Benefits of an Alko Chassis (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I overtook a new motorhome today on the M25, cant remember what it was possibly a Bessacarr but it had a distinct low profile to the road look and a certain solid suspension which is the distinct Alko look.
I've had Alko chassis's and had good results from them. What are the other benefits of this purpose built chassis that gives a nice low floor and entry position.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the weight saving and the wider track of the rear wheels give better stability. also better space foe water tanks and gas tanks between the frame rails

as mentioned the lower centre of gravity is better for road holding

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wider wheelbase makes it more stable in cross winds.

Galvanised, so no rusting.

Double floor with fresh and grey tanks housed between floors, which can be heated to prevent freezing, all this with with same overall height as coachbuilt using the Fiat Maxi chassis ..

Between floor storage accessed from side locker doors..

Provides excellent insulation for habitation floor.

Note:
ALKO with double floor on all Fiat Hymer B class models from 2000, 2001 (Not B class Classic)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It surprises me that when discussions on which motorhomes and which layout we never see a single mention of the Alko chassis. They drive exceptionally well, the floor is the same level as the cab floor, the entry step is lower, maintenance is simple. As you say they are galvanized to.
I must say that I have lost track of coach builds in resent years having moved down the size requirement but seeing this van today brought it all back....they have that look about them...(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It surprises me that when discussions on which motorhomes and which layout we never see a single mention of the Alko chassis. They drive exceptionally well, the floor is the same level as the cab floor, the entry step is lower, maintenance is simple. As you say they are galvanized to.
I must say that I have lost track of coach builds in resent years having moved down the size requirement but seeing this van today brought it all back....they have that look about them...(y)

yes indeed buttons, , (y).

the Hymer B class with ALKO chassis with double floor and PUAL build system is first class. It is certainly the best van I have ever owned.. and I've had quite a few.

Mine is a 2001 B644 G model and in fantastic condition. The coachwork and chassis is as good as the day it left the factory in Bad Waldsee.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
yes indeed buttons, , (y).

the Hymer B class with ALKO chassis with double floor and PUAL build system is first class. It is certainly the best van I have ever owned.. and I've had quite a few.

Mine is a 2001 B644 G model and in fantastic condition. The coachwork and chassis is as good as the day it left the factory in Bad Waldsee.

Yes nice chassis and Hymer nice vans from that era, I have lost count of the number of ones I have looked at with rotten floors though, I have looked at loads of Hymers recently from 1997-2008, amazing how many had rotten floors, sticking my thumb straight through,water down my sleeve etc. I have now gone off used Hymers and am back to looking at panel vans, much safer. They should have at least fitted rear mudflaps on ALL models due to the cheapo floor.

Good vans but they used cheap 2 bit floors covered by cheap 2 bit underseal, why on earth didn't they use GRP like Niesmann or Frankia etc I will never know.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes nice chassis and Hymer nice vans from that era, I have lost count of the number of ones I have looked at with rotten floors

Yes, that is a weakness, I found a small patch behind the offside rear wheel, (think I did a post about it) fortunately it was repairable. The rest of it is in good condition.. I believe later models have a GRP outer floor, not sure what year they changed..

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Got a Euramobil A class on an Alko, tag axle, loads of storage under the floor, nice wide track at the rear keeps it stable, good in side winds, and extra axle helps with load distribution.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, that is a weakness, I found a small patch behind the offside rear wheel, (think I did a post about it) fortunately it was repairable. The rest of it is in good condition.. I believe later models have a GRP outer floor, not sure what year they changed..

Certainly not before 2008 Jim, I looked at a 2008 model a few weeks ago and that was just starting to rot in one area.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our first Hymer was a low Profile Tramp SL on the Fiat camping car chassis, that has a low stance, too low ripped the bottom out of the gas bottle locker. It had a wider track rear axle, handling was superb but fairly harsh ride. Last van was an Exsis single floor but Al-Ko chassis handling similar but softer ride, new van Dynamic Line Maxi chassis double floor on Al-Ko not driven it far but so far not much different to the Exsis.
I know there have been a few reports of floor problems with Hymer normally the garage and behind the real wheel but I don't think it is that many when you consider Hymer sell more vans than any other manufacturer in Europe. Do wonder why there are problems as they use marine ply, our Tramp had the wood floor, had it 6 years no problems at all. 2011-2012 was the change over to GRP floors our Exsis had one and the new van has.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our first Hymer was a low Profile Tramp SL on the Fiat camping car chassis, that has a low stance, too low ripped the bottom out of the gas bottle locker. It had a wider track rear axle, handling was superb but fairly harsh ride. Last van was an Exsis single floor but Al-Ko chassis handling similar but softer ride, new van Dynamic Line Maxi chassis double floor on Al-Ko not driven it far but so far not much different to the Exsis.
I know there have been a few reports of floor problems with Hymer normally the garage and behind the real wheel but I don't think it is that many when you consider Hymer sell more vans than any other manufacturer in Europe. Do wonder why there are problems as they use marine ply, our Tramp had the wood floor, had it 6 years no problems at all. 2011-2012 was the change over to GRP floors our Exsis had one and the new van has.

I,m not so sure Lenny. I think its a big problem, had people saying''Mine is fine'' before viewing a van, when you get there, er no its not fine, have a look under here.
A bit of a case of out of site out of mind. Even one dealer who I shall not name as he has a good reputation on here, 5 Hymers he had, all of them had rotten floors, one was shocking and advertised as ''The underside is as good as the day if left the factory''. Good god, it had a big piece of plastic stuck over the rotten area.

