Bird call...? (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
whilst traveling down Croatia I have been hearing what I think is a bird, it starts at dusk and continues through the dark evening. The only sound that I can say it sounds like is a submarine ping ....

Any ideas...?

@DBK perhaps...?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Had one at dusk in Sth Yorks... that was doing my head in... insofar as not heard before....

Could see it “hovering” but couldn’t identify.. too dark (dusk wise)

Finally sussed it out to be a nightjar...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a bovine dumper bird living in a tree above the carport.
It's called a bovine dumper bird as the amount of shit dumped on a daily basis is around the same as a cow.
I had to built the car port to prevent my car paintwork getting acid etched.
Fortunately for the bird it's only active at night so I can't see it in my gun sights.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Well what a speedy and brilliant response from @DBK and right on target. We have been in Croatia for several weeks and have heard this bird in every place we stopped from Istria to Dalmatia and on the islands. Janet said it was an owl but I said no. Moved from Losinj to Cres yesterday and no Scops owl last night., quite missed it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Funny true story ... One windy night in south of France, we were pitched on a site next to some friends (John + Val) .. next morning, John was complaining he couldn't sleep due to a nearby toilet block door swinging and creaking in the breeze... So he had ventured out in the early hours, wearing very little, in order to jam the door shut ... this still didn't stop the noise ... it had of course been the sound of a Scops Owl all along!:doh:

Well I thought it was funny:LOL:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I love owls ...

DBK was brilliant at identifying the one that kept me awxke all night which, at first, I thought was some idiot pushing a wheelbarrow around the site with a squeaky wheel. :/

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Strangely since this stream started I haven't heard a Scops owl. I know we moved from 1 island to another, Losinj to Cres, but they are joined by a bridge of 50 metres length or less. Lay awake last night waiting for him/her to start. Had to keep playing @DBK link to lull myself to sleep.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Strangely since this stream started I haven't heard a Scops owl. I know we moved from 1 island to another, Losinj to Cres, but they are joined by a bridge of 50 metres length or less. Lay awake last night waiting for him/her to start. Had to keep playing @DBK link to lull myself to sleep.
Just near that bridge is the birthplace of the geologist Mohorovic, who discovered the boundary between the earth's crust and the mantle beneath it. This boundary is called the Mohorovicic Discontinuity, commonly known as the Moho in geological circles.
Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't quite fallen asleep...:)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Just near that bridge is the birthplace of the geologist Mohorovic, who discovered the boundary between the earth's crust and the mantle beneath it. This boundary is called the Mohorovicic Discontinuity, commonly known as the Moho in geological circles.
Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't quite fallen asleep...:)
I thought the research I do as we move around was pretty good but your knowledge shames me. I must stay awake even more.
I have now looked him up. Interesting man, has a crater on the moon named after him.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back