B2B Chargers Again! in a Hymer with EBL (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all you B2B gurus, I know this has been discussed quite a bit, I have read many posts on here and elsewhere and I, probably like many others, have become totally confused.

First off @Jim sells them not sure which model, £290 which I believe is the 45amp one is this the best one to get or is it best to go for a higher amp version if so which. Amazon has a BB1250 for £279 inc delivery a BB241230 for £296 inc. there is no indication of current output also I believe Ring make a B2B which is cheaper (is it as good?), so all very confusing.
And then there is the Alternator to Battery AB2480 for £337inc. how to choose.
First my MoHo is a Hymer 614 Star. On Fiat 150 Euro5 chassis with Alko chassis.
It has the Schaudt EBL 101 paired with the DT203 panel
3 x 100watt (German) Solar panels
With Vitronic MPP350 regulator with digital link to EBL wired as suggested by Udo Lang and @JeanLuc to avoid the Solar limit of the EBL101. This regulator controls the S+ terminal of the Fridge to switch to Battery when there is enough excess solar power which works very well even if only a little sun.
2 x 90 AH Varta leisure batteries about to ad a third of same age and condition.
90 AH Bosch engine battery.

There have been suggestions here and elsewhere that the EBL101 is a sort of B2B as it can output 35amps….. is it really?
There are also suggestions that the EBL101 will get very confused because when the B2B is working it is not counting the amps in but it is counting the amps out……Will it get confused and close the system down thinking that the batteries are too low despite it measuring the voltage?
In one post @eddievanbitz said it would just reset each time it got to full charge so not a problem. As the B2B would be working every time the engine runs the battery is likely to get to 100% most times so the EBL will basically reset then just measure the amps out and solar panel or charger amps in when. Battery usage will only happen parked up when the drain becomes of interest when the batteries should be at 100%.
There is another suggestion that the “Battery Master” part of the EBL101 should be disconnected as it would be a loop. I cannot see how this could be a problem as I would think (in fact I can see from the cuircuit diagram of the EBL) that circuit would be protected by diodes and other electronics in the EBL especially as it actually limits the current flow to the engine battery to a trickle charge. Disconnecting this would also stop the solar panels from keeping the engine battery topped up so disconnecting it would not be good.
The B2B can have temperature sensors on the alternator and on the leisure battery terminals I would think this is important….do you agree is it worth the extra cost or do they come in the kit?

So…. If the B2B or A2B is a sensible fitment especially as we rarely if ever have hook up, any suggestions should it be A2B or B2B and which model?
Is it worth the expense of the Remote control panel, I am hoping that it will fit in the spare space in the engine battery box under the cab floor which of course will be cool, so it will be impossible to see it in normal use. Until I physically try it, it is difficult to tell if this will be possible. Regardless of where I fit it, is it “fit-n-forget” or is it necessary to see what it is doing. Hence the remote panel.
If I can fit it into that battery box I think it may be difficult to run 12 mm sq cable or larger as the gap is quite thin would two 6mm sq be ok or should they be even thicker like normal battery cables about 12mm dia whatever cross section that is. Should it have both + and – cables all the way to the leisure batteries less than a meter, or is the chassis neg on to the engine battery OK.
Is it worth fitting a Victron Battery monitor in the region of £150 and which one and is the blue tooth dongle worth the expense I have seen the BMV700 with dongle for £179 as a kit. There also seem to be a number of versions of these on Amazon so model suggestions please if the BMV700 is not appropriate.
On my last van I had a Gasperini GPL (LPG) generator which was very good in winter when the sun didn’t shine but very rarely used so hardly worth the extra expense if this B2B setup will keep the batteries topped up in an emergency by just running the engine for a bit if the batteries get a bit low. That is, if I am understanding the abilities of the B2B correctly.

If you have waded through all this, thus far then thanks very much. I very much welcome any input .
Steve

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Might want to reduce your text sizing there...... (forget your glasses??)

