Kimd

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi, a little advice please. We have just purchased a Carthage A class. Have used on a couple of short outings no problems. But the battery has died. Can't find anything that has been left on, so thinking of changing the battery. Can't see how to get it out as it's quite far back in the engine compartment. And advice welcome . TIA

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If it's the habitation battery, doubt it will be in the engine compartment. Suspect the hab battery will either be located in the garage or in a side locker, or under the floor somewhere.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That's your starter (engine) battery.
The habitation battery bank is likely to be under the floor.
What model do you have?

OP
OP
K

Kimd

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
It's is the engine start battery, but not easy to get out by the looks of things. It's a Carthago Chic .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Make sure nothing is draining it that shouldn't be before condemning it.. . It may be knackered as well but you need to know.

OP
OP
K

Kimd

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I have disconnected the reversing camera as it's not very good and I don't use it. No alarm on etc. Have gone round and checked every light , socket etc. Have jump started it, driven round for a while. Stopped , then it still won't start.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Check your breakdown insurance. I had my starter battery changed on my drive by the AA, the guy had a selection of Yuasa batteries on his van, and one fitted the bill (ie cold cranking power and similar physical size).

PS - I did have to pay the AA for the battery by the way.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If the van had been standing for a while before you purchased it the battery could well have "died" - they don't like being left in a discharged state. A short run around won't really do much good, you need a lengthy charge, preferably with an "intelligent" charger to see if you can breathe life back into it, but this doesn't always work.

Personally I would just get it changed (any warranty from the seller?) so you know in future you're okay.

Do as Canopus says, or try Halfords; they'll change it for £3!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You don't want to buy a new one and end up in the same situation in 2 weeks though.

I would put a multimeter in line with it for an hour and see what's going out (if anything)

Or just chance it.. Might be ok :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you do it yourself Disconnect the EARTH first even if its practically impossibly to get at.
You WILL touch a spanner to earth doing the Pos first due to limited access.
Be as fast as you can as evidently some vans don't like being battery-less for more than 10 minutes or so, the electronics start playing up.

Only what I've read here.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
To get a starter battery out, you may need a bar and some straps. Use the bar to lift the battery out by wedging the far end on part of the vehicle thenligting the battery by using it as a lever. Use straps around the battery, if necessary (you'll need to keep them short).
It's not easy, working through the "letter-box" opening. I'm not religious, but it is Sunday and a prayer or three may help!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back