LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
There appears to be a lot of funsters not taking out their awnings but using a popup.

Thinking about it.

Pros/ cons?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Noticed this at Castleton club site at weekend
People storing tables and chairs in them over night

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
We don't have a pop-up but an air awning which I find quick and easy (I do have an electric inflator though)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Pop up for me every time. If buying a van again a windout canopy would not be on my wish list.

Quest pop-up can be erected by one person in minutes. IF severe wind hits they can collapse but they do pop back up - just ask @beerdrinker1 Ken!!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Tried many, many awnings :whew: all with varying pros & cons but now we have one of these & love it despite the colour :) Using good pegs it stood up to strong winds well, packs down small & light into its carry bag, can join two or more together, quick & easy to put up (even in the dark!) & take down, not too expensive & comes with a 2 year warranty:
Link Removed
Have a look at the photos & reviews on the web page.

big_e0ef2910c19f42d89cd9b2d392657143.jpg

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Also considering this big one for longer stays as saw one at Upton Blues & looked good at coping with the high winds too <Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am committed, to keep the peace in my marriage, Bev wanted an awning, not just any awning, one with all the sides etc

We have more or less mastered it now, but still in first year of ownership, my only condition is it mustn't go up for one night stops, which means Bev wins again as we now stop places for longer

I do actually quite like it, but that's just between us (y)(y)

076.JPG

028.JPG

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Also considering this big one for longer stays as saw one at Upton Blues & looked good at coping with the high winds too <Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

That looks like a very very good product indeed!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
That looks like a very very good product indeed!
Looks better & much smarter than the web photos & with 2 years warranty we are very tempted as Decathlon aftersales have been excellent in our experience. Reading the reviews it looks like the groundsheet is removable too.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We also have the quest elite pop up. Been up in some windy conditions in Scotland and the worst thats happened is a side has blown in. Great product and quick to put up. Our safari room has been banished to the garage the last 2 yrs.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some people pop an awning out before they reach for a beer. Never been that fussed about them. if the sun's out I don't want to be in the shade! (You get like that after 13 years living in WEsT Wales) We tend to use our awning only in wet weather thats not too windy.

If I was inclined, I think I'd go for a separate pop-up. If the wind picks up in the night, you don't have to dash out in your underwear to wind the awning in. These modern pop ups look great too. I had a beer in @swanseajack13 's it was superb. A bit noisy, but that was just Ray.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I think it depends on what you want from your awning and I get the best of both worlds from my driveaway.

Being an 'air frame' it's fairly quick and easy to put up, it easily connects to and disconnects from my Fiamma canopy, meaning I can drive off at a moment's notice (as long as I'm planning on returning :whistle:) it provides a weather barrier, so I can keep the side door of the van open in poor weather and it provides extra space for when all my friends visit...... Oh wait :doh: Cheap awning anyone ?

I really wouldn't be without it (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There appears to be a lot of funsters not taking out their awnings but using a popup.

Thinking about it.

Pros/ cons?
How/when are you likely to want to use it? If you go to sites/rallies then either would do, but if you wild camp neither would be much good, but a fixed roll out awning/canopy can sometimes be used.

Deleted User
Tried many, many awnings :whew: all with varying pros & cons but now we have one of these & love it despite the colour :) Using good pegs it stood up to strong winds well, packs down small & light into its carry bag, can join two or more together, quick & easy to put up (even in the dark!) & take down, not too expensive & comes with a 2 year warranty:
Link Removed
Have a look at the photos & reviews on the web page.

big_e0ef2910c19f42d89cd9b2d392657143.jpg
We have green one for short trips, it's really quick to deploy. We have it up at York at moment. Best part for us the doors zip down to allow the bottom part to remain closed like a balcony, fab for containing 3 dogs allowing lots of air inside. They have sun protection built in too and we found it to be very cool inside when the sun was beating down a few weeks back, dogs crashed out loved it.

Lin :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
FFF's Quest pop-up'athon and the unfortunate wind out events confirmed my wise decision not get an expensive accessory attached to the van but to go PopUp... so many advantages, can't see any negatives... my only doubt was popping 'em down again with only Kerry for assistance... but that was resolved by multiple demos this morning.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Has anyone any experience of the ParrotSol awning 'screens' where the end panels attach via an expanding pole fitted into the ends of the awning box and the front edge? New to Mhoming and looking for a quick , and simple way to get a bit of shelter from the wind rather than a full blown extra room.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
We are ready for replacing our utility tent . This is our second I am mightily impressed with the blow up types now available. Good posting this, thanks.

georgio

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Has anyone any experience of the ParrotSol awning 'screens' where the end panels attach via an expanding pole fitted into the ends of the awning box and the front edge? New to Mhoming and looking for a quick , and simple way to get a bit of shelter from the wind rather than a full blown extra room.
Many do use those or these panels http://www.windblockers.net/ but wind out awnings have to be wound in in strong winds to avoid damage - even with added straps there is some risk.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Noticed this at Castleton club site at weekend
People storing tables and chairs in them over night[/QUOTE

My Door/Wind Out Awning is too high for a small Inflatable Porch Awning so this is something I've considered, Isn't it the case that Tents are not allowed on CCMC sites? It's only when I'm on these sites that I'd probably use it. It is Tent like!

I'm surprised the Warden didn't turn up?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@jezport on here is yur man at ParrotSol

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I think it depends on what you want from your awning and I get the best of both worlds from my driveaway.

Being an 'air frame' it's fairly quick and easy to put up, it easily connects to and disconnects from my Fiamma canopy, meaning I can drive off at a moment's notice (as long as I'm planning on returning :whistle:) it provides a weather barrier, so I can keep the side door of the van open in poor weather and it provides extra space for when all my friends visit...... Oh wait :doh: Cheap awning anyone ?

I really wouldn't be without it (y)
I totally agree with you, ideal for the kids to have their space (y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Love our 6 sided quest. Survived thunderstorms and high winds. Just make sure you get all the sides for it as well to keep stuff inside dry. Had 8 people and 2 dogs inside ours one night at norfolk show - no problem, room for more.
We do have fixed roll out awning too which is great when its very hot. Like any tent material the quest can get very warm inside in hot sunshine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back