Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I wouldn't say it had been ruined for the residents, sounds more like a victory.
Ruined for the Motorhomers who did abide by good decency by the dirty idiots who donā€™t think they need to.
the real issue is that the Local Authority will not provide the proper dump facilities because they are both short sighted and constrained by budgets.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ruined for the Motorhomers who did abide by good decency by the dirty idiots who donā€™t think they need to.
the real issue is that the Local Authority will not provide the proper dump facilities because they are both short sighted and constrained by budgets.
Yep motorhoming isn't like it used to be. When I started we could stay almost anywhere. I have witnessed many fantastic stop overs being abused before the inevitable happens and they are no more. I haven't visited the above but I'm sure it will be missed by all but the local residents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think every sea front has them, I think every one that I have ever strolled along has had at least one van that looks like theyā€™re there for more than a day, deck chairs out, the trail of water from under the van. Thats the signature things to try and avoid doing as thats what gets the locals annoyed, and quite rightly so

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Is there a site next to the sea within easy distance of Walmer?

Its not an area I know but thats quite often the problem and why we are generally on aires in countries that have them.
Well I too think aires are a good thing when used as intended but there are plenty who pull off before the guy comes round for the small payment,
Then there are also some that would abuse the system ā˜¹ļø

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
We have a lot of brand new Motorhome customers at the moment fuelled by the ā€œStaycationā€ I always make a point of telling them to empty the tanks and cassettes properly and to not be ā€œThatā€ person!
Still shocks me with how many people tell me they never bother emptying their grey water as they just leave it open when driving. