Battery charger buzzing (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I am now on ehu for the 1st time in few days and I have noticed the battery charger is buzzing yet the batteries are reading full

Its a 2019 carthago not noticed it before does this sound right is it a smart charge system so will stop charging once it knows the hab batteries are full

I have turned it off for now with the on off switch should I turn it back on and wait for it to do it's own thing

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Our does have a slight "buzz" when on hook up. It is not very noticeable as the equipment is in the garage so I only hear it if I open the door.
Not too sure whether it is the charger though. I will investigate further and let you know.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
@Lazyboy sounds same as mine as mine is in the garage I've turned it off and buzzing has stopped

Not noticed it before and it will drive me mad when in bed later if it keeps buzzing as it's directly below my bed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Anything with a largish transformer in it can buzz if there are loose plates in the core. May need the transformer replacing.
Its a modern van.. Surely they are not STILL using transformers ? !

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
It has stopped buzzing now I think it must have been the fact it was working hard to charge the batteries as we have been off grid a couple of days now but very strange the panel showed the batteries were full but they must have still needed some more charge

Next job when home will be solar panel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What's a b2b
About four hundred quid :LOL:

It connects between starter and leisure batteries and tricks the alternator into outputting a high current but as the starter battery is already charged the hab battery receives the lot.
Under normal circumstances, as the engine battery reaches fully charged the alternators output reduces to a few amps as the battery doesn't need the current.
With a B2B fully charged from 50% in an hour or two instead of 12 or 15 hours by split charge.

Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Battery to battery charger which will put more into your leisure batteries when driving than just a trickle charge from your alternator.
From a laymans point of view it allows a greater charge to the leisure batteries because it over rides (fools) the alternator which will normally reduce the charge as the engine battery is charged fully. People on here like Lenny HB will give better information.

Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Pappajohn has explained quite simply. If you stop for a day or two without hook up and only drive for a couple of hours in between there is no way your leisure batteries would get back to full charge until on mains again. So several consecutive days off mains with short driving periods in between means your leisure batteries will be losing capacity running the risk of letting them go too low.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back