Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I think we must all accept that there are certain members who cannot stand anything to do with the UK and that only Europe gets things right. No point in getting stressed about it. Life’s too short. Enjoy your holidays wherever you choose to take them, which this year for most of us is going to be at home.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I think we must all accept that there are certain members who cannot stand anything to do with the UK and that only Europe gets things right. No point in getting stressed about it. Life’s too short. Enjoy your holidays wherever you choose to take them, which this year for most of us is going to be at home.
I for one would certainly not be in that group. I love Great Britain and have wandered around much of it. That is why I am so much in favour of our authorities learning from wherever possible to provide the type of facilities that we are asking for at moderate charge if need be.

I would be quite happy with recognised overnighting (ubernachtung - yes that's another word brought in from Europe) places with none to minimum services. It would be nice for a reasonable percentage to have grey & black waste disposal and fresh water supply but just recognised parking places would be a good start.

It wouldn't take long for the likes of Flot Bleu, Euro Relais etc. to be falling over themselves to supply their bournes to UK locations if only our local authorities would get their heads out of the sand. Using tokens (jettons) obtainable from local commerce just like European townships do would encourage visitors into said commerce as well.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I agree, it's often claimed but never verified. If I caught someone dumping a cassette on a beach, the video me putting him right would definitely go viral.
Yep me too ..

I'm not saying it never happens as there are some dirty scum out there but I believe uts in the minority.

I'd be taking pics of the person the waste and the vehicle and it would be posted everywhere and reported to police.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wouldn't be in that group either ....in fact its only since 2018 that I've travelled in europe with a motorhome apart from a 3 week tour in 2014.
But ive had campers , caravans and now motorhomes since i was 17 years old.

Scotland was always great for wildcamping and off site use ....the 3 times I've tried to tour England ive struggled to find decent places to park ....ive visited Wales twice and had similar issues.
When my kids were young and I had a caravan I used campsites and paid a small fortune to be annoyed silly with out of control kids , noise and silly rules from overzealous wardens. I moved from a caravan to a motorhome so I could go back to wildcamping.

I love scotland but its getting almost as bad as England for trying to squeeze money out people for every little thing and im tired of it.

After seeing what europe has to offer tourists theres simply no comparison in my view.

I'd like to tour round parts of England but I'm not prepared to have to use sites so until they create an alternative I'll just drive through it to get to europe
And I suspect many do the same

And I can see why there's not as many foreign vans come here

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Thank you for enlightening me Vipar. It is a shame that some Motorhomers feel it necessary to use such derogatory terms towards other Motorhomers on this community site and tar everyone with the same brush. An opinion can be given without all the vitriol, surely? Let's keep it civilised!
Although I agree with you unfortunately you are flogging a dead horse. Apparently some ‘well educated’ members feel that if you don’t agree with them you are wrong.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Why would anyone in their right mind simply get in their motorhome, drive into Wales (or Scotland, England or Anywhere) at a weekend without knowing where they were going to stay ? Baffles me.
Is the weekend NOT the busiest time of the week ? are all the parking spots going to be taken ?
I dont understand that mindset, to me that's just like driving out of your gate, and pulling over ten minutes up the road and spending the night there ? What's that all about.
Whilst my glass is half empty, dont you just hate all these abbreviated words (yes i have used them and hated myself for it) , EHU's, FLT's (what the ****** does that mean) cant people spell ? or is it look at me i know all the jargon.

Yes I'm p******d off, It's pouring with rain and i cant do anything except look at these dam screens in front of me.
Take it easy and not too seriously.
Because it is their choice and nothing to do with not being in their right mind just different from you.

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
I agree, it's often claimed but never verified. If I caught someone dumping a cassette on a beach, the video me putting him right would definitely go viral.
Fair point... I’m curious enough to make some enquiries!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
When my kids were young and I had a caravan I used campsites and paid a small fortune to be annoyed silly with out of control kids , noise and silly rules from overzealous wardens. I moved from a caravan to a motorhome so I could go back to wildcamping.
We’re currently restricted to taking holidays when schools are off due to working in education.

Eight campsites into Motorhomig & we’ve not had any visits matching the horrors you described.
The nearest match is that there’s been plenty of children on bikes & scooters but they’re all gone by 6pm.

We’ve beento campsites in the South Coast, Peak District, Cotswolds & Berkshire. So a mixed bunch of locations.

Have they changed since your bad experiences? Fingers crossed they have. 🤞

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I think you need to re-read that one

Traveling space doesn't mean a 'parking space' but as in a ferry or tunnel berth.
& nothing to do with parking.It would state 'parking' space not travelling

I was using the word / term '' accommodation '' as a synonym for '' space '', (y) I would like to accommodate your request to rethink, (y) however I cannot be so accommodating at this present time (y)

Selected definitions :

2. Something that meets a need; a convenience. (y)

3. Something fulfilling a need, want, etc; convenience or facility (y)

4. Anything that supplies a need, want, convenience, etc. (y)

I do hope we can reach an accommodation with our differing viewpoints (y)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I had always thought hoped that the majority on here were responsible people that set a good (legal) example to others. Perhaps I was wrong as there seem to be a "decent number" of people who think that they can apply their own rules over the law of the land and be in the right.

Not first hand and a bit older than I would have liked, but I stumbled on this article after a short search. No doubt it will be dismissed as 'fake news' by the people with alternate opinions (see how I avoided saying FLTs there :giggle:).

