Any top tips for camping in -20 temps (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hey ... why are you getting grumpy now ? YOU asked ... I only gave an opinion (as I already said) according to what you've given us as infos : You never said in the first post you would be on a site with electricity : you said your heaters were working with ehu ...or not!... I didn't even realise when you spoke about campsite owners that it meant you would be on a site but then it's not your fault ... just me who didn't get it all. Then you ask for tips but you obviously have all (snow chains ..etc..)and you mention family.... so I thought tips are not only asked for motorhome but for children as well ... otherwise why mention them???? If you had only said WE and not I ... I guess we would all have understood you were talking about other members of the family.
Now do I consider you putting your child at any form of risk ? Well I am very sorry to tell you that I know nothing about you. I know a lot of people who do ... but they don't even realise it. I would not make a guess about you, I just see the post and what it's asking for. We are all different and react differently. You know everything about yourself and your capacities (Still I don't get why you're asking then) about how good is your van, I don't.

And BTW ..... childminders deserve all respect my dear... they have such responsabilities with all these little lives to care ... I am not sure that you and your knowledge would stand such an every day stress, every single second is a potential danger!

Have a very nice time in cold as in warmth . I will be very careful next time not to try to be helpfull when I'll see your username. As far as I am concerned ... end of discussion.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Edit: And just in case you wonder why babies are so important to me ... One thing you don't know about me : I had 7 pregnancies for 8 babies (my daughter is the rescued one of twins) ... and only 2 alive ! But ..... you could not know could you??? No one knows nothing about other people unless they are told!!

This is a motorhome website, i came here asking for motorhome advise, not advise on my kids.

Just a word of advise, parents do tend to get grumpy when people on the internet start to tell them how to bring their kids up with only half of the facts!

If I see your name i won't be deterred from giving advise, that would be very childish.

Have a nice day:Cool:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This is a motorhome website, i came here asking for motorhome advise, [HI]not advise on my kids[/HI].

Just a word of advise, parents do tend to get grumpy when people on the internet start to tell them how to bring their kids up with only half of the facts!

If I see your name i won't be deterred from giving advise, that would be very childish.

If its advice on motorhomes you wanted fine, but there was a reference to your kids, so why mention them, you asked for advice you got it, motorhome and kids.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
If its advice on motorhomes you wanted fine, but there was a reference to your kids, so why mention them, you asked for advice you got it, motorhome and kids.

Always one to give it another stir hey ShiftZZ:Doh:

Listen, if people want to give advise on my kids make it constructive, not give it the biggun saying your a feckin childminder and make reference to volume:Surface area ratio based heat loss/gain comments.

I know how to survive in most conditions and how to prepare, I wanted any TIPS not smart arsed comments about looking after kids.

If anyone else wants to continue this less than constructive thread please PM me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
We wish you well, one thing we would say the Auto-trail has very little in the form of being winterised, the cab area will be freezing which will send a draught right through the motorhome, perhaps a heavy curtain to seal the cab off will help, certainly screen covers like the silver screen or taylor made will help.
Keeping water from freezing will be the biggest challange, the outlet of pipes are the weakest points.
Good luck and have a wonderful time.:thumb:

Cab is always baltic, we usually drape a queeen size duvet under the above cab bed covering the cab seats, sealing any nasty draughts from entering the living space.

Also carry flares, day&night rocket and smoke, VHF radios, most other conceivable survival equipment including -40degree sleeping bags. (expedition kayaker)!!! - for those who are concerned about not planning for the worst.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

Listen, if people want to give advise on my kids make it constructive, not give it the biggun saying your a feckin childminder and make reference to volume:Surface area ratio based heat loss/gain comments.

[HI]I know how to survive in most conditions and how to prepare[/HI], I wanted any TIPS not smart arsed comments about looking after kids.

If anyone else wants to continue this less than constructive thread please PM me.

Why ask then?

Frankie was trying to help, why she bothered is beyond me,,,

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There's lots of infants rolling in the snow in the Alps each year! You see them in their snowsuits in the snow garden at the creche when you are skiing!

One of these might be useful!:thumb:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Why ask then?

Frankie was trying to help, why she bothered is beyond me,,,

Because asking for tips for people who HAVE done it is always worth while. NOT the tip, not to take my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please ShiftZZ if you insist on dwelling on the matter, don't, unless you have something constructive to add.