I got the ring B2B includes solar charging and I thinks its ok and does the job of charging from the cab battery and solar all in one.

I also have one of my 3 solar 100 watt panels charging my cab battery via a small cheap solar charger. When cab is full 12.7 volts excess charge power goes to the b2b and charges the hab so i always have full batteries.

charge voltage float main and cutoff is selected via the b2b for hab and solar floats the cab at 12.7 seems to all work well.

No need for expensive victron monitors, I have a seperate voltmeter on the hab battery and a cheap chinese voltage monitor on the hab bank

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Might want to reduce your text sizing there...... (forget your glasses??)

I got the ring B2B includes solar charging and I thinks its ok and does the job of charging from the cab battery and solar all in one.
Sorry about that, it was a bit in your face wasn't it. I already have the MPPT regulator so possibly not necessary especially as I like the fridge control.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
As I understand it the ebl101 does not enhance the charging current from engine batt / alternator.
If you wire the b2b through the ebl101 you have to be sure the internal wiring and relay contact is capable of taking the high current you are about to push through the ebl. The more leisure batts you have the longer that high current will flow.
I would wire the b2b directly to the leisure batts and disconnect the starter batt feed to ebl rear connection block, possibly by removing the 50a fuse.
The mains charging of engine battery does not use this rear connection, instead it uses the starter batt supply for the fridge.
Re the ebl getting confused i am not sure. I think it will only disconnect on low voltage and not capacity. But do not know for sure.
The capacity readings will not be accurate but this facility can be turned off in the secret menu.
I dont have a b2b so this is all theoretical.......
Schaudt now supply a b2b so perhaps check out their wiring. I beleive they limit current to 20amps? so their wiring method may not be suitable for a higher rated b2b system.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @SandraL, unfortunately it looks, by the number of replies that people are bored with this subject.
I think I will first fit a Victron Battery Monitor so I can get used to what is happening with the batteries and just what the EBL101 is doing.
Does anybody know what exactly is the difference between the 700 & the 702, as far as I can find out the 702 will also monitor the voltage of the engine battery but does not have a shunt so can do no more than state of charge or average charge. but it does have a voltage alarm I think for the second battery which could be good, so £33 extra.
Anybody any more info?
Steve

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We fitted a Sterling B2B direct to the two batteries not through our EBL(not sure which model as papers and MH not here)

It works fine, except that the ammeter reading on the Schaudt panel, after a few seconds shows a massive discharge. I talked to Sterling and they said that even with their expertise they could not make the systems compatible, without putting an expensive Shunt in the system. However I live with the reading, as the much higher voltage showing on the voltmeter on the panel for each battery is a good indication of what the B2B is pumping out.

Geoff

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In my 2015 Hymer the split charger is not in the EBL but is in a separate Schaudt unit situated underneath my driver's seat I think Can't check anything at the moment because I am far away from home and the motorhome. If I remember rightly if the liesure batteries are not fully charged when I switch on the engine the Victron shows a very high amperage but I am not sure how high.

I have the Victron 700 which I find is good enough for me. I think you are correct about the difference between it and the 702, but I don't know if the 702 has a second shunt for the engine battery or not. I just use the control panel to keep an eye on the state of the voltage of the engine battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@SandraL is right about the EBL only the older ones I think the 220 had the B2B facility. The BM702 is for large battery banks and it can measure different points in the bank its really made for boats.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Just found a Victron data sheet which says :
BMV-702 additional features Additional input to measure voltage (of a second battery), temperature or midpoint voltage, and corresponding alarm and relay settings.​
So for £30 ish I think it worth it to have an alarm on the engine battery just in case something gets left on as happened to me when I first got the van and assumed the Radio was off the leisure battery which it wasn't and I lost the engine battery. OK it was probably near end of life but just finished it off.
It desn't have a second shunt just a connection for measuring a second battery.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back