I pointed it out to and he said he didn't know, he then shocked me by saying he was selling it like that and there was no price reduction. I have checked and the van has now sold, this was only 4 weeks ago. I checked another out at a well known dealer last week and that is rotten, a piece of ply stuck over the rotten area. Most of them I have looked under upto 2006 have had some degree of rot.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Well that gives Briuish manufactured MH s a rest on the gripes about build quality !

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The negatives are, The torsion bars are more likely to snap if not greased correctly, The replacement parts are very expensive and not many garages know how to service or repair them.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
My coach-built has a two level Floor?. I think only "A" class have the one level of floor, as far as I have seen anyway.
In my A class, the floor is the same level as the cab, but there is a step up into the kitchen and rear, in the Coach built it was the same level all though in the back, with a step into the cab. Having lived with the coach built , i wanted the space of the A class cab.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I,m not so sure Lenny. I think its a big problem, had people saying''Mine is fine'' before viewing a van, when you get there, er no its not fine, have a look under here.
A bit of a case of out of site out of mind. Even one dealer who I shall not name as he has a good reputation on here, 5 Hymers he had, all of them had rotten floors, one was shocking and advertised as ''The underside is as good as the day if left the factory''. Good god, it had a big piece of plastic stuck over the rotten area.

I pointed it out to and he said he didn't know, he then shocked me by saying he was selling it like that and there was no price reduction. I have checked and the van has now sold, this was only 4 weeks ago. I checked another out at a well known dealer last week and that is rotten, a piece of ply stuck over the rotten area. Most of them I have looked under upto 2006 have had some degree of rot.
Not a problem that comes up very often in the Hymer club I would have thought if it was a big problem it would be mentioned more often. You are talking about vans over 11 years old, this sort of problem is common British built vans only a couple of years old. I must a admit my experience with Hymer's only started in 2008 and we have only brought new ones.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In my A class, the floor is the same level as the cab, but there is a step up into the kitchen and rear, in the Coach built it was the same level all though in the back, with a step into the cab. Having lived with the coach built , i wanted the space of the A class cab.

I have been in an A class (Rapido) which had a complete level floor front to rear. But have not experienced that in any Coach Built I have seen. It was one of the things I was concerned about as SWMBO has mobility issues, Trips and falls are not needed!, So far we have avoided same!. All 3 R-V`s where flat front to rear. BUT needed 3 steps to entry.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017

And there I was,a newbie looking to buy soon,thinking Hymer were pretty wonderful motorhomes all round. Now you're saying many will have rotten floors!
Already been put off some UK motorhomes due to many reports of damp,even in quite new ones.
Maybe a naive question..... how do you check the floor is not rotten....get underneath and poke it with a screwdriver? Or is it more obvious than that.
So much for dealers......are there really any that you can trust?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My B544 on Alco has a level double floor throughout.
Only problem I find is it can be affected by excessive tramlines .

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Agree with Larrynwin regarding the tramlining.
Quite a difference in track width between front and rear and on HGV worn roads the front and rear wheels can be fighting to be in the trough.
This can set up a bit of a wobble that can feel like you may have flat tyre.
One the reasons I'm so glad I have Tyrepal fitted.
Quite happy to put up with the tramlining for the other benefits and level ride. Think I wasted money on ramps as we never appear to need them.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My B544 on Alco has a level double floor throughout.
Only problem I find is it can be affected by excessive tramlines .
Now I'm even more confused....aren't you meant to keep off the rails and use the roads? Sorry!;)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
For my money, unless its obviously been abused, I think a second hand Hymer is a pretty safe bet.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I've had two motorhomes with a Fiat wide (rear) track camping chassis, a 2011 Autotrail and a 2013 Autotrail.

Next I had a 2012 Hymer with a wide track Alko chassis. Couldn't believe the difference in road noise when I first drove the Hymer; it was much quieter than the Autotrails. Could never decide if it was because of the Alko, the double floored Hymer or the Michelin tyres as against Continentals on the Autotrails.

Ride wise, I think the Alko chassis is a more stable ride and not quite as harsh as the leaf spring Fiat chassis. Also seems less affected by HGVs on the motorway.

Current motorhome is a Carthago on an Alko chassis and seems quieter than the Hymer with less body roll on roundabouts etc.

Mike

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I have been in an A class (Rapido) which had a complete level floor front to rear. But have not experienced that in any Coach Built I have seen. It was one of the things I was concerned about as SWMBO has mobility issues, Trips and falls are not needed!, So far we have avoided same!. All 3 R-V`s where flat front to rear. BUT needed 3 steps to entry.

It was a concern of mine too, wife has no mobility issues , but is a clumsy cow... we have one external and one internal step, to lounge level, , and one about 4in into the rear. The underfloor storage is great because i can carry stuff i dont need to get at , out of the way ,all the emergency stuff is readily accessible, but stuff like strip lights , EZ-UP sides , and the like can get buried .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Tram-lining" is only a reflection of the fact that "the powers that be" have given little or no priority to regular road maintenance. Preferring to spend the money on "Foreign Aid" or "jolly Jaunts to sunny parts"!!.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years

Our Apache 700 ( 2015 ) has a level floor , it’s on a fiat chassis and there are three steps to get in , two on the folding bit and one inside

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back