Im sure there are other threads for you to wind people up on

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
There's lots of infants rolling in the snow in the Alps each year! You see them in their snowsuits in the snow garden at the creche when you are skiing!

One of these might be useful!:thumb:

There are some cracking deals to be had at Aldi, we got some additional thermals and snow suits the other day.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
To go back on topic, I would say your Autotrail might suffer prolonged sub-zero temperatures.

If you are on a site and have facilities there, it won't be as bad as if you were off-grid. It might be worth taking a container or two for water in case your system freezes.
Also that water might be useful for flushing the toilet too. In our last van, the cassette toilet wasn't very sell insulated and the flush tank would freeze.

I believe your holding tank should be OK. P**S and S**T has a lower freezing point then water alone! Besides, it's nicely warmed up before you deposit it!:roflmto:

Another consideration is the health of your starter battery. It might be worth ensuring it is kept charged whilst on hookup. A cold battery will lack performance and if it is partially discharged, you might be asking for a jump start after several days!:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi All

We're planning xmas and new year in the Scottish highlands and have been advised by the campsite owners to expect temperatures of -20!

We camp through the winter in the MH but are there any good to know tips that I should be made aware of for such extremes.

We've got snow chains and loads of heaters that run off ehu as well as the on board gas heating.

Family of 4, 2 adults a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

Many Thanks

Nick

Nick,

I have read these posts with interest and I have to say that you did ask for advice and you were not specific that it should be exclusive. I do not know Frankie but I have to say that she always appears very kind and gentle in her posts.........I do think you have been a little harsh in some of your replies.

I do not know ShiftZZ either but his remarks were fair.

I think that sometimes the problem with the 'written word' is that interpretation is everything. I am sure that people on here have not intended to insult you or hurt your feelings, you asked for advice and you were given advice. There is some truth in the saying 'if you don't like the answer, maybe best not to ask the question'.

Sorry Nick but that's my tuppence worth

:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A simple well placed ::bigsmile::Smile::ROFLMAO::Doh:::thumb: can make a world of difference to a post/thread :winky:
Terry

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
it's not the the north south pole you are gowing to it the north of scotland if it get's to bad just bookin some whare.
but ther will be plenty of coald night's to try out your van at your front door sleep in it in your garden and if youre cold thare your gowing to be cold up thar.
but just makesure you can start youre van any time night or day if you have blown air heting get sum of the hot air in to the engine compartment and wast water tank 1.5" to 2" hose works fine old hover hose size just branch off from yore duching just keep engin compart ment arownd 1deg or abuve with out compomising hab heet good luck and thanks for the aldi tip:thumb:
BQ do a range of lagging have a look the bubble wrap type works good for us and aluminium duckt tape.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nick,

I have read these posts with interest and I have to say that you did ask for advice and you were not specific that it should be exclusive. I do not know Frankie but I have to say that she always appears very kind and gentle in her posts.........I do think you have been a little harsh in some of your replies.

I think that sometimes the problem with the 'written word' is that interpretation is everything. I am sure that people on here have not intended to insult you or hurt your feelings, you asked for advice and you were given advice. There is some truth in the saying 'if you don't like the answer, maybe best not to ask the question'.

I'm not taking sides, but I do know where Nick is coming from..
there is a world of difference in giving advice, a top tip.. and having an opinion ..

He asked for 'top tips' for camping in -20 , not an opinion about taking a baby..

I recall asking for advice before we went full time with our two children..
I got a lot of good advice and 'top tips' .... but someone had the 'opinion' that we shouldn't do it as it would deprive our daughter from her school education..
This was an opinion from someone who had never tried home educating or indeed full timing , nor had even asked before voicing their opinion how we would manage that. So what did they know..?

Like I said, I am not taking sides, I'm sure Frankie posted in good faith and with the best intentions, not to offend or start a spat.

that's my tuppence worth ... I'm just trying to see the coin from both sides.. :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi All

We're planning xmas and new year in the Scottish highlands and have been advised by the campsite owners to expect temperatures of -20!

We camp through the winter in the MH but are there any good to know tips that I should be made aware of for such extremes.

We've got snow chains and loads of heaters that run off ehu as well as the on board gas heating.

Many Thanks

Nick

A 6 month old child in -20 conditions?

