best sim for wifi usage abroad (1 Viewer)

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Recently took out a Three sim only plan with SIM Unlimited Data, Unlimited Minutes text and calls - 12 months for £16/Month. Reading some of the comments here I'm not sure if this extends to a limited usage abroad, although the plan does say I can use my allowance abroad? Is this a good deal?
Want to use it with my HUAWEI 5573, for streaming media such as Films, Live TV, etc. would welcome any comments or recommendations

Three sim on a contract is restricted to 20GB/month while abroad.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Recently took out a Three sim only plan with SIM Unlimited Data, Unlimited Minutes text and calls - 12 months for £16/Month. Reading some of the comments here I'm not sure if this extends to a limited usage abroad, although the plan does say I can use my allowance abroad? Is this a good deal?
Want to use it with my HUAWEI 5573, for streaming media such as Films, Live TV, etc. would welcome any comments or recommendations
I too have just taken out 3 sim plan. I haven't used it yet. I too would like to hear comments.
As I am still in the 14 day calling off period.
Thanks John.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Pretty sure that will be limited to 25Gb when abroad.

Edit, OK I will go with 20Gb as the Smarty on Three is 20Gb

From the Three web site,

"If you’re in a Go Roam in Europe destination, you can use up to 20GB if you have a data allowance".

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I too have just taken out 3 sim plan. I haven't used it yet. I too would like to hear comments.
As I am still in the 14 day calling off period.
Thanks John.

We left the Three contract and went with smarty.co.uk simply because Three treat the IOM as one of their roaming countries, therefore restricted to 20GB’s/month. We have two smarty sims (they treat the IOM as part of the UK) and alternate them, you can leave them dormant for up to six months. If we go abroad, we top them both up with £10 = £20 giving us 20GB’s on each to use in a Huawei mobile modem with an antenna while outside the UK. It‘s enough for a short trip abroad, but when at home we alternate the sims with the £18/month top ups which keeps us unlimited everything.

Horses for courses.

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks, Funfair, just received a Welcoming letter from Three and your correct it is limited to 20GB whilst abroad which comes out of the Unlimted Data allowance for the UK.
Any thoughts on using my HUAWEI 5573 for Streaming? The reason I'm asking is it's about 3/4 years old so wondering do I need to upgrade to a newer model

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would have thought that your HUAWEI would be OK but that is only a guess.

M

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
We have the 5577, which looks very similar to the 5573. It works great streaming from a fire stick onto an Avtex tv. You can get antennas for them and it makes a big difference if you are somewhere remote.

Just checked, the 5573 has got antenna ports.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does anyone have recent experience of using Three when roaming and the data rates they are getting?

I gave up using Three over 2 years ago as the speed always got throttled when roaming & it didn't matter what network you connected to.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
smarty use Three Lenny, ours worked just fine in France last year without throttling and the antenna definitely made a big difference in remote spots.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Vodafone has just reintroduced their sim only plan of 100gb data all useable abroad for £20 / month. contract.
deal ends early sept

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
This is the closest one to mine I could find on Fleabay. Mine came with the router bought from Kuma. The fittings look identical, but if you do get one be really careful when plugging the leads in or out, the ends are made of brass and very brittle, broke one set already.

I found the antenna can get you on emails even when the phones have lost signal. If you don’t go to remote places there is absolutely no need for one.

Attachments

• D266508E-3677-401C-A5DC-4241927AD507.png
    D266508E-3677-401C-A5DC-4241927AD507.png
    317.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DD1CBBA0-6543-4717-8EE6-9398C0F7D67C.png
    DD1CBBA0-6543-4717-8EE6-9398C0F7D67C.png
    354 KB · Views: 26

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Just been looking on Mobiles .co.uk and they are doing a vodaphone sim 100gb for £9.75 a month after cash back. What do you have to do to get it at this price as it should be £20 a month

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What do you have to do to get it at this price as it should be £20 a month
You have to read through their T&C's, which will require you to submit certain bills on certain months, to claim your cashback. Should you either submit the wrong bill, or submit the right bill at the wrong time, or it doesn't include the EXACT info asked for, you will lose your cashback for that month, as well as for the remainder of the contract. 😮

They sometimes offer a reduced cashback as a one off payment, which folks go for, if they don't want to jump through the hoops. 😉

