BATTERY MASTER (1 Viewer)

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
Thinking of buying a Vanbitz battery master , are they as easy to fit as the advert says , and do they work ok , and is there a discount code if so where do I find it , thanks

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
yes and yes. discount code is your funster membership number I think

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Yes, very easy to fit.

I bought mine through MHF shop, which was the best price at the time.

Invaluable bit of kit and just works!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Yes, very easy to fit.

I bought mine through MHF shop, which was the best price at the time.

Invaluable bit of kit and just works!
I didn't know there was a shop, where is it please?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My MH stood since end of September in a compound with solar panel defaulting to leisure batteries. On Saturday it fired up with fully charged vehicle battery thanks to Battery Master 👍

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
are they as easy to fit as the advert says
Yes. In theory you can run a separate wire from the starter and leisure batteries. However it's a low-current device, and there's already heavy-duty wires going from both batteries to the split charge relay or B2B, so often it's just wired into those.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
yes and yes. discount code is your funster membership number I think
No to be honest we have a rubbish website, and the only thing that we offer on line is the Battery Master, and there is no ability to use the subscriber discount code. So to buy from us and use the subscriber discount code you have to phone the office.

As we are closed due to HM Governments lockdown no one can even do that lol

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I purchased my Vanbitz battery master from Johns cross Motorhomes online and got the Motorhome fun discount which covered the postage.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I assume the OP realises that a Battery Master is only really useful if:

1) a solar panel is installed and only powering leisure battery
2) mains charger only charges leisure battery (most charge both leisure & starter battery)

In these scenarios the BM will provide a trickle charge to the starter battery.

If no solar is installed and operating off-grid, the BM will discharge the leisure battery to trickle charge the starter battery providing the difference in potential is greater than about 0.5v.

So, basically, solar essential in most circumstances.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Here are some other sources for purchase if Eddie is unable to help at the moment.

<Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

2) mains charger only charges leisure battery (most charge both leisure & starter battery)

If no solar is installed and operating off-grid, the BM will discharge the leisure battery to trickle charge the starter battery providing the difference in potential is greater than about 0.5v.

So, basically, solar essential in most circumstances.
No it will extend the time you can leave a motorhome and expect it to start as it will "share" the quiescent drain on the engine battery with the leisure battery.

That is obviously not open ended, but it will gain you potentially another two or three weeks without hassle

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Didn't know you could get Covid from a phone line Eddie!
I'm sure you could sell on a mail order only basis without treading on governments toes.....after all, eBay and Amazon are still thriving.
No you misunderstand.

Van Bitz is closed, so no one to answer the phones if anyone phones up to buy a Battery Master and ask for the Funsters discount

If anyone orders one on line, its a bit more automated, but there isn't a discount facility as to be honest Fun is the only club we give discount to.

We used to have a discount code box but every bugger used to phone up and whine that they wanted a "discount code" and we only sell a handful a year online to Funsters, so easier to get them to phone up and loose the "discount code" box on line

Been open 30 years and never had a Pandemic before lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
GROMIT69
Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks all , ordered through Jims shop , took two or three attempts to get in , and crashed a couple of times, but we got there in the end

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Thanks all , ordered through Jims shop , took two or three attempts to get in , and crashed a couple of times, but we got there in the end
Be great to know how you get on. I'm considering fitting one too as a solution to my dead Vehicle battery when everything is shut down for storage (I know there is a limited amount of sun for the solar over winter).

I'm considering this as my Auto-Sleepers manual says of the EC500 to put it in "shutdown" if leaving for long periods but, whilst not quite the contradiction, then says, "The EC500 PSU incorporates a built-in solar charge management feature, which will control the input from a solar panel (when fitted, maximum rating 120W). Depending on the charge state of the batteries, the solar power will be directed to the required battery, and continuously monitored to ensure optimum operation. For this system to operate intelligently, the shutdown button should be left switched on. If the shutdown button is turned off then the solar panel will charge the leisure battery only."

