm seriously considering turning the gas heater on just to burn off the last of it!

The law of sod has caught up with me big time! :mad:
I seem to recall someone on here had a full refillable cylinder for sale the other day.

Deleted User
If going to France, Intermarche are selling 9k propane/10k butane for €18.99 plus €1 deposit, same fitting as a UK 4.5k butane, take one full and buy another there.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Official top up bottles or a tank are the best way to go as said earlier you can just top up with a few litres when necessary also when you exchange a gas bottle you always give some back to the vendor as you can't completely empty the bottle!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When I had exchange bottles I carried a small luggage scale (the type used to make sure you'r within baggage allowance). Very simple matter to hook on and weigh.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Before I fitted refillables, NONE of the tanks (nominal 13kg Propane) I ever had were stamped with the weight! I queried it with the supplying dealers and got a shrug as explanation :(
I resorted to weighing the tanks on the bathroom scales when they were empty and writing the weight on the tanks. Didn't actually help, as we didn't take the scales with us and in any case I wasn't going to uncouple each tank and remove it every time I wanted to check the available contents.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It's better to leave a little and not run out completely.
When we unintentionally purged the system when in Spain, we couldn't for the life of us get the gas flowing out of the 'new' bottle to the fridge. Oven,Yes, Hob, Certainly. Heater? Not a problem. Fridge, No chance.
It was a Saturday and we were on a prime spot on a beach that we had to give up and go to a site for the use of their Lekky.
Several hours later we 'discovered' that the gas had got through and we had gas again.
We did all the tricks known to man to get the fridge to light, but would it? %^&%$£!!!

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If going to France, Intermarche are selling 9k propane/10k butane for €18.99 plus €1 deposit, same fitting as a UK 4.5k butane, take one full and buy another there.
I did not know that, very useful info, thanks.

Deleted User
I did not know that, very useful info, thanks.

Other supermarkets will do similar, the Intermarche ones are a nice size, same diameter as 11k bottles but not as tall, be aware that the fittings are different on the 'le cube' type bottles they sell in France but it is fairly obvious as they have a push on fitting.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Refillables from Gas-it.
Top up every time you see a garage that sells it.
Job done. No more lugging those bloody cylinders around OR getting financially shafted ! ! !
Saves over £10 every time you fill a bottle ! !
No brainer.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back