Ban on continental vans (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Just been reading some reviews on a site near Weston super mare and the owner was telling the van owner that some sites are thinking of banning continental vans due to the hab doors been face to face with uk vans , has anyone heard about this or is it just bull poo.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Why would it result in hab doors facing each other?

Ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It would be a very stupid owner to do that as many people have foreign manufactured MHs with the door on the UK offside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sounds like bull poo to me, if they are that hung up about what way the door faces just park the opposite way. Problem solved, mind you nothing would surprise me about some of the jumped up Adolfs that police the exact parking locations in UK sites šŸ˜‚
I had a row with one ā€œpark on the white pegā€ Adolf. Expected us to open the hab door into a hedge the dickhead.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Im pitched up this evening next to an LMC caravan with its door on the wrongside. Would all continental caravans be banned also?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It is true.

And I canā€™t remember where I saw it recently. But I was searching for a campsite and on one campsite website, it was clearly mentioned that they do not accept them. That is any caravan or motorhome with the Han door on the offside (uk right hand drivers side).

Iā€™ve had a lot of issues with our motorhome on uk sites for this reason. Where the sites are hedged, nobody usually bothers.

Iā€™ve just bought a caravan, a Hymer. I was so glad I could find one with a near side Habitation door.

That means I can use it in the uk and on the continent. Where I have never seen the issue.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Morris sites insist you park wrong way round so your hab doors donā€™t face each other, this decided me I wouldnt go to sites here if heā€™ll froze over. Caravan club site Morton in marsh insisted I parked so I got out on the sodden grass reinforcing the fact .

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Never had an issue parking either way round on any site.
Me neither.

And if you are camped five meters apart . . . thats good enough for building regs and boundary windows, surely good enough for campsites.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just been reading some reviews on a site near Weston super mare and the owner was telling the van owner that some sites are thinking of banning continental vans due to the hab doors been face to face with uk vans , has anyone heard about this or is it just bull poo.
There is a hugely popular site on way to Burnham on Sea that does not allow hab doors on wrong side. Mind you it doesn't matter which side the door is on if you had a problem & needed to exit quick they allow tents pitched anywhere.Always reminds me of soweto when I pass. But packed solid
I was browsing campsites the other day and came across one (can't remember which now) that would not allow 'continental vans'. Why turn away business? It put me right off, they sounded like a miserable lot!
Supposedly due to 'fire regs' . then again as above you wouldn't entertain the place with any sense.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Surely it's the site owners prerogative to take a blunderbuss to their own feet? I'd guess it wouldn't get that crowded for those able to comply, leaving more spaces available on less regimental sites.
Or we could fight back , perhaps start a movement, " off side openers matter ", ;).
Mike.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Never had an issue parking either way round on any site.
Likewise. I get the impression that there are some funsters who are disappointed if they don't have a tale or two about how they outsmarted the campsite wardens. Personally I have never had a problem parking in whatever direction I like within the confines of the allocated pitch and being respectful of neighbours, pitch conditions etc. except once, when to my surprise, the "warden" insisted that instead of parking fore and aft as 'normal', I park sideways in the pitch because of the slope and he produced two stonking great wooden wedges to level us up leaving us with a brilliant view over the campsite and to Robin Hood's Bay beyond.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We have a "continental" van and have never had an issue. Just had to drive in rather than reversing in.
I think it way be different for caravans in that they have to have the towing hitch facing outwards so as to be able to be towed out in an emergency situation ( I think)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There is a hugely popular site on way to Burnham on Sea that does not allow hab doors on wrong side. Mind you it doesn't matter which side the door is on if you had a problem & needed to exit quick they allow tents pitched anywhere.Always reminds me of soweto when I pass. But packed solid

Supposedly due to 'fire regs' . then again as above you wouldn't entertain the place with any sense.
That will be Home Farm Holiday Park. Static caravans mostly and a 40min walk to the beach with nothing else around. It says you must ring up if you want to use their touring field with a continental outfit.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we were on a site in Rudeshiem you tell the uk built vans because we were facing the opposite way to the rest. The site boss turned us round to be private as she put it.
We ended up back on the the Rhine with lovely views having a rear lounge.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Likewise. I get the impression that there are some funsters who are disappointed if they don't have a tale or two about how they outsmarted the campsite wardens. Personally I have never had a problem parking in whatever direction I like within the confines of the allocated pitch and being respectful of neighbours, pitch conditions etc. except once, when to my surprise, the "warden" insisted that instead of parking fore and aft as 'normal', I park sideways in the pitch because of the slope and he produced two stonking great wooden wedges to level us up leaving us with a brilliant view over the campsite and to Robin Hood's Bay beyond.
How strange - did he give a reason?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back