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just been looking on Mobiles .co.uk and they are doing a vodaphone sim 100gb for £9.75 a month after cash back. What do you have to do to get it at this price as it should be £20 a month
You have to read through their T&C's, which will require you to submit certain bills on certain months, to claim your cashback. Should you either submit the wrong bill, or submit the right bill at the wrong time, or it doesn't include the EXACT info asked for, you will lose your cashback for that month, as well as for the remainder of the contract. 😮

They sometimes offer a reduced cashback as a one off payment, which folks go for, if they don't want to jump through the hoops. 😉

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂
Our previous Vodafone contract was via Mobiles.co.uk and it was very easy to do the cashback, they need you to submit the bills for certain months but you get 60 days to do so, therefore no massive panic - all you do is download the one from the Vodafone site and then log into your Mobiles.co.uk account and upload it giving a little bit of detail, nothing onerous about it at all.

We now have 2 x Vodafone 100gb contracts via Fonehouse.co.uk (24 months) costing £20 a month reduced to £8 after cashback - our first cashback submission isn't due until 6 months after we took it out, ie the bills for months 6, 9, 12, 15 & 18, it needs a little bit more info than the Mobiles.co.uk site but again nothing major and 60 days to do it.

NB: The Fonehouse one is the same sim as the one via Mobiles but £1.75 a month cheaper!

Last edited:

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Our previous Vodafone contract was via Mobiles.co.uk and it was very easy to do the cashback, they need you to submit the bills for certain months but you get 60 days to do so, therefore no massive panic - all you do is download the one from the Vodafone site and then log into your Mobiles.co.uk account and upload it giving a little bit of detail, nothing onerous about it at all.

We now have 2 x Vodafone 100gb contracts via Fonehouse.co.uk (24 months) costing £20 a month reduced to £8 after cashback - our first cashback submission isn't due until 6 months after we took it out, ie the bills for months 6, 9, 12, 15 & 18, it needs a little bit more info than the Mobiles.co.uk site but again nothing major and 60 days to do it.

NB: The Fonehouse one is the same sim as the one via Mobiles but £1.75 a month cheaper!
What speed do you get Mel as Vodaphone have three different ones?

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Does anyone have recent experience of using Three when roaming and the data rates they are getting?

I gave up using Three over 2 years ago as the speed always got throttled when roaming & it didn't matter what network you connected to.
I have used Three unlimited in Spain for last two winters continuously for 4 months and five months usage respectively. I always use up to but not above the 19gb (now 20gb) per month limit and have never been warned or restricted. I do not have an antenna just a huawei mifi but am rarely in the middle of nowhere and had no problems with signal, although I have had to manually change roaming provider occasionally as I move about. I watch BBC iPlayer sometimes and no problem with data rate. When in the UK I use this setup in place of home broadband and very happy with it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What speed do you get Mel as Vodaphone have three different ones?
This is the one , it's the Red Plan with no speed restriction (see my note below):

1597397581351.png

It looks like the cashback has reduced on the plan now as we will get £288 back making ours £8 pcm, it's now more pcm at £9.83 whereas via Mobiles.co.uk it's £9.75 so they are now the cheapest for this one ...I wish they'd stop changing them ... it does my head in! :whatthe:

Fonehouse cost: £480 less £244 cashback = £236, which equates to £9.83 pcm.
Mobiles cost: £480 less £246 cashback = £234, which equates to £9.75 pcm.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's not what is says in their T&C's fair usage policy, limited to 25Gb/month as are all Vodafone plans.
I have Vodaphone 100gb plan and can use in fact I have used all 100gb in Spain/Portugal. BUSBY.

Deleted User
I have Vodaphone 100gb plan and can use in fact I have used all 100gb in Spain/Portugal. BUSBY.
So have I , only 60 GB for the last 2 years 10 months of the year but that's not what it says/said on their website.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
We had a 50gb Vodafone sim France and Spain last year. All was fine for 3 months then apparently our data usage went through the roof. All in 1Gb chunks over night from about 2 am .... lost 8 gig in one night alone.. I kicked up a right stink for days and days as it simply could not possibly have been us using the data. Even took the sim out of the mifi... still data was being "used". Vodafone said... firstly we were lying, trying to scam them for money, our kids are using it ( we dont have any) , devices downloading updates automatically ( tricky when sim wasnt in mifi) everything but admit there was a problem. Eventually they paid 2 months charge and we cancelled. They simply ground us down.. I had to contact the CEO in the end as the call centre couldn't evern return a call as promised and when they did I would have to explain everything from the beginning as there was clearly no note made on my case file. Never again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back