Any campsite recommendations between Aranjuez direct to Motril & then along coast up to but before Mazzaron (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We are pretty familiar with lots of Spain but have never taken the road from Aranjuez to Motril, on the coast. Nor from there along the coast up to Mazzaron. We know Mazzaron and have visited the Alhambra Palace, but not Grenada, and we stayed in an apartment at Mojaca many years ago where we visited the palace at Almeria.

We have never camped along this route but are on the Santander ferry arriving 8th March and are thinking of following this route to our intended destination in Los Alcazares for Easter.

We will be looking for the warmth primarily, but very happy to visit towns cities, and will have our (pedal) cycles with us. We have a smaller PVC now so are happy to take it for days out too.

I have never asked for recommendations before, so this is a first for me, but any recommendations for nice campsites to visit along the way at that time of year will be most welcomed. Never camped in Spain at this time of year but did live there for a while so are familiar with the likely weather.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
camping El Astral at Tordesillas is a nice site and the town is small but quite nice to stroll around. Not sure of your intended route but this could well be on the way south for you.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We always stop at Tordesilla as the campsite is pleasant, & the small town has a nice square for a meal out. It’s convenient for the motorway also.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the above but it’s not on our way this time. I’m only looking for recommendations south from Aranjuez but I’ll make a note of where that is when I next head Salamanca way 😊

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
😂😂 I managed to do what I normally hate, which is to ignore your original question entirely! Never mind - as you say, if you ever are near Tordesilla!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
No offers of help, guess it’s not a popular area but i will just try again with more specifics. Does anyone have any recommendations of sites at or near to:

Motril
Roquetas de Mar
Almeria
Cabo de Gata national park
Mojacar
Aguilas.

Any help appreciated

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
Roquetas in general is an area which is covered in polythene sheeting for agriculture
Just have a look on Google maps!
Stayed at camping roquetas, huge site, close to beach and town, good facilities
BUT, very tight road getting to site, did not have a good experience in on site restaurant and the surrounding areas are covered in poly tunnels
Would not go again

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
This is Cabo De Gata - nice site, good facilities & a short walk to a nice beach. We like it better than the other campsites in Cabo. When we were in Roquetas a few years ago we stayed by the beach with its of other campers - I think it was on Park 4 Night. It was a nice stop, & we don’t usually wild park.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There is a good ACSI site in Mojacar. We last went 3 + years ago. The minor snag could be weekends when the statics were rented out, but overall good site with a pool and a restaurant. It would be worth checking up to date ACSI reviews on the Camping Card app.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Camper Area at Anibal Service Station, Aguilas. Has pitches with and without ehu, tokens to use showers. The service station has most things a motorhomer might need, including lpg and motorhome wash.
Short walk to beach, 10 mins cycle into town, Mercadona with easy parking, nearby.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No offers of help, guess it’s not a popular area but i will just try again with more specifics. Does anyone have any recommendations of sites at or near to:

Motril
Roquetas de Mar
Almeria
Cabo de Gata national park
Mojacar
Aguilas.

Any help appreciated
Just to the west of Almeria city (about 3 miles) we like Camping La Garrofa - an ACSI site which is directly on the beach. I believe it claims to be the very first campsite opened in Spain? It's a bit quirky and the access is tight in places, but we like listening to the sea lapping in the cove and the moon over the water at night. There's a bus stop by the gate to get into the city.

On the northern fringe of the Cabo de Gata Natural Park there is a handy Camper Park at Agua Amarga, right next to the enormous beach and the attractive village:

Travelling further north, a favourite and regular haunt of ours is the laid back ACSI site Camping Cuevas Mar at Palomares, between Mojacar and Aguilas - less than half a mile from the beach and an easy stroll into the village. There's a lovely cafe / bar outside the campsite gate - Monikas. One of the reasons we stay there is because a third of the site provides a designated and screened naturist zone. But the main site is popular with Brits too and where you wouldn't even be aware of the naturists.

La Garrofa, Almeria

IMG_20181022_101205888_HDR.jpg

Agua Amarga Camper Park

IMG_20181026_094537182.jpg

Camping Cuevas Mar, Palomares

IMG_20200202_133656-4.jpg

Swimming pool at Camping Cuevas Mar

IMG_20191027_113034.jpg

Monika's bar outside the gate at Cuevas Mar

IMG_20191027_105254.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you all, but especially mikebeaches for sorting and posting all that information & photos. I think we shall likely give them all a try as we head to Los Alcazares to join our Spanish friends for Easter.

Much appreciated for all the responses

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all, but especially mikebeaches for sorting and posting all that information & photos. I think we shall likely give them all a try as we head to Los Alcazares to join our Spanish friends for Easter.

