Beautiful Mercedes Autotrail ruined, words fail me (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm rarely stuck for words but this Merc popped up on Gumtree.
Some DIY fiend has butchered the interior to such a tune that I doubt if it could be rescued?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
How precious do you ned to be to be incensed by some seat fabric change that wasn't production line fitted.
It's not like it's even in a gaudy colour scheme!!
Get a grip ya soft lad, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a truly boring place.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Whats wrong with it, where do I begin?

Its the rather crude painting of the lower cupboards, the addition of tacky chrome strips all over the place, the kitchen has had an explosion of grey paint up to & including the worktops.
The toilet, same grey paint all over the place & pictures on the wall, really!
The upholstery isn't nice but looked forgivable up til you read the description, refoamed & retrimmed, what happened to the sprung seating that Autotrail excel in, yuk!!!
All of that is before we get to the outside, the repainted cab looks like Stevie Wonder did it with a water pistol.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, I suspect this motorhome would look even worse in the flesh.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Each to their own. Can't see anything wrong with it personally.

But then I have 8 large native Indian graphics on mine and love it. I didn't choose them and some may think they look awful....... As it happens my late father was a cowboy film addict and we like to think he helped us find "Moki" ....... And I have to say I like it when a MH looks different to the production line clones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Ah, I see what you’re trying to do - using some of those voodoo mind tricks and reverse psychology on us to get us to buy your mates MoHo!

Well I’m sorry, lovely though it is I’m NOT going to buy it; but it is nice and I’m going to use some of those design inspirations to personalise my own MoHo in a similar manner ?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
What saddens me most is that the van is registered 2007 and has only covered 28598 miles divided by 12 years = only 2383 miles a year, what a waste of money.
So often I see SH vans up for sale with extremely low mileages, mostly 1/2/3 year old ones and think to myself...did you actually use it?, or was the van back at the dealership awaiting repairs during that time.
A fellow funster said to me on one occasion if you are not doing 9K a year in any van then you are wasting your money!
I dont know, horses for courses and all that, but I think he has a point.

Les

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
what.... WHAT!!!

You gonna have a pop of my interior design now????

Whats wrong with it?

1566095681473.png

My CUSTOM exterior, ( I call it stealth living, it blends in with the forest. Anyone got a damp meter?)

1566095796271.png

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What saddens me most is that the van is registered 2007 and has only covered 28598 miles divided by 12 years = only 2383 miles a year, what a waste of money.
So often I see SH vans up for sale with extremely low mileages, mostly 1/2/3 year old ones and think to myself...did you actually use it?, or was the van back at the dealership awaiting repairs during that time.
A fellow funster said to me on one occasion if you are not doing 9K a year in any van then you are wasting your money!
I dont know, horses for courses and all that, but I think he has a point.

Les

You have to remember though that not everyone with a van is retired and can manage anywhere near 9000 a year.
We are both working and do about half that, still enjoy getting away in it at least once a month though, currently down ShropshireGloucester for 10 days in it, from Durham.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just taking the pictures off the walls and the things that are hanging down, oh yes and the odd ornament or two before I post pictures up. :giggle:

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You have to remember though that not everyone with a van is retired and can manage anywhere near 9000 a year.
We are both working and do about half that, still enjoy getting away in it at least once a month though, currently down ShropshireGloucester for 10 days in it, from Durham.

We are in similar position and we have had some great weekends away with relatively few miles ... living in Scotland we have loads of lovely places to explore which don’t require miles of driving (though sometimes they do take a while to get there of on single track roads).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ah, I see what you’re trying to do - using some of those voodoo mind tricks and reverse psychology on us to get us to buy your mates MoHo!

Well I’m sorry, lovely though it is I’m NOT going to buy it; but it is nice and I’m going to use some of those design inspirations to personalise my own MoHo in a similar manner ?
I think you may have hit on something there, just getting it to a wider audience :unsure: (y):)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Horses for courses!
At least it’s clean & tidy, would get rid of pictures and the kids with their fun(ny) faces, otherwise it’s better than some.
We met a young couple a few years ago in France, they had an older B584 than ours and they came in for a chat.
In conversation I said the net curtains were handy on an Aire when you were quite close to a neighbour, she said they were the first thing they took out and threw away! Then she went on to say she didn’t like the fact that the plastics (round doors & windows) had discoloured and was going to do ‘something’ with them like decoupage! She had several other ‘ideas’ for the poor van interior, up to that point it was old but original!
It’s a good job we are all different with different ideas!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
People often modernise and update their homes. Some do it well, others do not. Sometimes I like the chosen style, other times I do not. I don’t see why a motorhome owner should not do the same thing. If they get it wrong it may make it more difficult to sell, if they do it well they might get more for it. Their choice.

When we took delivery of out previous motorhome the first thing we did was remove the net curtains because we don’t like them. We will do the same with our new one. It is just a matter of taste.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back