You must be a bad parent:Angry:

:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Best tip I know for anyone contemplating camping in -20......is head south as quickly as possible. Thats from experience :winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Nick,

That was very well put in my opinion,

Nick the lady tried to give you advice in the best interests of yourself and children,your reply was rude and uncalled for and then you go on to complain about anyone who posts and agrees with her.
If you want people to help try to be less aggressive in your posts its called FUN:Doh:
Just because you do not think taking a small baby in minus20 conditions wrong does not make you correct in others eyes you asked for our opinion on your post, mine is you need to apologise to Frankie for your tone

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Enjoy your trip, we're spending a week round New Year at the Grantown on Spey site, handy for the Hogmanay party in the square.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Having an C class ive found lack of heating and cold draughs in cab area to be a real let down
Ive looked at fitting in an extra heater in cab but been put off by costs/fitting, so decided to improve on whats there.
Ive taped over all door cab vents,put bubble wrap where seat belt reels are,re routed another hab heater vent into cab,and fitted a computor fan in line to pull through more warm air.
Traced through heater trunking and sealed many leaks most off which were there to heat underfloor lockers and tanks,too much heat lost as garage was like a sauna.
The easy draught to cure was nothing more simple than shutting off cab heater vent controls (how many off us dont when parking up?)
Also found the large roof vent had only half a seal for ventilation so (as many do)so that was fully sealed.
Does seem better but havent had - 20 yet
HTH
Tony:thumb:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Cab is always baltic, we usually drape a queeen size duvet under the above cab bed covering the cab seats, sealing any nasty draughts from entering the living space.

Also carry flares, day&night rocket and smoke, VHF radios, most other conceivable survival equipment including -40degree sleeping bags. (expedition kayaker)!!! - for those who are concerned about not planning for the worst.

why do it to yourselves?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We seem to have gone off topic, and this thread went a bit sub zero...however.....

[HI]This is a motorhome website,[/HI] i came here asking for motorhome advise, not advise on my kids.

Actually this is so much more than a "Motorhome Website"

Listen, if people want to give advise on my kids make it constructive,[HI] not give it the biggun saying your a feckin childminder[/HI] and make reference to volume:Surface area ratio based heat loss/gain comments.

Certainly not the friendliest choice of words I have heard on here......

I know how to survive in most conditions and how to prepare,[HI] I wanted any TIPS not smart arsed comments[/HI] about looking after kids.

Seems you did not really want any tips, as you went on to tell us...
"Also carry flares, day&night rocket and smoke, VHF radios, most other conceivable survival equipment including -40degree sleeping bags. (expedition kayaker)!!! - for those who are concerned about not planning for the worst"
With your -40 degree sleeping bags all should be well, my one TIP would be just take care not to set your pyrotechnics off whilst still inside the van...:winky:

As for "smart assed comments", that is something I have never ever heard from Frankie, only well intended helpful contributions and genuine concern towards other Funsters, which of course you are free to ignore if you so wish...

Sadly Nick, your rather "short tempered" replies, to people whose only crime was trying to help you, led directly to the demise of this thread.

That said, I hope you have a great New Year, you will certainly be in a great part of the country... Have FUN.
.......:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do you really think I would even consider putting my child at any form of risk?

I have a considerable better understanding of homeostasis and the role of medulla oblongata than a Childminder(1990), including signs symptoms and more importantly as a PARENT being able to first hand monitor behaviour changes. Preventing such things in the first place is key. If my van isn't up to it i would know by now, we've spent the last 5 years away at new year in cumbria, althought the temps were a little less severe certaily -10 at times, i spend most nights in my undies with no covers on because its too hot

Please anyone don't take this the wrong way but, I am not about to start molly coddling my kids and keeping them wrapped up in cotton wool.

Be prepared and prepare them well.

Oh by the way, the first child was with us in Edinburgh camping at 3 weeks old, hes still fine and the stump is healing well!!:whatthe:

Does this one win Patronising Post of the year?

It should do.

What an over reaction.:Doh::RollEyes:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This is all rather silly!

Does anyone seriously think that it will be -20 for 24/7 in the Highlands???:Eeek:

Even more astounding is the fact that people seem to think a child is going to be recklessly exposed to the elements! I did check the original post and it mentioned nothing of them being from Sparta, where it was tradition to leave your kid out on the mountain so that only the strong survived! I think the kid will be quite safe on that account.:winky:

I think the tone of threads criticizing the OP for daring to take his family on adventurous trips all a bit 'nanny state'!
How many of you lot constantly complain about that sort of thing in the U--Shaped lounge?:Doh:

Those being critical of the OP's holiday plans might be better taking your crusade to the ski resorts of the French alps. There are plenty of 'wreckless' parents of toddlers there to advise of their bad parenting.

