best sim for wifi usage abroad (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is really confusing. I want to buy a SIM card for the mifi for a 3 week trip to Italy. Any ideas??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I took a contract with 3 for 'unlimited' (100GB) data and I pop the sim into the MoHo 4G mifi router when abroad. It works well giving us wifi for my wife's mobile and the smart TV too.
We were told that Netflix doesn't eat into the data allowance (which is , or at least was, true - maybe still is) but we were not told that a 100GB allowance dwindles to 19GB when outside the UK but within Europe.
We were told by 3 on our return that all networks apply this 19GB cap. Or should that be crap?

Used car salesmen, double glazing salesmen and now data salesmen?
You have to read the small print.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Just read on EE’s site if your mobile plan has 50Gb of data or less you can use the lot abroad and on 4g.
Don’t believe the guff about only using your networks preferred roaming partner network either, you are free to choose the fastest network you can find. Turn of automatic network selection and try them all for speed.
I have found that some networks abroad are actually faster on 3G than 4g

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
I got a brand new I pad with Sim with 15GB of data per month for £23 x 24 months. (The I pad itself was £500 in Curries) The data not used rolls over monthly and I currently have 100 gb banked and just returned from 12 nights away. I can watch Sky go through the I pad and that doesn’t use any data what so ever. If I want to watch the fire stick I put the sim into a WiFi booster and use up the data banked, this works for us but will consider Smarty when the contract expires if I can’t get a better sim deal negotiating with sky.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
I'm not knowledgable on this subject, so I read everything I can that is posted by " veteran" Moho users.
You might like to look at what "Our Tour" have written on the subject. I hope to be in Spain sometime in the new year and it would seem that a local sourced sim card 32GB can be purchased for Euro 17.

Deleted User
Just read on EE’s site if your mobile plan has 50Gb of data or less you can use the lot abroad and on 4g.
Don’t believe the guff about only using your networks preferred roaming partner network either, you are free to choose the fastest network you can find. Turn of automatic network selection and try them all for speed.

That's not what is says in their T&C's fair usage policy, limited to 25Gb/month as are all Vodafone plans.

CAH

Free Member
May 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Learning
Exp
Potential owner - just looking
Have a look at giffgaff sim only

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's not what is says in their T&C's fair usage policy, limited to 25Gb/month as are all Vodafone plans.
The Vodafone Red 40Gb and 60Gb plans are not limited to 25GB, I have just asked on their web chat and got confirmation.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Sorry I should have said the Red plans ie 40Gb and 60Gb are not limited, the unlimited is limited to 25Gb,

I have had lengthy discussions on several occasions with Vodafone as my contract is up for renewal soon and every operator has categorically stated that all plans are now limited to 25 Gb roaming allowance and they cannot alter this.
My present 60Gb, 24 month contract has not been limited and I got this confirmed by email, they will not now do this.

Possibly due to Br........shit!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's been my experience too. The explanation is a strong 3G signal can be better than a weak 4G signal.

Deleted User
I have ordered a Smarty 30Gb 30 day sim limited to 20Gb roaming for £10/month which seems good if it works ok in Portugal. I will combine this with a Vodafone deal to keep my number and whatever payg sim bundles are offering deals. Vodafone are offering 15Gb/month for 3 months on one of their payg bundles and as I need a new phone Argos are offering this bundle free with a Samsung phone.
I was paying £50/month for 60Gb so am hoping to get this combined total on different sims for less.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
I have had lengthy discussions on several occasions with Vodafone as my contract is up for renewal soon and every operator has categorically stated that all plans are now limited to 25 Gb roaming allowance and they cannot alter this.
My present 60Gb, 24 month contract has not been limited and I got this confirmed by email, they will not now do this.

Possibly due to Br........shit!

I went to the Vodaphone shop on Monday and specifically asked about the 60GB sim and was advised by the manager that ALL their sims are capped at 25GB EU roaming now. I wish these companies could just give us the same answer so we knew what the situation is - so frustrating!

Also, they could not / would not confirm what will happen come January 1st and B*****

Deleted User
I went to the Vodaphone shop on Monday and specifically asked about the 60GB sim and was advised by the manager that ALL their sims are capped at 25GB EU roaming now. I wish these companies could just give us the same answer so we knew what the situation is - so frustrating!

Also, they could not / would not confirm what will happen come January 1st and B*****

From what I can gather all suppliers are now using a roaming cap, in the past Vodafone had a fair usage policy regarding roaming but from all accounts this was rarely implemented, things have changed!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When I took out my O2 sim, I was told there were no restrictions In the Eurozone and up until now have found this to be the case. Works ok as well.........

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Another vote for Vodafone 100 monthly £21 a month watch ITV ITV hub BBC iPlayer loads of films through a Roko stick no problem any where Good luck it can be a mine field but as not been a problem for us throughout Europe keeps the Little Lady happy So Happy Time's for me

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Vodafone Red 40Gb and 60Gb plans are not limited to 25GB, I have just asked on their web chat and got confirmation.
Same here Martin, and I have screenshot the conversation.

