Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Get not mixing different battery types but is it ok to mix sealed and vented lead acid? Same size, age, different brand ok?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Yes crack on, same chemistry / voltage. ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Fab compartment has space for four batteries but two on outside edges tuck under the flooring so not enough access to top up hence sealed, just saved hours of work so thanks all

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
Just make sure all batteries are the same age. Once one starts to die it will drag the rest down with it. You can get round this by isolating each one but it's a lot of hassle.

Sep 10, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware s
Exp
Since 2015
If 2 or more batteries are connected to same charger they must be same age ,same amp hour same type i.e. Lead,gel,what ever. That is because they need to be charged at same rate from charger as if there one battery. mix them up and they won't charge up to full capacity

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
If 2 or more batteries are connected to same charger they must be same age ,same amp hour same type i.e. Lead,gel,what ever. That is because they need to be charged at same rate from charger as if there one battery. mix them up and they won't charge up to full capacity
when you connect more than one battery together they BECOME one battery..
Just like the six cells that actually make up what we know as one 12v battery..
Any discrepancy in charge level will bleed off from the charged one to the flat one until they balance..
A charger will do EXACTLY the same, the charge will go to the flat cells if the charged one is err charged..
It's just voltage potential (difference).
You supply a higher voltage to something flat and those little old electrons (current) will trundle off to fill the flat one (with a little shove as there is some resistance in the makeup and it requires slightly higher voltage to get the electrons to move) until what's coming out of the charger equals what's in the battery and flow of electrons stops. i.e It's charged.
You cannot really over charge one or under charge the other if they are different sizes, Just that the small one will be charged before the bigger one. You won't over charge the smaller one (in the time it takes to fully charge the bigger one) as the charger will still be outputting the same voltage whether it's flat or not, simply no current will flow to it as the voltage potential has leveled out to a point electrons stop flowing (i.e both the charger and the battery are the same. Curent will continue to flow to the larger "not yet charged" one until that is then also charged.
The only time you'd over charge a lead acid is if you left it on 14+ volts for longer periods.
In fact some time time at 14 + volts will HELP lead acids as this is what equalisation is..
But for all intents and purposes, having two (of the same chemistry) battery types but of differing sizes in a Motorhome in the way in which they get charged by solar / EHU / Alternator will not make a shit of difference.

You are however totally correct in saying you shouldn't mix chemistry types, and the reason for this is Gels have a LOWER fully charge state than a lead acid so you CAN over charge these if mixed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
thats incorrect any sizes can be put together, charger just sees them as one battery

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
The charger will see different capacity batteries, linked together in parallel, as one battery. However, this means that neither battery will be charged correctly. The smaller capacity battery will be overcharged (not recommended) and the larger capacity battery will be undercharged.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The charger will see different capacity batteries, linked together in parallel, as one battery. However, this means that neither battery will be charged correctly. The smaller capacity battery will be overcharged (not recommended) and the larger capacity battery will be undercharged.
Why?
The two batteries will balance each other out, even off charge.
Both will be charged to the same state.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
A charger does not and cannot see the capacity / size of the battery.
All a charger sees is voltage. Either flat or not flat. It's that simple.

Sep 10, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware s
Exp
Since 2015
thats incorrect any sizes can be put together, charger just sees them as one battery
No they don't as somebody else has said one will be overcharged and one over charged why do you think they bother putting capacitys on batteries in first place

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Its like educating pork on this forum sometimes what with batteries and climate change posts?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Its like educating pork on this forum sometimes what with batteries and climate change posts?
I think you could have put that a little differently. The reason it sometimes seems hard work to get a message across is that many members see conflicting advice from so called expert professionals and their websites and it becomes hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. The positive side to that is that it promotes healthy debate and ultimately an increase in knowledge.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I could have worded that better. ? obviously got out of the wrong side of bed this morning ??

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well most vans are running around with a lead acid battery in Parallel with who knows what, when the engine is running, and have done for decades :giggler:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best practice for best performance if and old battery starts to fail connected to a new battery in parallel it won't charge properly so u don't get a good out
That wasn't what I queried.
Why do they need to be the same capacity, as I outlined in red in my original question.

If 2 or more batteries are connected to same charger they must be same age ,same amp hour

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I think you could have put that a little differently. The reason it sometimes seems hard work to get a message across is that many members see conflicting advice from so called expert professionals and their websites and it becomes hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. The positive side to that is that it promotes healthy debate and ultimately an increase in knowledge.

We need negative side too or the whole thing won't work ? ? ?

Sep 10, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware s
Exp
Since 2015
That wasn't what I queried.
Why do they need to be the same capacity, as I outlined in red in my original question.
[
So the all the individual cells of 2 volts charge at same rate and discharge at same rate, larger amp batteries have bigger cells of 2 volts and smaller amp batteries have smaller cells of 2 volts as an example if u got a small can and a large can both filled with water to the top and the same size hole drilled in bottom which can do u think would empty first?
So if both cans were the same size ,same size hole drilled in bottom filled to the top they would both empty at same rate and recharge at same rate which is better for the charger ,don't get me wrong you can have a small battery and larger battery it will still work ok but not best practice when your trying to get the best from discharging and charging in my experience hope this helps

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
They don't though because of simple manufacturing tolerances, ALL battery cells are not equal. As Eddy mentioned, there have been starter batteries linked to "god knows what" since campervans have been invented.

Sep 10, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware s
Exp
Since 2015
They don't though because of simple manufacturing tolerances, ALL battery cells are not equal. As Eddy mentioned, there have been starter batteries linked to "god knows what" since campervans have been invented.
It’s just best practice if u can use the same size but when in the desert u use anything !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back