Despite the fact it is a poorly-winterised Brit van, a hooked-up Autotrail will cope with those conditions just fine, I don't think we'll be having any hypothermia cases in this instance, just frozen external pipes!

I can understand the Op's frustration about having their parenting questioned however, if I were honest, I wish my parents had done stuff like that with me on holidays!

Sorry if this offends anyone, it's not meant to, but I'm of the opinion that kids need adventure in their lives a lot more than a trip to a Haven or Butlins.:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
This is all rather silly!

I think we can all agree on that :thumb: Might be time for Jim to close this one down perhaps?

As I have read so many times now........this is supposed to be motorhomeFUN ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

(sorry for the early post, waking up before the sparrows again :Angry:)

:Smile::Smile::Smile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi All

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

I ran a caravan storage site on Tyneside and stayed overnight in a 1976 Fairhome Goldfinch Caravan there during the winter of 1982 wnen it was below -20c for a couple of weeks and not much higher for a month.

British caravans were not built for 24/7/365 use. I had a Carver SB1800 going full blast day and night. I also used the 2 gas lights as they gave off heat as well. I covered the single bed with a sleeping bag. Then put the one I sleep in on top. That was covered by another bag tucked in in both sides. I then had a blanket over everything and my coat over that.

I had my water container on the bench above the fridge and despite the heat from that and the fire It still froze at the top. I was lucky to have a 3kw diesel generator running again 24/7 so had a fan heater on 1kw hanging from the top of the wardrobe door to move the heat from the ceiling back towards the floor. I had a water heater with pilot light running 24/7 just to stop it freezing and bursting. I had to light the oven to get the van warm every morning. The kettle was full of icy slush on top of the cooker.

It was very cold but I survived.

I now live full time in my Hymer S700 but head for Spain in the winter months.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
A couple of points.

Firstly I agree that I may have over reacted, however as supported by other funsters I was after any tips not to be called a bad parent.

As also stated, we will not be in a tent nor walking round in -20, these are possible night time lows, to which I am preparing for using additional tips from helpful people.

We have hook up, multiple heaters and access to numerous hotels should the situation deteriorate to unacceptable levels.

We go away in our van all year round every year, so this is not summer campers taking a risk.

I go away in my van without EHU to bike races in the Welsh mountains duting the winter months with no issues so I have confidence in the normal sub-zero range with addditional precations and some slight modifications I have full confidence in my van

People who just type bad parent are not constructive and should really not make comments like that, that is not a tip it is an unsubtantiated opinion and causes offence. I bring my kids up allowing them to enjoy life and enjoy our surroundings 365 days a year.

Thank you to everyone who has added some great tips and ideas, sorry to those who I may have offended, this was not my intention, however branding people bad parents without knowing me or all of the facts tends to get peoples back-up.

As for the most condescending post, sorry, but is there a prize:Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you scroll down my "bad parent " post you will come across a :ROFLMAO: if you look closely.:Doh:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Having read this thread this morning

I think an apology is due to Frankie, who happens to be a very caring and helpful person, she has helped funsters that have needed help when in her country on holiday going above and beyond in order to do so.
You mentioned your children so she replied with knowledge she has. Unlike the UK where it is relatively easy to become a child minder it is not the same in france there you cant just decide to do it, it is more entailed and you have to know such things as she told you.
Also please bear in mind Frankies first language is French not English, which is a language she has learned because she 'likes' us English, not because she had to for a job, yet her posts are faultless.

Maggie

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Firstly I agree that I may have over reacted

I'm glad you have made peace in this thread, reading it today for the first time I can see it got a bit heated. This time of year threads can get a bit awry:RollEyes:, Lets's hope that's the end of it.

Meanwhile Should you ever use the word fecking while referring to any other funster again, I might over react too, there is no need for reactions like that here. Thanks.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
If you scroll down my "bad parent " post you will come across a :ROFLMAO: if you look closely.:Doh:

No problem at all.

I have really taken everyones tips and opinions on board and have just spend a fortune on hand warmers etc so again thanks for all the input.

Im off for my over reactive therapy session now!!:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back