Much appreciated for all the responses
At Roquetas de Mar, on the south-west edge of town, at parking Minusvalidos, next to the beach and the coastal parkland, we've seen lots of vans in the winter. Haven't stayed there ourselves, but looked OK - see the old pics below.

Roquetas Jan 08 073-1.jpg

Roquetas Jan 08 071-1.jpg

Roquetas Jan 08 078.jpg

php1wL6o5PM.jpg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Roquetas in general is an area which is covered in polythene sheeting for agriculture
Just have a look on Google maps!
Stayed at camping roquetas, huge site, close to beach and town, good facilities
BUT, very tight road getting to site, did not have a good experience in on site restaurant and the surrounding areas are covered in poly tunnels
Would not go again
There are plans to build the largest Petro Chemical plant there...2 Car factories, a re-cycling plant and a Nuclear power station... unfortunately all the plastic will have to be removed, this will impact the Spanish Agricultural Market and the local economy in general..but the view will be greatly improved for your next visit....😃😃😃😃😃😃👍🇪🇦🤔

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
There are plans to build the largest Petro Chemical plant there...2 Car factories, a re-cycling plant and a Nuclear power station... unfortunately all the plastic will have to be removed, this will impact the Spanish Agricultural Market and the local economy in general..but the view will be greatly improved for your next visit....😃😃😃😃😃😃👍🇪🇦🤔
That's a bit of a shock to hear. I know many folk consider the thousands of acres of plastic greenhouses to be a blot on the landscape, but we have nothing but admiration for the way the Spanish have developed the agricultural industry in the region. Having said that, I know there are lots of environmental concerns about all the plastic and its ultimate disposal; and also some of the working practices involving the employment of migrants. :unsure:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We had a couple of nights at this camper stop on the edge of Vera. Handy to walk into the town and a nice bike ride on cycle paths to the beach at Vera Playa.
It had just been opened when we visited in Feb 2020 and the planting had just been done so probably looks a little greener now.

Screenshot_20230106-092739_searchforsites.jpg

We also had a couple of nights at this camper stop the previous year. The facility itself is quite nice with a Gaudi-esque theme to the buildings. Nice restaurant on site and a tennis club nearby. The road to it is a bit bleak and desert like but handy for a Lidl on the edge of Vera. We were lucky to walk into Vera for the Annual Pet Blessing parade.

Screenshot_20230106-093531_searchforsites.jpg

Enjoy your trip

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That's a bit of a shock to hear. I know many folk consider the thousands of acres of plastic greenhouses to be a blot on the landscape, but we have nothing but admiration for the way the Spanish have developed the agricultural industry in the region. Having said that, I know there are lots of environmental concerns about all the plastic and its ultimate disposal; and also some of the working practices involving the employment of migrants. :unsure:
I'm being a bit sarcastic in my post just to highlight the fact that how the Spanish Agricultural Industry works to produce all year round harvesting.
And the introduction of major industry would be a bigger blot on the landscape...
Sorry Mike if I didn't make it clear that I was only jesting about what alternatives there could be...Forgive me please...it's my birthday..well it was yesterday...today is Three Kings day..😃👍👍🇪🇦

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I'm being a bit sarcastic in my post just to highlight the fact that how the Spanish Agricultural Industry works to produce all year round harvesting.
And the introduction of major industry would be a bigger blot on the landscape...
Sorry Mike if I didn't make it clear that I was only jesting about what alternatives there could be...Forgive me please...it's my birthday..well it was yesterday...today is Three Kings day..😃👍👍🇪🇦
Ah, perhaps I was being dozy?

But thanks for the clarification - quite a relief actually... We've been visiting the area since the mid-1980s and, as said, marvel at the local agriculture.

Oh and Happy Birthday. :giggle: (y)

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks namwaldog for posting the information with all the details. Do I presume you just pay the owners upon arrival?

Thanks again mikebeaches. Looks a great location for parking. We haven’t in the past wild camped anywhere, never say never and all that but I doubt we actually would.

When we lived in Los Alcazares we had many wild campers on the streets around our prom each winter. Great for info for me, it got us into the idea of buying a Motorhome from a Dutch couple who had wild camped for past 25 years, but I must admit as a resident I was a little concerned about where they were getting and disposing of their water etc Each to their own 😊

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Do I presume you just pay the owners upon arrival?
As far as I remember we didn't pre-book either.

The one by the tennis court, I think the owners live on and if the reception isn't open on arrival, they sort you out at the bar/restaurant.

The Carpe Dieum stop, I think the owner is there most of the day and there may be a code for the gate when he isn't?
There is also a big Iceland store just round the corner if you are missing your British Food Fixes. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back