Beware BT Open Reach Scam (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
This may have been reported but I thought I might give a heads up anyway.

Had a call on my landline, chap with an indian accent said he was from BT Openreach and that they had identified a possible fault on my broadband. He asked what my download speed was and when I told him it was 56.2 and 6.9 upload he said it should be much faster and he would put me through to the technical advisor. This second chap said he said he could fix the issue and asked me to download a piece of software called "Teamviewer". This is genuine software but I know it is used so that others can take control of your computer so I told him I didn't think he was from BT as which he became insistent that he was genuine. I asked for a number I could call him back on and the line went dead.

The number they had called from was 01236348114 and when called a recorded message says 'No service is currently running on this number, you have not been charged forth call."

I did a quick internet search which confirms others have had similar calls and this is a scam so would advise extreme caution.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Likewise with the calls, always tell them to foook off in no uncertain terms,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I get at least 2 calls a day of a similar nature mostly saying BT which is strange as I don't even use BT, mostly now they cant even be bothered to get a person to ring me and just use a recorded voice telling me I will be cut off and I need to press 1 to prevent it from happening, needless to say anyone foolish enough to press it will not only get connected to the scammers so they can try to get you to give them access to your PC but they will also charge you a premium rate call charge for the privilege (and you cannot get any refund on this as technically you initiated the call).

Reactions: GPW

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
get it most days:(

I get at least 2 calls a day of a similar nature
I am genuinely not trying to be a smart ar@e gents, but we don't get any calls of a scamming nature on our landline, and haven't done for many years, and exceptionally few on the mobiles over the years.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
lots of robot voice scams which are similar .
with the "human" contacts , I just say send it in writing , and hang up .

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not had that one for a while, looks like they have finally realised there is no BT in Hull.
Had another 'accident' one today. politely told them that the only accident they could be referring to had occurred in 1965, funnily enought they couldn't do anything about that one.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I am genuinely not trying to be a smart ar@e gents, but we don't get any calls of a scamming nature on our landline, and haven't done for many years, and exceptionally few on the mobiles over the years.

Cheers,

I’m not surprised Jock, you are never at home. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I get the BT scammers a few times a month and always start chatting, then ask why somebody like them has to take a job defrauding people and ask why they dont get a proper job. They generally hang up on me but some are insistent they are from BT. It's only then that I tell them I am on cable with Virgin

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
We have had so many saying that they are going to terminate our Broadband within 24 hours that when they call now I complain to them that I am still waiting for them to do it. :boxing::boxing:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I remember way back when the Irish were bombing, my dad worked evenings in a bingo hall. Every other week they got a call from somebody with an Irish accent suggesting that a bomb had been planted in the building. This one night my dad picked up the phone, heard an Irish accent, so said "good evening (the local) police station". The guy on the other end was not very impressed as he WAS a police officer calling from the local nick to inform them that a batch of fraudulent bank notes was being circulated locally

They ended up laughing about it, but the bomb threats kept happening until one day, they just stopped

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Got a call at Lorraine's I was on the phone for nearly 45 mins. Failed to understand, blue screen etc etc,, I was having fun.
He said that we were about to be cut off because of illegal activity on the line, I offered to turn off the PC and the router (nothing else can be affected), dragged it along, ..

What he wanted was for me to download Teamviewer and then allow him to access my PC. no matter how hard he tried, www.teamviewer.com I simply could not get the url right, he was getting right frustrated and HE gave up..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Spooky. Just as I was reading this thread my mobile rang. Recorded voice telling me a British tax fraud has been registered under my name and I must press 1 to access it. Odd as HMRC don't have my mobile number.........
Number that called was 03002003731

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It's funny how all these Indian chaps have good old British nanes like Jim, Bob, Pete or Wayne etc.
yep, the name's Wayne! Wayne Ker

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I usually enjoy a little chat with them, pretending to follow their instructions for a while before “realising” I am not with BT.

It’s only their time i’m wasting. I have enough to spare.:)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

Cheers,

Me 2 I never ever get them on my landline..... Mind you it would probably help if a actually ever had a handset plugged into the wall :)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We never get any of these kind of calls.
X Directory, TPS registered, and BT8600 handset

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I get at least 2 calls a day of a similar nature mostly saying BT which is strange as I don't even use BT, mostly now they cant even be bothered to get a person to ring me and just use a recorded voice telling me I will be cut off and I need to press 1 to prevent it from happening, needless to say anyone foolish enough to press it will not only get connected to the scammers so they can try to get you to give them access to your PC but they will also charge you a premium rate call charge for the privilege (and you cannot get any refund on this as technically you initiated the call).

i get this, some american accented recording sayin ill be cut off.......have come back to 12 msgs on ansa fone in one day!!!

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
A local restaurateur told me he got a scam call from an Indian gentleman, trying to sell him something. So he strung him along and, as his unmarried daughter was with him, he started to wind her up by asking the foreign gentleman if he was married. To the negative reply, my friend then started to tell him about his beautiful daughter, and how she was looking for an intelligent man like him. The chap from India then quickly closed down the call, saying he wasn't allowed to discuss personal matters. But the funny thing was, he called my friend at the end of his shift asking if he could speak to the daughter. I never heard what the outcome was, other than the poor girl didn't think her dad was very funny. But it certainly lightened the dreary monotony of scam calls.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We got rid of the landline months ago, now only use mobiles and Virgin Media broadband.

Money saved and no scam calls.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Received this email today from TV Licensing - 33880922 <tomosyoukei@koala.odn.ne.jp>

Are the BBC outsourcing to Japan

From Subject Received Size
TV Licensing - 33880922
TV Licence Status: Expiry Tonight | TV1-756092783 12:38 10 KB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread