Bailey Forums (1 Viewer)

Lindab1956

Free Member
Aug 22, 2018
Funster No
I suspect some folks may not be happy with this post!
I am buying a new Bailey Motorhome and am looking for a forum that fellow Bailey owners may use.
Bailey Owners Club and also this forum want £15 a year subscription!! I am not prepared to pay that when there are many other forums I use which are subscription free ie Seatcupra.net. Britishrallyforum Swift talk etc. Even my local Motor Club has a membership fee a lot less than £15.
I suspect this post may bet pulled before I get answers but shall wait & see!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Posts don’t ‘get pulled’ on here for being critical of it. I happily pay £15 to be on here because it has saved probably more than ten years worth of subscriptions from the advice we have gained. I’d say you would be probably happier elsewhere but you’ll be missing out.
Plus, one make clubs are a bit limited and not at all necessary.
I’ve given up on two other forums but will remain part of this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
As a fellow Bailey owner my experience is that the other forums turn into either moaners sites (and there are quite a few of those..) or run by those defending their own ownership with a vengeance - Millwall supporters club don't come close.
I think you'll find a more informed source of information on sites like this. IMHO if you own a £50K plus piece of kit, £15 per year for the entertainment and useful stuff is very small beer.
Whatever...
:)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I agree. I am on the Bailey site but it bears no comparison to this one. Maybe try both and see the difference. (y)

I have been quoted as saying that I'd still remain a member here even with no motorhome

Wyn

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We get £25 a year off insurance for being members of a paid club. So we make £10 a year for being part of the best forum (y) no brainer:cool:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I am buying a new Bailey Motorhome and am looking for a forum that fellow Bailey owners may use.
Bailey Owners Club and also this forum want £15 a year subscription!! I am not prepared to pay that when there are many other forums I use which are subscription free ie Seatcupra.net. Britishrallyforum Swift talk etc. Even my local Motor Club has a membership fee a lot less than £15.
Hope you have got enough info from the free forums before choosing your motorhome.
This forum has thousands of owners of different vans and layouts to get information from. I think if you are worried about £15 then maybe mototorhome expenses will be a shock to you.
Good Luck

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I do the admin/moderation for a one make forum which is free and I pay my £15 here, to be honest if I had to choose it would be £15 on this one and drop the freebie.

Martin

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
It’s your choice of course but what was your purpose in posting? You say you get info from a number of free sites and then list some. Do you not get the answers you require from them?
I own a 2012 Bailey and have subscribed to this forum for three years now. The information I have received, not only about Bailey but motorhoming generally, and the friendly manner in which it’s offered, has made it the best £45 (3 years) ever spent. Good luck.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

First of all welcome to motorhome fun, you will find that posts on here don't get pulled unless they break the rules of the forum, we only have one person on here @Jim not lots of petty mods. If you feel the £15 is to much for you then you can use the site for free just to read but after 5 free posts you won't be able to ask questions etc. Good Luck with your purchase and hopefully the free sites will be able to give you all the help you require.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't know if you are trying to barter the subs down but it won't work!! I suspect at 4 beer tokens a year most on here feel they are getting value or the forum would not be here anymore. Can't really see why you are bothering to post ?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015

Sorry @Lindab1956
Being a 75-2 owner I think you may have just put yourself on the back foot here.
We are a great bunch of knowledgeable folk and as you maybe aware a Bailey is made up of a lot of different bits from different manufacturers.
Which also make up a lot more mhs than just baileys.
So this site for me is worth a lot more than1 night on a site (£15)
Have you read any posts regarding parts that make up you new mh.
Are you aware that your cupboards will come open when you hit a pot hole (that's if you are getting the autograph model)
Or if you dismantle the whale water fil attachment and take the filter part out it will fill quicker.
I guess not.
If you want to stay with the freebie sites on Facebook such as motorhome fun on Facebook then that's fine and it's your choice.
But please don't come on here with an attitude as you have and expect any help.
If you decide that this place is for you then all will be forgotten and you will be welcomed with open arms.
It is still the best £15 we spend on motorhoming each year.
For help,inspiration and just for a bit of friendly banter.
Come on join in the fun you won't regret it

Aug 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
Knaus sky i plus
We have just bought a Bailey 76-4 had it for 1 week.

The 1st thing nobody tells you is that you have to get a cat 1 thatcham alarm fitted or your insurance is through the roof.

