Any Funsters on the aire overlooking Bilbao at present? (1 Viewer)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Trundling around N Spain after the GP last weekend, I've just arrived at the aire and there are a few Brit MHs scattered around the site. Wondered if there were any Funsters amongst them by chance?

Several trips down the east coast and across to the west over the past couple of years and I've yet to see a Funster sticker or meet any members.

Are we a rare breed?

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
No but I know the site you are at and am soooo jealous. Sitting here in NI in the rain. Make sure you buy a basque sheep sticker for the back of your Motorhome!! My very favourite place to go in our Motorhome, the North of Spain is fantastic! San Sebastián etc.

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
No but I know the site you are at and am soooo jealous. Sitting here in NI in the rain. Make sure you buy a basque sheep sticker for the back of your Motorhome!!

Sounds risky - people could start talking!:D

I'm catching the bus into town in the morning and I'll have a look, ta(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Just to rub it in, here's a pic from the pitch. Sunny but there's a chilly breeze here....:cool:

20190520_161403.jpg

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
Oh Pete, why did you have to do that. Rub it in why don’t you!

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Sorry - feeling a bit mischievous tonight - just stepped out and snapped this...:LOL:

20190520_215942_001.jpg

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
Absolutely lovely. If you are in no rush back check out Zarautz. It’s a really nice place (a lot of retired Greeks!!). About 90 minutes from where you are now but worth the drive or journey by train. Donostia is also beautiful and the Chapel in the centre is breathtaking, not to mention the fish restaurants at the pier there. Although obviously every town by the sea has great fish restaurants. My poor fish loving husband is restricted by me, I’m more of a pepper burger and chip kind of girl! Cheap date though!

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
My very favourite place to go in our Motorhome, the North of Spain is fantastic! San Sebastián etc.

I've been to San Sebastian a couple of times when nipping over from France and it has a touch of the 'Victorian' seaside resort about it, which is delightful, but no further west until this trip. Spent the (rather chilly) weekend in Potes in the Picos de Europa and today driven north through the gorge and along the A8. That autovia is set in beautiful countryside, matching the A89 through the Auvergne.

Heading back to my base in the Lot on Wednesday as mine and the neighbours' lawns need cutting but I'll be back. NW Spain is a green gem!

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t know why it’s so overlooked - well I do actually, the weather can be hit and miss but that’s why it’s green I suppose! Like here. And it’s a bit dearer than the south but a price worth paying.

The roads are superb aren’t they! You’ll pass by Donostia and Xarautz on your way back home. I shouldn’t promote it too much really or next time I go there will be no room for me!

Just think If you got yourself a gardener you could stay for longer!! Look at the view now with the sun setting - I bet it’s breathaking!

Jammy sod!

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
There’s a lovely site on top of a hill there called Gran Camping Zarautz. (Not the Talaimemsi site) The views are simply spectacular. We found it many years ago when we got lost. Just if you were ever interested in overnighting. The promenade is really nice with fab (non burger) restaurants and if you go alllllll the way to the bottom of the promenade near the base of the hill you may be fortunate enough to see some bathers in the nip. Zarautz is also extremely popular for surfers too if you like surfing. Enjoy your day!

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Snap ! Last September, had a great time !

Attachments

• 4E7B2D49-60B1-440E-B949-596FDB920A47.jpeg
    4E7B2D49-60B1-440E-B949-596FDB920A47.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 23
Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
Pete, I can’t believe you found one! Much respect! You’ve made my evening. Absolutely wonderful.

My sheep are not so glamorous or colourful - they lack your stripes but I shall make it my mission next time I go to add a sticker as fine as yours to my current selection of Basque/Northern Spain sheep!

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
Snap ! Last September, had a great time !

It’s a superb spot! I miss their food ..... although I did have a chorizo and red pepper omelette today and it was really tasty!! So good I think I’ll have another tomorrow

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Just to rub it in, here's a pic from the pitch. Sunny but there's a chilly breeze here....:cool:

View attachment 304941

It looks just a little bit better than it did in January this year when we were there! A great aire, though, nonetheless, and well frequented even then. It was our first time actually staying in Bilbao -- previously we would just rock up to the ferry -- and we were pleasantly surprised with some fine wining & dining and sightseeing (and a good bus service to the aire): the walk up from the town is a bit of a challenge by the looks of it.

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
There’s a lovely site on top of a hill there called Gran Camping Zarautz. (Not the Talaimemsi site) The views are simply spectacular. We found it many years ago when we got lost. Just if you were ever interested in overnighting. The promenade is really nice with fab (non burger) restaurants and if you go alllllll the way to the bottom of the promenade near the base of the hill you may be fortunate enough to see some bathers in the nip. Zarautz is also extremely popular for surfers too if you like surfing. Enjoy your day!

Didn't overnight there (eye-watering prices tbh!) but stopped in the town for some shopping and a coffee on the prom, from where I could see the campsite. Lovely beach but a bit early for a swim:cool:

It looks just a little bit better than it did in January this year when we were there! A great aire, though, nonetheless, and well frequented even then. It was our first time actually staying in Bilbao -- previously we would just rock up to the ferry -- and we were pleasantly surprised with some fine wining & dining and sightseeing (and a good bus service to the aire): the walk up from the town is a bit of a challenge by the looks of it.

The old town is nice and flat and I had a pleasant 3-course lunch there but once you're back across the river it gets a bit lumpy. I took the Metro along to Portugalete to see the transporter bridge. Planned to cross on the gondola and return on the high-level walkway but one of the elevators had packed up - noticed a few of the cables supporting the gondola had given up the ghost, too....:eek:
Didn't even consider walking back to the aire....:D

20190521_114040.jpg

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Photo from prime position at Gran Camping Zauratz. Nice bar there as well.
021216 Gran Camping Zauratz (3).JPG

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
It’s a gorgeous spot isn’t it! And such a lovely mix of nations. The Talaimendi site at the bottom of the hill is a nice site but can be a bit pongy atcertain times of the day with the waste treatment site nearby but it’s much easier to get into the town from there. The Gran Camping site is divine but it’s quite a bit cooler at that height, not to mention the walk/taxi coat into town. When we stay up top we hire a car!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back