So my thinking is to put the EC500 in shutdown and use a battery master to feed the vehicle battery, however, is the EC500 going to stop when the leisure battery gets to optimum and so won't provide a charge and hence nothing to flow past it to the battery master?

Also, what would a B2B achieve in this scenario? B2B is the reverse is it not, in that it uses the alternator to charge the leisure battery?

Sorry, bit of a thread hijack there ;)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I ordered one and fitted it last week. (online doesnt take discount codes as Eddie said ) but not too arsed, its worth the money anyway.
We are all trying to make a living.

Anyway works a treat, fits easy. (ignore the first pic in the thread below)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Be great to know how you get on. I'm considering fitting one too as a solution to my dead Vehicle battery when everything is shut down for storage (I know there is a limited amount of sun for the solar over winter).

I'm considering this as my Auto-Sleepers manual says of the EC500 to put it in "shutdown" if leaving for long periods but, whilst not quite the contradiction, then says, "The EC500 PSU incorporates a built-in solar charge management feature, which will control the input from a solar panel (when fitted, maximum rating 120W). Depending on the charge state of the batteries, the solar power will be directed to the required battery, and continuously monitored to ensure optimum operation. For this system to operate intelligently, the shutdown button should be left switched on. If the shutdown button is turned off then the solar panel will charge the leisure battery only."

So my thinking is to put the EC500 in shutdown and use a battery master to feed the vehicle battery, however, is the EC500 going to stop when the leisure battery gets to optimum and so won't provide a charge and hence nothing to flow past it to the battery master?

Also, what would a B2B achieve in this scenario? B2B is the reverse is it not, in that it uses the alternator to charge the leisure battery?

Sorry, bit of a thread hijack there ;)
no, as long as your leaisure battery is higher than the cab, it will drip a charge to it, then your solar will replace the leisure as needed

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have the EC 500. If you leave on it will
need some power to keep going but will charge either battery if in smart mode.
ok if on EHU. But if only solar then :
Turn off completely and solar defaults to leisure battery.
Battery master will do the rest👍
See my post #6

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Some other brands of battery maintainer have a voltage threshold, and won't charge the starter battery unless the leisure battery is being actively charged by the solar. The BatteryMaster doesn't have a voltage threshold, it works whenever the starter battery is a fixed amount below the leisure battery.
A split charge relay connects a second battery to the starter battery, and the alternator charges both as if they were one big battery. That's OK if the second battery is the same type as the starter battery. If it isn't, or you want to boost the charging higher than the alternator normally does, then a proper battery charger, taking its power from the alternator, is what's needed. That's what a B2B is.

There's no reason why a battery maintainer circuit couldn't be built into a B2B, but I don't know of any designed like that.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
So Eddivanbitz if my Van Bitz alarm/immobiliser goes on strike have you a back up whereby someone can sort the problem out, like we had an Alfa Romeo brought in a few days ago with as many lights on the dash lit up it put Blackpool in the shade.
Our techi guy said something like, f————— Italian electrics, phone the RAC ! We called in an auto electrician we have used before, who at the time was at another emergency, an hour after he eventually arrived he had the lights restored and it was the immobiliser had failed to recognise something in its system.

Just wondering !

BernieT

westfielder

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
Lechlade
Funster No
MH
McLouis 331
Exp
2016 Onwards

On EHU both batteries are charged. On Solar, just the leisure batteriy. Are you saying that thios would not work to charge both on Solar?? Thanks

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
westfielder If your solar is only charging your leisure battery at the moment , adding a Vanbitz battery master will enable the starter battery to be trickle charged as well , from the leisure battery , when solar is charging .
They are easy to fit and If you decide you want one they can be found in the Motorhome Fun shop that can be found in the blue section at the bottom of this page. (and elsewhere) , the Vanbitz website describes its operation very well if needed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back