Bats (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would like to remind everyone that are currently demonising bats, and there a quite a few idiots emerging.

Bats did not cause Covid 19, Human behaviour caused it, habitat destruction, disgusting wildlife markets all fetch species closer together which would not normally interact

Killing of any bats is illegal and would ultimately make matters worse.

It's some humans that need culling, not wild, natural animals.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would like to remind everyone that are currently demonising bats, and there a quite a few idiots emerging.

Bats did not cause Covid 19, Human behaviour caused it, habitat destruction, disgusting wildlife markets all fetch species closer together which would not normally interact

Killing of any bats is illegal and would ultimately make matters worse.

It's some humans that need culling, not wild, natural animals.
That's still only theoretical and not proved. I'm not disagreeing but lets find the facts first before apportioning blame. It's too easy to say it's one cause whist the possible real cause goes undetected because everyone is happy to condemn one possible but yet unproven cause.
As regards your last paragraph, I think that's underway.
Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT condoning the wet markets at all but I'm saying don't automatically blame them and close your eyes and mind to other possible causes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That's still only theoretical and not proved. I'm not disagreeing but lets find the facts first before apportioning blame. It's too easy to say it's one cause whist the possible real cause goes undetected because everyone is happy to condemn one possible but yet unproven cause.
As regards your last paragraph, I think that's underway.
Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT condoning the wet markets at all but I'm saying don't automatically blame them and close your eyes and mind to other possible causes.

Yes agree but I am trying to get it out there there the message to idiots who thinking killing bats will help the situation that they are not to blame, even if the virus originated in them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have bats in our roof, but not all the time. It's used as a maternity roost. The females arrive to give birth, stay for a few months then leave. Almost all of them are Pipistrelles but occasionally we hear a different one. I use a cheap bat detector. They emerge just as it gets dark and over thirty are often seen from our BBQ area. :) They also emerge from the other side of the roof which is harder to observe so the total number is quite high. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes agree but I am trying to get it out there there the message to idiots who thinking killing bats will help the situation that they are not to blame, even if the virus originated in them.
Yes and whilst I agree with your sentiment and request, your final sentence wants to blame the bats for the virus and that is not proven.
There are a few theories around how it started and this is only one of them and whilst your message is to protect bats, it does appear you're happy that it's their fault
Personally, I've not heard of anyone demonising bats and I totally understand that it's illegal in this country but is it in China but there's me now suggesting it started by bats

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is a real top of the range bat detector with a price to match!

They do one for iOS too. It actually identifies the species and displays it on the phone's screen. It does this by analysing the frequency of the bat's clicks. Not every bat can be identified this way but most can. :)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What's she saying about them and is this just about your sister demonising bats?

She is saying she is going to get rid of them around her house, someone at work saying the same

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
She is saying she is going to get rid of them around her house, someone at work saying the same
See I don't have a problem with bats, in fact I like them but that just shows you that one person can influence others, much the same as blaming the wet markets for this terrible virus. Strangely enough, Chinese whispers

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I may have misunderstood him but I'm pretty sure that a pal said that to comply with some reg'n or other he had to add 'bat access tiles' to a barn he was re-roofing.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
See I don't have a problem with bats, in fact I like them but that just shows you that one person can influence others, much the same as blaming the wet markets for this terrible virus. Strangely enough, Chinese whispers

And I don't want Chinese whispers demonising them, that's 2 people today wanting rid of them, they will be telling others too.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's not your regular bat's that are the problem..... Its the cross bred veriety to blame.

Batman__circa_2016_.png

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I may have misunderstood him but I'm pretty sure that a pal said that to comply with some reg'n or other he had to add 'bat access tiles' to a barn he was re-roofing.
Sound logical if the re-roofing would close off their access. We are getting a little bit of roof repair done soon and the gaps they use are going to be left open. :)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I like watching our local bats (pipistrelle and daubenton's) hoovering up the insects in our garden on a warm summer evening.

Now, when one comes down the chimney, singes its backside on the fire, shoots out into the living room while you are watching a horror film in a strange Scottish cottage eight miles from the nearest road, then that's another story. Especially when, after the initial shock, you have to catch it in a cardboard box to release it into the night, all the while thinking about the fact that bat handlers need rabies innoculations.

On balance, I am a fan.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I like bats.
Very interesting creatures.
They sleep upside down, how cool is that.
Chester Zoo has a dimly lit LIVE bat cave, well worth a visit after lock down hopefully finishes............

If you know of a bat being maltreated there is someone you can call :-

batman.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
definitely
And I don't want Chinese whispers demonising them, that's 2 people today wanting rid of them, they will be telling others too.
You might want to point out to her that the fine is now unlimited & usually 5 figures.
Here's one from last yearhttps://www.bats.org.uk/news/2019/04/development-company-fined-18-000-for-destroying-a-bat-roost

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The last few evenings the bats have been flying around catching insects overhead
We often have problems with wasps, last year they started arriving and i'm sure we had the start of yet another nest but then I started seeing bats in the same area and the wasps disappeared , do bats feed on wasps?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We often have problems with wasps, last year they started arriving and i'm sure we had the start of yet another nest but then I started seeing bats in the same area and the wasps disappeared , do bats feed on wasps?
You can check by watching their facial expressions as they feed. :giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back