Motorhome toilets 'emptied on Morfa Bychan beach'

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had always thought hoped that the majority on here were responsible people that set a good (legal) example to others. Perhaps I was wrong as there seem to be a "decent number" of people who think that they can apply their own rules over the law of the land and be in the right.

Not first hand and a bit older than I would have liked, but I stumbled on this article after a short search. No doubt it will be dismissed as 'fake news' by the people with alternate opinions (see how I avoided saying FLTs there :giggle:).

Motorhome toilets 'emptied on Morfa Bychan beach'
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Ah yes the old black rock sands story

One of the ones I mentioned earlier in the thread ....and who was it that made the complaint/claim ....but didn't take any photos or registration numbers of vehicles etc

Ah yes the local campsite warden ...🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20200820-110352_Chrome.jpg

Same story in dornoch ....but it was a b&b owner instead and in whitby another b&b owner

Basically its always someone with a vested interest and never have evidence in any form ...

Its the good old lets claim they dumped waste to gain public support against people not using our facilities

Because no one would ever suspect they are lying through their teeth

I personally had the warden from roseview campsite in oban tell me to my face that all he had to do to get the police to move me from a layby was tell them he saw me dump cassette waste

These people are scum and deserve to be bankrupt

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We’re currently restricted to taking holidays when schools are off due to working in education.

Eight campsites into Motorhomig & we’ve not had any visits matching the horrors you described.
The nearest match is that there’s been plenty of children on bikes & scooters but they’re all gone by 6pm.

We’ve beento campsites in the South Coast, Peak District, Cotswolds & Berkshire. So a mixed bunch of locations.

Have they changed since your bad experiences? Fingers crossed they have. 🤞
To be honest I've no idea as I've only had 3 experiences with a campsite in the last 5 or 6 years....all of which resulted in me not staying there.
I had considered working on one this year as a warden but I found other work and in hindsight I'm glad I did as I would likely have been fired fairly quick lol

If it ever gets to a point where I can't park offsite then the motorhome will be sold as I've no interest in staying on sites.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Sorry to disappoint you but I live local to Black Rock sands and it has been a problem for a few years. At one point before the beach was closed overnight there were over 100 motorhomes and campers on the beach overnight and yes some were unfortunately emptying their cassettes. I was also travelling on the road through Morfa a few weeks back and I had to follow a motorhome emptying their grey water whilst they were driving through the village. When you are on a motorcycle and the wind is blowing its not pleasant to follow even at a considerable distance.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry to disappoint you but I live local to Black Rock sands and it has been a problem for a few years. At one point before the beach was closed overnight there were over 100 motorhomes and campers on the beach overnight and yes some were unfortunately emptying their cassettes. I was also travelling on the road through Morfa a few weeks back and I had to follow a motorhome emptying their grey water whilst they were driving through the village. When you are on a motorcycle and the wind is blowing its not pleasant to follow even at a considerable distance.
Did you personally see anyone dumping a cassette ? Or was it someone else you heard it from?
Did you take photos , video , registration number ?
Did you report it to the police ?

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Did you personally see anyone dumping a cassette ? Or was it someone else you heard it from?
Did you take photos , video , registration number ?
Did you report it to the police ?
Why would you doubt what has been said!

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Really?

Do you just believe anything anyone tells you without question?
No but I don’t go around distrusting everything everyone says. Just make my own mind up and take decisions after careful consideration of facts as presented and by whom. I don’t doubt everything that is said just because I don’t like it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No but I don’t go around distrusting everything everyone says. Just make my own mind up and take decisions after careful consideration of facts as presented and by whom. I don’t doubt everything that is said just because I don’t like it.
As stated previously out of all the claims about cassette dumping there has never been any evidence provided or indeed anyone ever charged with the offence
I've yet to see one claim that wasn't initially made by someone with a vested interest .

Its not a matter of not liking it ...its a matter of personal experience that people will lie and are prepared to lie in order to gain public support.

Thats something that anyone living in the uk should be only to familiar with

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
of people who think that they can apply their own rules over the law of the land and be in the right.
Only when those that are in power have slipped in dodgy ones for there own benefits& to make life easier for them to control people, whilst doing nothing about addressing the problems or those causing the problems. That is how I look at it & consider anyone enforcing those laws/rules ,& even worse many who are doing it whilst disagreeing with said laws/rules , to be even worse than those who introduced said 'laws'.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As stated previously out of all the claims about cassette dumping there has never been any evidence provided or indeed anyone ever charged with the offence

Its not a matter of not liking it ...its a matter of personal experience that people will lie and are prepared to lie in order to gain public support.
Do you have any evidence to prove that people lie to get public support?

Evidence that would stand up in a court of law?

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
I live in Carmarthenshire and unless you’re travelling down from Aberystwyth it’s the county you go through to get to Pembrokeshire. In Llanelli there’s a new development of some 600 new houses and it’s on the site of Stradey Park ( rugby enthusiasts will know about Stradey Park). Bordering on this new development is a brand new Primary school. As with everywhere the school is shut. Last week a local traveller family moved onto the school’s car park. There’s a very large tree a out 30 meters from the car park and 10 metres from some of the New houses. The family in the caravan have been using the tree as a toilet in full view of about 60 properties. The locals all decided to contact the council (not really sure who they got hold of, might have been the police). They were expecting some action at the site, and they got it! The council turned up ....... with a portaloo and a means of providing the traveler family with water. The residents who complained were told the travellers were only staying for 2 weeks.
I’m thinking perhaps all the camper vans and Motorhomes in Pembrokeshire should get to the nearest school and park up in the car park.
Layers of irony in this story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back