LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The regulation doesn't state "turn it off " but " do not use it". Same as no fuel if lights on or engine running. mandatory requirements that are taught to all fuel station operatives.

So why do they ;BP, teach operatives, " No phones, no lights & engine switched off ?
If he has investigated them & states that then why does he not state categorically that mobile phones caused NONE of them ? Because he cannot ,he doesn't know 100%.

They do Radio frequency is part of what you are taught re; assessing risk.
& it does. That's why engines are not permitted to be on when filling with fuel.

P.s. Whilst I agree that the risk is quite low it is better to be safe than sorry & here it will cost you a 90€ fine.

A reason why a certain oil company are a bit strict about H&S........

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Coincidence usually proven to be static electricity discharge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My late cousin, Dave Larsen, was one of the prime developers of mobile phone technology so I asked him about this many years ago. He told me it was nonsense that having a switched on mobile n a petrol forecourt was dangerous.
The UKPIA position is summarised Here. Note the similar advice.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well I tried lighting my hob with it but it's just not having any :(

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
gus-lopez
In Spain last winter while I was being filled up, the attendant was also talking to the kiosk using a mobile radio. There was a notice on the pump saying switch off mobile phones, etc.. I queried this and he showed my a notice on the back of the radio, saying it was approved for use in fuel filling stations. This was on the road from Garrucha to Vera.

RF is the same, no matter if the device is approved or not, so it must have been sealed against spark emissions.

It was said at one time that some earlier pumps could be upset by the radios frequency output and give false meter readings. True or false I do not know.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry if my post a bit behind times, not been on forum for a while, but re the opening post... Autogas 2000 in Thirsk sorted my refillable gas locker out for me recently and I have nothing but praise for them..... Efficient, friendly, helpful and welcoming.... Overnight stay in their premises if you want with ehu ... cup of coffee in the morning.... amazing staff and owners.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The biggest hazard is anything that produces a spark. this potentially could be the wearing of 2 dissimilar articles of clothing! Nylons AND fur coats? (knickers optional?).

On a serious note. When I was on Tank ships in the 70`s we used ALL spark suppressed tools when working on the cargo deck area`s. Whoa betide us if we where "caught" on deck with a Steel Spanner!!. Could be a "log book" job!

Pete

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Our local Shell station offers free WiFi. Of course, when surfing the internet using your smartphone, you aren't using it as a phone, are you!

The other change since the original regulation is that the transmission power dropped markedly with the advent of digital rather than analogue phones. But presumably the concern must always have been about whether a phone could trigger a spark in some way? That would suggest there is as much if not more danger inherent in the act of switching it off as in leaving it turned on.

Advice in the case of a gas leak is not to operate switches - either on of off.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
the main thing for mobile phones in forecourts is that they are not classed as intrinsically safe so may spark if the battery shorts. when working on petchem plants no mobiles or battery powered items unless they were the company radios, which were spark suppressed. also had to de-static before entering some building

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Using a phone on a service forecourt will soon be common place ..

Been here for donkeys years, always used to do mine at my local service station.. Still illegal to use phone though.Also if caught it is not only a fine ,200€, but points deduction as well.

gus-lopez
In Spain last winter while I was being filled up, the attendant was also talking to the kiosk using a mobile radio. There was a notice on the pump saying switch off mobile phones, etc.. I queried this and he showed my a notice on the back of the radio, saying it was approved for use in fuel filling stations. This was on the road from Garrucha to Vera.

RF is the same, no matter if the device is approved or not, so it must have been sealed against spark emissions.

It was said at one time that some earlier pumps could be upset by the radios frequency output and give false meter readings. True or false I do not know.
As long as they are intrinsically safe models they are ok. We used to have pagers at the refinery.
As above , leave your lights on & engine running & you can lose all your points & licence ! :LOL: " Filling with fuel incorrectly" is the offence.:LOL:
Yet to see one fined though.
The biggest hazard is anything that produces a spark. this potentially could be the wearing of 2 dissimilar articles of clothing! Nylons AND fur coats? (knickers optional?).

On a serious note. When I was on Tank ships in the 70`s we used ALL spark suppressed tools when working on the cargo deck area`s. Whoa betide us if we where "caught" on deck with a Steel Spanner!!. Could be a "log book" job!

Pete
Exactly & I have a tool box full of bronze hammers, spanners, & copper scrapers.
Additionally anything liable to generate a spark by even being dropped had to be left outside . Keys, money ,etc.

Here's some " how to lose your licence whilst parked up " offences.

http://noticias.coches.com/consejos/las-20-multas-que-pueden-ponerte-sin-estar-conduciendo/145012

No:2 + clink link at bottom :D
Sorry they are in spanish

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
the main thing for mobile phones in forecourts is that they are not classed as intrinsically safe so may spark if the battery shorts. when working on petchem plants no mobiles or battery powered items unless they were the company radios, which were spark suppressed. also had to de-static before entering some building
And that is exactly the teachings I received, when in the Fire Service Andy. (y)
Our Breathing Apparatus torches were intrinsically safe, but our radio pack sets weren't, (too costly apparently, but our explosimeters were :LOL: ) so couldn't be used at incidents involving gases or vapours in enclosed spaces. Things may have changed since then...........hopefully.

Unless equipment is marked with the correct logo, it cannot be used in hazardous areas.
EXV.jpg

If you can afford it, perhaps one of these is the way to go. ;-)
https://www.pixavi.com/product/mobile-devices/intrinsically-safe-smartphone/

Back on topic, @Ambilkate glad to see that you are sorted. If it wasn't safe or within the fitting regs, Autogas 2000 wouldn't have mounted the filler point where they have. Happy heating and cooking with all that cheaper gas. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks @ JockandRita we have just had a good weekend away Solars all working great gas fantastic been as snug as a bug and not had to worry about running out of gas :) had a few pot holes to negotiate on our travels and speed bumps no probs at all :) heading home know though :(

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks @JockandRita we have just had a good weekend away Solars all working great gas fantastic been as snug as a bug and not had to worry about running out of gas :) had a few pot holes to negotiate on our travels and speed bumps no probs at all :) heading home know though :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back