Screenshot_20200729-174459.png

Cheers,

Jock. :)

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I’v just spent an hour in our local Vodafone shop. Two days ago I took out an unlimited sim only contract with them, due to the very strict Covid control going on they told me the contract would by available on line.
Later I read it through and found the Roaming in EU was restricted to 25g. Not happy with that is why I returned today.
I saw the same assistant and he remembered me “ dinosaur “ I had described myself as when I first made enquiries. I said I was returning the Sim as it was not suitable for what I wanted, I had told him I would be using my phone as a base for streaming. He agreed that it was an oversight on his behalf.
He the spent a considerable amount of time looking at what would work, unfortunately he could find no contract that would give more than the 25g’s. Not wanting to waste money we resorted to a £20 a month contract giving 20g’s both here and abroad, with the possibility to upgrade at any time.
Up until now I have only used a ‘ pay as you go ‘ phone so I am into new territory with my new i phone, I will have to get one of our grandkids to show my how to ‘ tether ‘ it to my new Fire Stick. Laugh or cry ?

BernieT

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Did’nt read through the second page, now looks like a return to Vodafone to return this Sim. Good job we get 14 days to cancel.
I will have to have a look at the 100 for £21 or the Red 40, I really hav’nt a clue, I still a “ dinosaur “ my mind boggles at all this tec stuff.

BernieT

Deleted User
Same here Martin, and I have screenshot the conversation.

View attachment 411244

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Was this for a new contract or one taken out previously, when was this conversation.
I have dealt with 3 different people in the last week and they have all been singing from the same hymn sheet

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Did’nt read through the second page, now looks like a return to Vodafone to return this Sim. Good job we get 14 days to cancel.
I will have to have a look at the 100 for £21 or the Red 40, I really hav’nt a clue, I still a “ dinosaur “ my mind boggles at all this tec stuff.

BernieT
The Vodafone red 60Gb is a 12 month contract £20/month. All the 60Gb can be used in the Eurozone.
The 60Gb offer ends on 30th July .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Was this for a new contract or one taken out previously, when was this conversation.
I have dealt with 3 different people in the last week and they have all been singing from the same hymn sheet
A new contract taken out on 12th June with Fonehouse, part of mobiles.co.uk. Vodafone can't offer the same deals that the latter two companies offer, plus, you get cashback if you are happy to jump through their hoops.

The conversation I screenshot, was today's dialogue, as per my earlier post.

The three people you have spoken to, are obviously not singing from the correct hymn sheet, re Red Plan 40 or 60Gb.

Neither funflair, myself, nor Minxy Girl have got it wrong.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Deleted User
A new contract taken out on 12th June with Fonehouse, part of mobiles.co.uk. Vodafone can't offer the same deals that the latter two companies offer, plus, you get cashback if you are happy to jump through their hoops.

The conversation I screenshot, was today's dialogue, as per my earlier post.

The three people you have spoken to, are obviously not singing from the correct hymn sheet, re Red Plan 40 or 60Gb.

Neither funflair, myself, nor Minxy Girl have got it wrong.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂
I will make further inquiries but 12th June was 6 weeks ago, things have changed, 100Gb no longer available. I can find no reference on their website to a 25Gb cap other than on unlimited plans so I will persevere, back in UK tomorrow so will try again. I have had several issues with Vodafone recently and their online help has been hopeless.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Use your data, minutes and texts in 51 European destinations, add an extra 104 destinations at £6 a day with our Roam Further plan, or get our best coverage with Global Roaming Plus – 81 destinations included

Use your Unlimited Max plan to roam at no extra cost in 81 destinations worldwide – more than any other network. Roaming on all our Unlimited data plans is capped at 25GB a month in inclusive roaming. To find out more about terms, destinations and verification, see here.

The above two paragraphs are taken from Vodafone website. If you have a fixed data allowance you can use it all roaming. Unlimited is capped at 25 GB roaming.

Deleted User
Use your data, minutes and texts in 51 European destinations, add an extra 104 destinations at £6 a day with our Roam Further plan, or get our best coverage with Global Roaming Plus – 81 destinations included

Use your Unlimited Max plan to roam at no extra cost in 81 destinations worldwide – more than any other network. Roaming on all our Unlimited data plans is capped at 25GB a month in inclusive roaming. To find out more about terms, destinations and verification, see here.

The above two paragraphs are taken from Vodafone website. If you have a fixed data allowance you can use it all roaming. Unlimited is capped at 25 GB roaming.
I have read that several times but having spoken to 3 agents who have said that all plans are limited to25Gb and can find no definitive mention of 'all' in any of the online details, I need to pursue this further by actually talking to a proper sales agent, not some numpty in Mumbai!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back