Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think that all persons who allege that something is 'illegal' for certain activities in certain places should, in order to be taken seriously, cite the law which is being broken, whether national law, by-laws or RTOs, including the activity banned, its geographical scope, dates/days applicable and times. Also included should be any 'definitions' applicable to the above.

Some of those seeking citations may find that their allegations are unsubstantiated.

Equally those refuting that something is not illegal may find the opposite.

There is no point in batting about allegations without facts.

Geoff

Geoff, do you still take your Archbold, Wilkinson's Road traffic Offences, and maybe even Megarry and Wade with you on your travels? :unsure:

A good authority on obstruction of the highway is DPP v Jones [1999] 2 AC 240. A smashing read.

In the end though it seems to rest on the decision of Magistrates as regards the question whether obstruction of the highway is reasonable in the particular circumstances so as not to amount to an offence. This can lead to bizarre outcomes as illustrated by the Cosmos Takeaway burger van appeal (Scott v Mid-South Essex Justices and Keskin [2004] EWHC 1001 (Admin). Guess how that private prosecution turned out ... :rolleyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
At least I can remember what I wrote!

And of course we are agreed that you did say that campsite owners were dumping waste despite your post #60 claiming you never said that!

So it seems that comprehension isn't your strong point?
No I didn't say campsite owners were dumping waste.

You've quoted it twice now yet still unable to comprehend what I actually wrote

Keep trying im sure you will get it eventually

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since we are all voicing our extreme opinions

Personally I think anyone who uses a motorhome as a caravan should have it confiscated and they should be banned from owning a recreation vehicle for life. Imposing your views and life style on everyone else, i see

I'd also impose a ban on English motorhomes entering Scotland till they can provide the same quality of scenery and parking places. This should work both ways, i'm all for rebuilding Hadrian's Wall

Then we wouldn't have as much trouble finding FLT spots in scotland.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I feel sad and sorry for the FLT hating, campsite loving motorhomers.

Narrow minded, prejudiced bigots who think their way is the only way...

Thank goodness I never come into contact with any of them...

JJ :cool:

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Why would anyone in their right mind simply get in their motorhome, drive into Wales (or Scotland, England or Anywhere) at a weekend without knowing where they were going to stay ? Baffles me.
Is the weekend NOT the busiest time of the week ? are all the parking spots going to be taken ?
I dont understand that mindset, to me that's just like driving out of your gate, and pulling over ten minutes up the road and spending the night there ? What's that all about.
Whilst my glass is half empty, dont you just hate all these abbreviated words (yes i have used them and hated myself for it) , EHU's, FLT's (what the ****** does that mean) cant people spell ? or is it look at me i know all the jargon.

Yes I'm p******d off, It's pouring with rain and i cant do anything except look at these dam screens in front of me.
Take it easy and not too seriously.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
I'd happily see Illegally parked Motorhomes taken away and crushed. Those who prefer doing it the French way know where they can go ;)

If it's not legal then, please - go to where it is. Don't try and impose your preferences on the rest of us!
How does it 'impose' a preference on you personally?
I'm not a full time Moho user but I do like to travel and stop where I find the scenery attractive. I'm not a big fan of campsites with all the facilities that are laid on but understand that there are those that do. Each to their own.
Tolerance goes a long way.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I never believed that so many readers would 'like' or similar my earlier post and looking back I forgot to mention another local authority that has provided overnight parking for motor homes and it's so close to Pembrokeshire!

Come on Pembrokshire and Dyfed as a whole look what your neighbour has been doing for years and do similar.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I never believed that so many readers would 'like' or similar my earlier post and looking back I forgot to mention another local authority that has provided overnight parking for motor homes and it's so close to Pembrokeshire!

Come on Pembrokshire and Dyfed as a whole look what your neighbour has been doing for years and do similar.

If I'm reading this correctly :

Motorhome and Goods >3t
  • Up to 1 Hour: £2.00
  • 1 - 2 Hours: £4.00
  • 2 - 4 Hours: £6.00
  • Over 4 Hours: £8.00
  • Overnight: £0.00
If they mean G.V.W. up to 3t, that fact rules out many / most Motorhomes ?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I quite like Jims explanation

FLT

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/are-you-really-a-flt.208098/page-3#post-3583475

The site I posted a picture from is this one Search for sites

I really haven't the time / energy to argue with those set in their ways - the basic arguement seems to revolve around - Is it OK to do whatever YOU think should be allowed regardless of whether it's legal or not. My word for that is Selfishness.

If it's illegal and fines are not working then yes, confiscate the vehicles and crush them. A suitable deterrent is required.

I'm not a demon, I'd allow the owners to get out first ;)

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
As a resident of Wales I know that there is a lot of feeling about this issue. Part of the problem is the availability of campsites. Close to where I live I know of 3 sites that have recently closed or have reduced capacity in Beddgelert area (Beddgelert Forest, Cae Ddu, Plas y Nant) plus Shell Island is closed which is has had a significant impact on pitch availability.

Another problem has been the strategy of the Welsh Government. Until 5-6 weeks ago residents of Wales were limited to a 5 mile travel limit from their homes. They had had very limited opportunities to go out and enjoy their local areas. As soon as the 5 mile restriction was lifted, Wales was swamped with visitors keen to enjoy the tourist attractions and national parks. England's restrictions were eased significantly 4 weeks before Wales. Imagine the resentment that this has caused when you have been so keen to get out and then find that you are struggling to go out, find parking spaces full, people ignoring the 2 metre Welsh social distancing rules (different from England), camping in every lay-by, litter etc..... when you have spent 4 months looked forward to enjoying your country.

