Anyone run a cable under a Fiat PVC from rear to dashboard? (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I want to run a new video cable for a rear facing camera from the rear PVC door to the dashboard.

I don’t want to mess with the internal fittings, much easier to run under the van but how do I get it into the cab to the dashboard.

To save scrabbling around under the van has anyone done it and what was your route into the dashboard area?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You can remove the step cover on the drivers side, just a few screws.
Thats what i did on previous vans for fitting air suspension and also where the towbar guy ran wires up into the dash. (y)
Look on youtube there may be a video to show whats under there. Been a while since i did mine so cant remember the bolt locations.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Through the battery compartment Is the easy way and then behind all the plastic where the drop down thing is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I went through the battery compartment to the outside then zip tied the cable to the chassis on my Fiat A Class - battery compartment should be the same. From the battery compartment its easy to find a route up to the dash.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Our camera was wired like this - under the van from rear to front and then up inside the drivers step.

Pretty much impossible to find the entry point from under the van. I can only assume a cable rod was pushed through with lots of wiggling from inside out, and then the cable attached to pull through.

I did replace the camera and cable earlier this year, I pulled the new cable through using the old, wondered how it was initially done at that point!

Going via the battery box would likely be easier unless you were lucky with the cable rod!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If all else fails follow the rear brake lines then in through an existing bulkhead grommet.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Did this about 3 months or so ago to run various cables from front of the van to the rear, including reversing camera cables. Ran them all within split conduit. To get into the front of the cab (UK driver's side) from underneath there is a rubber grommet that can be removed from underneath. This gives access to poke a cable through to under the plastic internal step cover (lots of OEM Fiat cables already located here). You can then go under the plastic internal trim that covers the wheel arch and up into the side of the dashboard behind the fuse box flap. Alternatively go from the step cover, then under the drivers seat, through the cab battery box and up into the dash centrally (adjacent to where the airbag module is located) which makes accessing the rear of the radio fairly easy (if you remove the map holder assembly above the radio to give easy access from above first).

It's easier to do it, than write about it! 👍😀

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I cable tied the wiring to chassis from the rear and once I'd got the cables up via the driver's footwell through an existing hole I fed them up behind the trim over the wheel arch. The power cable then went under the dash behind the driver's little shelf to the rear of the drop down centre storage unit, then into it and out of it's front nearside corner so it could be plugged into the 12v socket (I didn't want a permanent connection). As we had a rear view mirror mounted monitor the AV lead was taken up underneath the off-side A-pillar cover, along the top behind the cab blinds/overhead storage, then down to the mirror. The hardest part was ensuring the cable was secured correctly behind the mirror so it still allowed the cab blinds to close in the centre!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As a couple of others have said up through the battery box, really easy no holes required and you have direct access from there up behind the dash.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I used the drivers side footwell route for rear cameras then up wheelarch to A piller (as minxy) upto mirror mounted display. On the way is the fusebox to the left for any power requirements and the little cubby to put any switches. cubby.jpg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
One other thing. To feed cables through chassis rails, behind trims, or behind the dashboard, one of these is invaluable. The claws grab cables really firmly. Useful for lots of other purposes too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used the drivers side footwell route for rear cameras then up wheelarch to A piller (as minxy) upto mirror mounted display. On the way is the fusebox to the left for any power requirements and the little cubby to put any switches.View attachment 838140
That's just reminded me! I later put a double 12v socket there to put the 12v plug into as our dogs then couldn't accidentally pull it out/damage it when in the centre dash socket which our heffalump Romy did and broke the plug!

Mentioned stuff on this website I did ... first the camera install then further down for the sockets.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Found a picture of my rear cam cable route to outside via the battery box.

If you losen the bolt holding the battery restrainer there is a vent hole big enough to feed the cable through.

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back