Any tips to stop motorbike and push-bike thieves? (1 Viewer)

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Just wondering if anyone has any good tips to foil thieves of bikes and motorbikes?

I'm asking because I've just had my motorscooter and electric bike stolen from Tredegar House campsite in Newport, South Wales, where I am staying as a full-timer.

I never dreamt my bikes could be stolen. We are within a camping compound, surrounded by thick trees and a 2m wire fence and locked gates. The scooter had the steering lock engaged, a clamp lock on the front disc brake, a flat battery and also my e-bike was chained to it with an Oxford ‘’Monster Lock’’. I thought no way it could be taken. The only way to take it would be to pick it all up together and carry it away, all 200+ kgs of it - ha, ha! As if that could happen. But that is exactly what they did. The CCTV caught two of them coming onto the site, but they went for help and about six young men picked up the whole ensemble and silently carried it away - lifted a ranch fence out of the ground to get past it, then dragged it all across a field, cut through the wire fence and out into the woods. I followed the trail in the morning and found my motorbike and the remnants of the chain lock - cut through with an angle grinder with the remnants left on the ground. The e-bike was long gone, but the scooter had defeated them - they’d busted open the front fairing to get at the locking mechanism and broken it, but they went too far and snapped the steering column, so although the handle bars would turn, the front wheel would not turn in unison. And even if they hadn’t snapped the steering column, it wouldn’t have started with the flat battery. I’d only discovered the flat battery the day before and gone to ASDA to get a battery charger to sort it and it was only when I went to charge it early the next morning that I realised it was missing. Although the thing was covered in smudges and prints from six people carrying it, the local police felt it ''not worth'' doing any CSI on it and the insurance company said it sounds like they will write it off, which surprised me. They are sending an assessor to look at it, but she said it sounds like a goner. So I'm over two grand down - 700 quid excess on my motorbike insurance and total loss of 1350 quid on the brand-new leccy bike. I phoned the club to see if my van insurance would cover my leccy bike, but they said that only bikes INSIDE your van are covered and then only to the value of 500 pounds. I ask you, who keeps their bikes INSIDE their motorhomes? What a swiz.

The only thing I can think to do differently in the future is to somehow secure both bike and motorbike TO the actual motorhome itself, so they can't be physically carried away and any angle-grinder-type theft would involve noise right next to me.

Any suggestions, folks?

Cheers,

Mick

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry to hear of you loss,
Can’t offer any help other than as you say locking to the motorhome with the best chain but they could still cut that.

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
thanks for the condolences. Yes, they could cut through the chain, but they'd have to use an angle grinder to cut through a monster lock and I'd hear them if it was attached to the motorhome. Whereas in this first case, they carried it all off far away enough so I couldn't hear the angle grinder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
What the police really mean is that they know exactly who did it and where to find them, but don't fancy the confrontation.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
To be honest I don't think you could do much more. A alarm might help.But if there were 6 of them and you had confronted them would you fancy taking 6 on.You see motorbike thefts in the daylight and they usually have a weapon e.g. hammer and are not scared to use it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Securing the scooter & bike to something unmovable can help.
If the bike is portable but locked to it self or in your example something else portable, the thief will take the lot to remove locks at their leisure.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Sorry to hear - astonishing that 6 blokes would risk all that for an electric bike ...but then they are absolute scrotes. ....
As other have said, if the Growler alarm had gone off as soon as they lifted it, it would take some front to keep going ....whilst you filmed it and called plod ...

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry for your loss. Don’t know what else you could have done.

Unless you are Jack Reacher wave them good bye.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ex thieves advise to get an alarmed disc lock. I've got the biggest one that will fit on the disc, oxford stainless steel thing with a 14mm pin. Anybody moves it all hell breaks loose ??

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Are there any traveller camps nearby?
Plus I would check out the nearest council estate to see if anyone is riding around on your bike. Was the battery installed?
I would also put the cctv footage on local Facebook and offer a reward for return of the bike. Might tempt someone.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I always chain things to something, otherwise, as you found to your cost, they can be carried away.

A friend stayed with me for 6 months many years ago, we had our motorbikes outside the house, both with locks through the back wheel, he went away one weekend, I went out one morning, something looked different ........ only one bike!

Called him wondering how the bike could have moved with him 200 miles away .......

Always chain to something since that day.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Are there any traveller camps nearby?
Plus I would check out the nearest council estate to see if anyone is riding around on your bike. Was the battery installed?
I would also put the cctv footage on local Facebook and offer a reward for return of the bike. Might tempt someone.

Wow, nothing like generalisation.

Would you go in to a "traveller camp" all guns blazing, or even the nearest "council estate" ?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have sympathy for your predicament & your loss of kit

As others have suggested, a big chain connected to something solid would slow the thieves down, but if you were to hear an angle grinder in the middle of the night, what would you do if faced with 6 of them?

My van design was partly due to ensuring my kit isn't stolen, but nothing is 100% secure

IMG_1114.JPG

Last edited:

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Wow, nothing like generalisation.

Would you go in to a "traveller camp" all guns blazing, or even the nearest "council estate" ?
Have you ever been on a site? Or a shady council estate?

Just saw your from Surrey so probably not ? ??

It's the first place I'd look

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Have you ever been on a site? Or a shady council estate?

Just saw your from Surrey so probably not ? ??

It's the first place I'd look

Sussex, not Surrey.

If the Police aren't going in to a "Traveller camp" or "the nearest council estate" with stab vests, tasers and whatever, I'm sure as hell not!! That was what I was getting at, we all know where things are likely to be.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I have no experience with motorbikes, but with your electric bike, take off the battery and chain it, with a quality chain, to the motorhome, our american RV has a hole in the hitch receiver for just that. Also if it has quick release, which I personally don't like then take off the front wheel or saddle.

Also fit something like this. Cheap I know but they work and make a noise.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=233195841664

Mine had a hissy fit as we loaded onto the train at the tunnel. In the train it sounded like hell was going off till I sorted it out. :rofl:

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Makes me think that having a tow bar fitted, would provide a strong point for chains etc.?

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I don’t suggest an alarm l, so that people can wake up and fists flying, tackle groups of youths
I believe alarms often work because thieves don’t like being watched whilst they work .... that’s one of the reasons why they operate at night.
Not saying all thieves are deterred but all but the most brazen will find a softer target than risked being watched and or filmed whilst they’re at work ...

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
cameras seem to be a waste of time as the police are not interested in even viewing them and the scrotes just wear a scarf and hoody and wave at the cameras my mate caught four blokes attempting to open his van with crowbars but could do nothing and they just drove of he had film of them and the number plate of the car
police response no crime committed case closed

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I just asked the question, was their a traveller site nearby? I didn't suggest going in all guns blazing, just Re read please.
Ps not lost my bike o_O

So what was the point of your comment?

"Are there any traveller camps nearby?
Plus I would check out the nearest council estate to see if anyone is riding around on your bike. "

If someone is riding around on the missing property, what is going to happen?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back