best ideas for a camping shower (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Happy New Year to to all, I hope I can pick your brains ? I have a campervan rather than a motorhome, so I have no room for a shower.
I'm going to a lot of rallies that only have basic facilities, I bought a toilet tent from one of our tablets top sales that I haven't tried yet , what could you reccomend? I'm not into solar ones as I like a shower first thing and I have gas to heat water

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Happy New Year to to all, I hope I can pick your brains ? I have a campervan rather than a motorhome, so I have no room for a shower.
I'm going to a lot of rallies that only have basic facilities, I bought a toilet tent from one of our tablets top sales that I haven't tried yet , what could you reccomend? I'm not into solar ones as I like a shower first thing and I have gas to heat water

Could you not still use a solar shower and fill it up with hot water from your camper?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I like a shower first thing when I get up, but I have a shower in my MH. If I needed to heat up water and go out to a toilet tent to use it I think I would just stink for a few days on a rally, or be like Granny Weatherwax and just wash all the bits, as and when they become available. (Warning Pratchett reference)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
[QUOTE=" I have gas to heat water[/QUOTE]
Do you mean a source of hot water or a gas stove?
If stove :
In the dim and distant we used a 7l saucepan to boil water addto cold in a 25l plastic container mixto about 40 Celsius or centigrade (a fish tank thermometer will do)
Nowa days 12v shower pumps are available, but may not last @ 40+, i used to use a whale pump.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Could you not fit an external shower point on your van if you have a gas water heater in it just fit a Bullfinch external fitting.(y)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
[QUOTE=" I have gas to heat water
Do you mean a source of hot water or a gas stove?
If stove :
In the dim and distant we used a 7l saucepan to boil water addto cold in a 25l plastic container mixto about 40 Celsius or centigrade (a fish tank thermometer will do)
Nowa days 12v shower pumps are available, but may not last @ 40+, i used to use a whale pump.[/QUOTE]

There is no need to not have a shower, just change your ways when needed. I like to shower in the morning, but because I'm overwintering on a CS with an unheated shed for a shower toilet block I'm showering in the afternoon when the sheds warmed up bit.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
My mate had a race van with no shower, he had a sink tap with a stretch'y hose (pull-out spray head) that he put out the window into a modified toilet tent = shower (y)

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Could you not fit an external shower point on your van if you have a gas water heater in it just fit a Bullfinch external fitting.(y)
Exactly...... stand in the toilet tent (not in the porta potty though) and water the grass!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I recall a shower head placed on the end of a garden spray. Seemed like a good idea for reducing the water used and increasing pressure but I never tried it. Just heat up a few litres to fill the container.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
How about a bucket of hot / warm water from your van and one of these ??

I know the wife bought something similar back in the summer with the idea of washing her hair out in the awning after seeing her cousin using one. BUT not used it as yet,, :doh:

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Some great ideas guys, I hadn't thought of using a solar shower with hot water, later in the day shower isn't on, after all, got to get the make up on , doing it twice, make up I mean, is too much, even for me lol . I'll check out all the links

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have an integral gas stove and have a couple of stand alone stoves , so heating the water isn't a problem, I've seen a Hozelock porta shower on the net that looked interesting, but I thought I'd ask you first as you have a lot of knowledge

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I have an integral gas stove and have a couple of stand alone stoves , so heating the water isn't a problem, I've seen a Hozelock porta shower on the net that looked interesting, but I thought I'd ask you first as you have a lot of knowledge

I use the Porta Shower at home and away - not for me I hasten to add. We have 2 dogs and it’s great for showering them down after muddy walks. I fill it with hot water, leave it outside for our return and it’s at just the right temperature to clean them up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forget solar showers, the shower heads on them are pathetic ... really they are ... we have one for heating up hot water to wash-up with and no-way on earth would I want to try to shower with it!

The 'best' portable option, if you can't change your camper's existing kitchen tap for a pull out hose one, is the universal portable one which you can use anywhere so aren't restricted to having it close to the camper especially if you get the one which has a battery case too so can be run from 12v or batteries (or you could make a 12v extension for the lead) - we have one and it's got a good enough 'flow' to shower with - not used it like this ourselves but could easily do so.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I never had a shower till I was thirteen and that was local swimming baths

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have a very good shower in our motorhome however, we also have one of the 12 volt showers. We like it for a couple of reasons, firstly it has a switch in the rose to turn on and off with the lathering and rinsing method, secondly, when camped next to a clean water source, ie lakes in Scandinavia, we heat the water on the campfire, put the right temp. water into a plastic container and take this into our shower cubicle and use with the 12 volt shower, this saves us putting lake water in our tank.

If you want you can set the shower up inside the van, look up on YouTube for makeshift showers in campers using a plastic tub.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I find a strip whas dose the job and use micro fibre clothes and towels
Works for us.
We have fore face clothes sewn together it works fine
Bill

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Showering, showering, what is that, never heard of it, strange custom.:rofl:

But for those who want to save water and not have to fiddle with the taps to get the mix right, use one of these, thoroughly recommended. It’s better than most of its ilk in that it has a likkle leaver which is great when your hands are wet and soapy, not that I know what that’s like.

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have resorted to a strip down wash and shampoo in my utility tent, I was desperate at the time and would have killed for access to a shower , still , it did the trick , although getting shampoo out of my hair was a little tricky

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
How about a bucket of hot / warm water from your van and one of these ??

I know the wife bought something similar back in the summer with the idea of washing her hair out in the awning after seeing her cousin using one. BUT not used it as yet,, :doh:

i can recommend these as it actually works with a decent flow of water, whilst restoring my last van we had to go to race circuits with a non functioning shower and i filled the kitchen sink with suitable temp water and then run the 12v shower from that with the shower head suckered to the kitchen window (we had a residence room up) and stood on a normal shower duckboard

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
There are a few solutions listed above , whichever you choose make sure you have the younger than you option fitted. As I'm 65 , a lady of 30 /40 to wash the bits I can't reach:D. Before you know it you'll be showering three times a day and be the most fragrant person on the site.
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back