Autotrail Imala - red knobs underneath the cooker (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
Hiya

Can anyone tell me what the function of 3 red knobs is that are contained in the space beneath the cooker. One has a dish in an oven picture, next one down a snowflake and bottom one a boiler(?) and a hot tap. Tried to post a photo but not sure if this has worked!
Knobs under cooker.jpg
My handbook is pretty useless. It says "open the drain valve inside the vehicle to empty the water heater and empty the pipework inside the vehicle". But it doesn't tell me where this is located or what it looks like. is it one of the red knobs? Previous motorhome had one of those automatic valves that opened when the temperature dropped below a certain level but I don't think this one does.

Thanks!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Have a look at your motorhome instruction manual if you have one & get to know your systems.
You don't need to be an expert on the motorhome, just able to enjoy your time with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Your drain valve will be close to your boiler. Just follow the pipes along. It will be one of the auto ones you had before or a manual version. Either way the taps above have nothing to do with it, but you should find your drain valve soon before the weather turns really cold in order to drain the water from boiler.

Upvote 0

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
When you find the drain valve, remember to open the sink, washbasin and shower taps to make sure the pipework empties too:xThumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The drain valve is there to prevent the boiler and pipes splitting if the contents get too cold and turn to ice. When water turns to ice it expands. So, In the winter when the van is not in use and before it gets down to around 4 deg Celsius you need to open your taps, make sure your pump is on and drain all the water in your cold water storage tank (and open the outside drain tap to make it quicker. Also, find your drain valve for your boiler and open it so all the water drains out. Do not be concerned about your pump running dry for a few minutes they are designed to do this. Then, when your taps start spluttering with the pump still running take your shower head off, open the shower tap and blow down the pipe to help remove the last of the water remaining in the system. Then switch off the water pump, leave your taps open and that's it for winter. Job Done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaneyBMotorhomer In Hants
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thank you for all your help. PhilandMena - I have already done all the other stuff you suggest except blowing down the shower pipe (will do) but thanks for highlighting it all anyway, it is reassuring.

I understand the red knobs now, obvious really once it is pointed out, doh! As I said, I have read the Imala handbook (useless) and also scanned through and labelled all the other leaflets to do with the boiler, heating, truma controls etc etc etc trying to highlight the important bits. My partner doesn't do this, he never reads any instructions! But I still don't know where the drain valve is. Or the boiler for that matter. I have looked under both bench seats, under the cooker, in the kitchen cupboards but I still cannot locate them and I know what it looks like. In our Adria the boiler and drain valve were easily located under a seat.

I have emailed Autotrial and maybe they don't know either as they haven't got back to me (sorry for the sarcasm!)

From the Combi E leaflet given to me it says "Safety/drain valve with integral frost protection/optional in UK version" so I don't know whether it is an automatic one or not. But I would still open it in any case. Where is it, has it gone on its holidays?! I will try the dealer next, unless anyone can enlighten me. By the way, it is me who sorts all the plumbing out in this house so I do have a vague knowledge of these things.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Crawl under and have a look, or get a small child to do it.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have looked under both bench seats, under the cooker, in the kitchen cupboards but I still cannot locate them and I know what it looks like. In our Adria the boiler and drain valve were easily located under a seat.

Just guessing... but.... it may be a space heater.. if that is the case very little is seen as most of it hangs down under the floor...

If it is under a seat or in the bottom of a cupboard you will find a little bit of piping and a reset knob and the illusive drain down switch/lever thingy...

Took me a while to suss out where it was.. :xdoh:

And I am clever... :xwink::xcool: :xgrin:

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Your drain valve will probably look like this,usually close to the boiler,so you have to open it to drain down the system,it will also automatically open in colder weather to protect the boiler.

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I don't know if the Aussie version is any different but this video shows the boiler and drain valve clearly near the beginning:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks Pete5996 and PhilandMena. Watched this and that is what I was expecting to find - the bit at the beginning - but I haven't got anything like that under my seats, so I am thinking that it may be a space heater (but isn't that rather like an electric fire on the wall somewhere, we don't have one of those, hot air comes out of vents around the motorhome?) as someone else has suggested. But if I have a space heater then what heats the water????

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Success!

The dealer has just confirmed:-

I have just been out to our stock unit the heater is under the bed access from top via lhs of bed under mattress or through the flap on the rear of the vehicle

There isn’t a dump valve as such but a yellow flip switch which is right next to the heater it should be horizontal or in in the down position

We have an Island bed, should have thought of looking under there! Just now have to work out which is the open position, horizontal or down, probably down.

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Easy peasy now, open the valve and look underneath and you will see water being released. Providing these water in the boiler in the first place. Some Funsters use a peg to keep the valve open.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just an update in case anyone else want to know in future. Been down to storage, opened garage/boot and at the front on the right is a blue tube with a yellow valve/switch in the middle. Pull the yellow switch to the upright position and the water will drain out onto the ground just near your right foot - as it did, not much but there is a bit.

It does not have one of those automatic switches that open when it is cold. You must remember to do it yourself before the cold weather starts. Also remember to close it before you fill up with water next time.

Thanks to all!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Glad you got it sorted, helpful lot on here and well done dealer for getting back to you.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Just an update in case anyone else want to know in future. Been down to storage, opened garage/boot and at the front on the right is a blue tube with a yellow valve/switch in the middle. Pull the yellow switch to the upright position and the water will drain out onto the ground just near your right foot - as it did, not much but there is a bit.

It does not have one of those automatic switches that open when it is cold. You must remember to do it yourself before the cold weather starts. Also remember to close it before you fill up with water next time.

Thanks to all!
Which Imala is it? cheers

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Hi its great that you have come back found and given the solution to your original problem you were asking about . That solution will be on here for ever helping others with the same questions .
Well done for following your problem through.:xThumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back