best ideas for a camping shower

MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Happy New Year to to all, I hope I can pick your brains ? I have a campervan rather than a motorhome, so I have no room for a shower.
I'm going to a lot of rallies that only have basic facilities, I bought a toilet tent from one of our tablets top sales that I haven't tried yet , what could you reccomend? I'm not into solar ones as I like a shower first thing and I have gas to heat water

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Homeless
Exp
Since 2005
How about a solar shower bag and hose but fill it with hot water.
Easily rolled up for storage.
You could even fill with cold after your shower then leave in the sun so you have hot, well warmish, water last thing at night for washing or doing pots etc.

Eggs

Funster
Happy New Year to to all, I hope I can pick your brains ? I have a campervan rather than a motorhome, so I have no room for a shower.
I'm going to a lot of rallies that only have basic facilities, I bought a toilet tent from one of our tablets top sales that I haven't tried yet , what could you reccomend? I'm not into solar ones as I like a shower first thing and I have gas to heat water
Could you not still use a solar shower and fill it up with hot water from your camper?

Reallyretired

Funster
MH
A Class
Exp
33 years
I like a shower first thing when I get up, but I have a shower in my MH. If I needed to heat up water and go out to a toilet tent to use it I think I would just stink for a few days on a rally, or be like Granny Weatherwax and just wash all the bits, as and when they become available. (Warning Pratchett reference)

the1andonly

Funster
MH
Rapido 604ff & Bongone
[QUOTE=" I have gas to heat water[/QUOTE]
Do you mean a source of hot water or a gas stove?
If stove :
In the dim and distant we used a 7l saucepan to boil water addto cold in a 25l plastic container mixto about 40 Celsius or centigrade (a fish tank thermometer will do)
Nowa days 12v shower pumps are available, but may not last @ 40+, i used to use a whale pump.

Speve

Funster
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Could you not fit an external shower point on your van if you have a gas water heater in it just fit a Bullfinch external fitting.(y)

Eggs

Funster
[QUOTE=" I have gas to heat water
Do you mean a source of hot water or a gas stove?
If stove :
In the dim and distant we used a 7l saucepan to boil water addto cold in a 25l plastic container mixto about 40 Celsius or centigrade (a fish tank thermometer will do)
Nowa days 12v shower pumps are available, but may not last @ 40+, i used to use a whale pump.[/QUOTE]

There is no need to not have a shower, just change your ways when needed. I like to shower in the morning, but because I'm overwintering on a CS with an unheated shed for a shower toilet block I'm showering in the afternoon when the sheds warmed up bit.

Enword

Funster
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
My mate had a race van with no shower, he had a sink tap with a stretch'y hose (pull-out spray head) that he put out the window into a modified toilet tent = shower (y)

Last edited:

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales
MH
Autotrail
Exp
https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/solar-shower-20-litre.html

Solar Shower (20 Litre)
Ideal for camping, backpacking, trekking and boating, this lightweight 20L solar shower means you don't have to go without when it comes to hot water.

Capable of temperatures of up to 41 degrees Celsius based on 3 hours in 21 degree sunny conditions.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A Class Le Voyageur
Exp
since 2008
Could you not fit an external shower point on your van if you have a gas water heater in it just fit a Bullfinch external fitting.(y)
Exactly...... stand in the toilet tent (not in the porta potty though) and water the grass!

two

Funster
MH
A-Class Fiat
I recall a shower head placed on the end of a garden spray. Seemed like a good idea for reducing the water used and increasing pressure but I never tried it. Just heat up a few litres to fill the container.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 2000
OP
patricia the newbie
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Some great ideas guys, I hadn't thought of using a solar shower with hot water, later in the day shower isn't on, after all, got to get the make up on , doing it twice, make up I mean, is too much, even for me lol . I'll check out all the links

OP
patricia the newbie
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have an integral gas stove and have a couple of stand alone stoves , so heating the water isn't a problem, I've seen a Hozelock porta shower on the net that looked interesting, but I thought I'd ask you first as you have a lot of knowledge

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I have an integral gas stove and have a couple of stand alone stoves , so heating the water isn't a problem, I've seen a Hozelock porta shower on the net that looked interesting, but I thought I'd ask you first as you have a lot of knowledge

I use the Porta Shower at home and away - not for me I hasten to add. We have 2 dogs and it’s great for showering them down after muddy walks. I fill it with hot water, leave it outside for our return and it’s at just the right temperature to clean them up.

Minxy Girl

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 1996
Forget solar showers, the shower heads on them are pathetic ... really they are ... we have one for heating up hot water to wash-up with and no-way on earth would I want to try to shower with it!

The 'best' portable option, if you can't change your camper's existing kitchen tap for a pull out hose one, is the universal portable one which you can use anywhere so aren't restricted to having it close to the camper especially if you get the one which has a battery case too so can be run from 12v or batteries (or you could make a 12v extension for the lead) - we have one and it's got a good enough 'flow' to shower with - not used it like this ourselves but could easily do so.

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services