AVIC SATNAV F980DAB (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Bought this brand new a 5 months ago but am unable to do any map updates on it as it can't be done on an apple computer, only windows then it may want to charge me, I dont have windows or know of anyone with windows.

Why do they these things if updates cannot be done, apparently developers are working on it, it has been 5 months now and still no nearer, some out there must be having the same problem, HELP

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
hya - I see your in gods country also, I live in Worcester and have Windows 10 on my laptop and you're quite welcome to come over and try to update on this if you like
cheers

clyde

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thank you. Clyde, will speak to hubby, busy gardening with hire digger for a few days, then we have to clear the mess. Will let you know when posssible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We had one of these installed a year ago and, as it happens, I was just about to update the maps prior to our forthcoming trip to Spain. I thought the first update was free, but it seems this is only true if an update became available within 45 days of our first use of the satnav, so I guess it is going to cost something. It irritates me that every time I cross the new bridge over the Forth (Edinburgh) the satnav thinks we are swimming ;-).

I do have a Windows PC (and a Mac with Windows installed on it too) but having just today installed the Naviextras app I see I need an 8mb memory stick to accomplish the task. I only have a 4mb one so maybe this task will need to be deferred until later in the year. I do hope you installed the memory stick cables or you will have to dig the unit out of its mounting box.

Please keep me posted on your progress...

PS I used to live in Gods country too (Malvern) but eventually I moved to Gods real country (Switzerland), and now live in whiskyland.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Yes, we tried to do this before 45 days but then found out it’s not possible on a Mac, then after that 45 days you have to pay, it’s a bu***r isn’t it. They shouldn’t sell them if they can’t be updated by everyone who purchases on, their not cheap. Can’t even get navi extras. They just take your money.
May as well have kept my old one as when we changed they brought out free updates.
Don’t know about memory stick cables, was correctly installed so hope so, may find out sometime.
We were coming to Switzerland last year but wife had accident and has taken nearly 12 months to get over it, trying again this year, where are you?

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
...where are you?

Perthshire, but planning to be off to Spain soon.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes, we tried to do this before 45 days but then found out it’s not possible on a Mac, then after that 45 days you have to pay, it’s a bu***r isn’t it. They shouldn’t sell them if they can’t be updated by everyone who purchases on, their not cheap. Can’t even get navi extras. They just take your money.
May as well have kept my old one as when we changed they brought out free updates.
Don’t know about memory stick cables, was correctly installed so hope so, may find out sometime.
We were coming to Switzerland last year but wife had accident and has taken nearly 12 months to get over it, trying again this year, where are you?
Why not get your dealer to do the update for you?

To be fair to Pioneer, so few people use Apple in comparison to Windows so it is a tiny issue to them. But as I say get the installing dealer to carry out an update for you. It is the way that we have got round it for customers in the past when we sold Pioneer.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Scotland isn’t ace, go every year.

Because we did not by satnav from dealer who fitted it he is not keen on doing the upgrade. Odd bloke at best of times

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Ditto. Bought from and installed by an individual in Glasgow. However, I’m hoping the update won’t be an issue for me, at least.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Well, I’m dyslectic too, but I can understand Apple computers! Doesnt windows have spell checks?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Wow indeed another reason we no longer stock Pioneer

Save your money and use Google Maps
Or option 2, download Co pilot, pay the small fee to use offline £7 or something like that, Bluetooth the phone to head unit...and voila (assuming that your head unit has Bluetooth facility that is) or just use the phone.
Good luck
Les

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
...we have Co-pilot too. It never agreed routes with our previously-installed Kenwood. But both eventually arrived at the same place.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I’m not going to stump up for map updates on my Avic every couple of years, am now using Sygic offline so that it doesn’t use up my phone data, can’t fault it so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back