I know of friends locally who simply now refuse to go out, they are scared that this virus will return and impact them and their families.

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Living in Pembrokeshire, there are several issues, not just a single point. The county was utterly unprepared for the influx. We always have wild camping, particularly in the winter as many sites are closed but we are swamped by the sheer numbers which inevitably means there will be more inconsiderate camping. These few are not only parking in dangerous and selfish places, but are emptying their toilets on beaches. I’m beyond furious as we are all tarred with the same brush. It seems obvious that some sort of Aire facilities are the way forward but when National Parks have strict policies to protect the coastline I can only hope some forward thinking and modern planning happens. The mentality of the few, operating with a single brain cell and feeling ‘entitled’ should be more harshly delt with on an individual basis. But that needs money....

Mar 24, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
FLT = free loading tosser
Thank you for enlightening me Vipar. It is a shame that some Motorhomers feel it necessary to use such derogatory terms towards other Motorhomers on this community site and tar everyone with the same brush. An opinion can be given without all the vitriol, surely? Let's keep it civilised!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I feel sad and sorry for the FLT hating, campsite loving motorhomers.

Narrow minded, prejudiced bigots who think their way is the only way...

Thank goodness I never come into contact with any of them...

You could point these views at yourself I don’t see campsite loving motorhome s causing the issues that relate to wild camping .
Thank goodness you don’t....

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You could point these views at yourself. I don’t see campsite loving motorhomes causing the issues that relate to wild camping .
Thank goodness you don’t....

I have motorhomed "off-site" for over 35 years and never caused you or anyone else any issues...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I must have missed something in my life . . . . whats a TFL ?????
TFL is Transport For London. FLT is.......Free Loading Tosser. You've been on here for a long time, I can't believe you have not come across this before. A few spleens have been vented on this time and time again !

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How do you know this?
I've yet to see photographic evidence of this yet despite nearly everyone having a mobile phone camera these days

I know if it was me and I wished to make a claim about toilet disposal id take photos.

I have on the other hand seen plenty of daytrippers both home and abroad going behind dunes and bushes in their droves

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sadly, it’s not an uncommon occurrence down here, rare but becoming more common during holiday times. Reported by a friend who saw...
When he takes pictures and proves without doubt then its fact

Till then in any uk court its hearsay and to be taken as unfounded

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So, HGV drivers will get penalty notices for parking and sleeping overnight in a lay-by?

There is only one reason for banning 'overnighting' in a car park where other vehicles without occupants are allowed to park overnight is to fill the pockets of camp site owners.

Yes, some inconsiderate idiots leave rubbish but it's not just motor home users that do that, just look at any car park near a fast food outlet.
Others, not just motor home users, make a noise in the 'quiet hours' but so do many inconsiderate car owners.

ALL local authorities need to get a grip on the possibilities of revenue earning from their parking areas and overnight parking for motor homes, Torridge District Council have done it so have Chester, Hawick, Cambridge and many others. If Pembrokeshire and others with the same attitude don't understand what is required they should get out into Europe and learn how it's done and then follow the European example.

Sorry I don't class myself as a FLT but I don't like most camp sites and I don't mind paying a reasonable price to park overnight within a community and partake of its commerce or in a beautiful remote spot.

After all if I am touring and wish to stop in the early evening, eat (local restaurant or in the camper), sleep overnight, have breakfast and move on why on earth would I want to pay £20 or more for the privilege of a parking space on a camp site? I'm self contained and at the most need to fill and empty grey & black for which a small fee is quite acceptable. I have no problem with spaces for 'overnighting' being limited to protect the environment and strongly enforced if reasonably adequate are provided.

PS You would never guess that I love the French way of doing things would you?

Or maybe its to stop towns and the countryside being over run with people just parking up where they like?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Did you read the first sentence 👍

Probably not in your rush to feel offended

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally, I use a mix of campsites, motorway Aires and conventional Aires when abroad.

In the UK I tend to use sites as I still work and as I did last weekend I met one of my Sons for a long weekend and we booked a site. The only reason that we booked a site was that we both have RV's and didn't want to be messing around.

So we had this field, 16 amp electricity for the Air Con, a tap and plenty of space as you can see! Opens straight out onto the Solent way and and an easy walk into Lymington. I don't recognise the concentration camp references or the over crowding.

In a couple of weeks Lyn and I are off, nothing booked and will probably use a mix of pub stops and CL's

Whilst I would like to see more Aires, I don't see the CL network being over used, many of them offering exactly what many want, somewhere to park, a water tap and a chemical dump

1597837386459.png

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have motorhomed "off-site" for over 35 years and never caused you or anyone else any issues...

I am sorry but it was you who made the comments “narrow minded prejudiced bigots” so 35 years and you have never caused anyone else any issues I think you have a very blinkered view , how would you know what problems you might have caused after the wild camping.
When I started motorhoming I had this rose coloured view that I could pull up on a beach get the barbecue table and chairs out , run the generator if I needed extra power , then I saw in many parts of Spain and Portugal that the herding effect took place and scores of motorhome s were parked in scruffy car parks or spoiling the view at some beauty spots . It seems to me that many wild campers are ruining your reputation not campsite lovers

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
TFL is Transport For London. FLT is.......Free Loading Tosser. You've been on here for a long time, I can't believe you have not come across this before. A few spleens have been vented on this time and time again !

Ha Ha TFL !!!! Transport for London . . . . Sadiq Khans empire !! I must be still pi**ed from last night, and I picked up from other posts the meaning of FLT, thanks,

I'm just a shy retiring Lancashire Lad . . Sorry I

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back