Picked it up all excited from the dealership had a good handover great 1st night on their site. Woke up ready for a cuppa & bacon & eggs but could not get into fridge! Went round to dealer & salesman who sold it to us went straight out & checked it, the pin in the door was faulty so drove bus around to technician to fix.

1st weekend away pulled onto pitch set up, then promptly left her to find lunch. Upon return got chairs out sat in the sun with a beer & G & T hubby starts to tie rap wheel trims on, on 2nd wheel thinks why are my hands so dirty turns out either the driveshaft boot has split, or grease leaked out of boot onto inside of wheel.

Had 1st shower the next morning water flow very slow & water not very warm, just lathered up when the water was stone cold, after 15 mins of being stood in my towel whilst hubby tried to find the problem, I put the kettle on & finished off with a bowel of water thinking what have we done?

Think that the water had not registered in the tank properly on the 1st fill the sensor was showing full but needed refilling. I asked hubby if I needed to watch the sensor whilst he filled back up, no he said I am going to brim it. The next thing I notice a dark mark on my light carpets pull one up to see water on the floor! There is no over spill on the main water tank & the screw cap on the top was not sealed properly with sealant so leaked out luckily I was in the hab so spotted it. When lifted carpets up noticed areas on vinyl flooring was bubbled but in places where the water had not got to. Also noted general small problems screws missing of awning, sealant on exterior, trim needs resticking in hab.

Spoke with dealer who are a present trying to sort it but just saying that Bailey don't bond their vinyl flooring!! Told us to contact Peugeot direct as they don't have anything to do with the cab side of things so booked in at garage only to get there & they didn't realise what type of vehicle it is & was too big for there ramps!! So now trying to contact another dealer in another town!

Overall love the layout, so light & airy, nice comfy ride in the captains chair, just a lot of little things that added up to spoil/frustrate a first time experience.

Wes

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Wesbus are you aware as a fully paid up funster if you mention it to eddievanbitz who is one of the best fitters of alarms when booking you get a very good discount, that will pay for your sub on Fun many times over just one of the advantages of being a member. Hope you get some luck in sorting your faults out.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It seems that you know the price of everything but the value of nothing

Get on that free Swift forum for the best info on your Bailey!!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Oh No I just renewed for another year. I didnt know the seatcupra forum was free :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I bet they dont know a whole lot about motorhoming but its free so it must be good.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
That is down to lack of your own reachsearch, no point in blaming others.

A trifle harsh, I think. This could be something that could be told to prospective purchasers. Not everything can be researched. As Rumsfeld said, "there are known knowns, there are known unknowns, there are unknown unknowns.........etc etc".

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We have just bought a Bailey 76-4 had it for 1 week.

The 1st thing nobody tells you is that you have to get a cat 1 thatcham alarm fitted or your insurance is through the roofl

I think that’s down to your insurer, not specifically to Bailey. Many insurers require alarms for vans over a certain price - but when we had an Approach 740 ours were happy with the Peugeot immobiliser. So you could shop round insurers.

OP
OP
L

Lindab1956

Free Member
Aug 22, 2018
Funster No
OK folks, thanks for all your comments, I must admit to being somewhat disappointed at some of the responses, they are bordering on being aggressive!
No I have not had too many shandies.
Yes I am aware of Motorhome costs, I have had Motor Homes since 2006. I only found my way on to this forum whilst searching for reviews of the Bailey Motorhome. I may have accepted the subscription had it been a one off fee., but annually? I will pay for my own motorhome, I do not want to contribute to someone else's Motor Home!
One member has suggested there are thousands of motorhome users using this forum. If that is the case someone is creaming off some money, even if only 2000 members this equates to £30k pa! a nice little earner for someone.

Yes some of you may not agree with my thoughts but I am a member on a number of other forums SEAT, Skoda, Honda, Classic Minis, Elf owners, BritishRallyforum ( proper rallies, not meetings in fields) Turbosport, FIAT Forum, and also Swift Talk.
None of these ask for a fee which is why I am against lining someones pockets on here!

And no, I have not asked about a Bailey on any of these forums, similarly I would not think of posting a query about my 1965 Riley Elf on here!

Out of all the responses to my OP, there is only one that I felt was considered useful, thank you.

So I shall take my leave of you and as some of your members have suggested will go elsewhere. I will however watch with interest at the derogatory comments this post will raise. I have managed well enough without this forum for the 12 years I have been motorhoming, I'm sure I will manage in the future Thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back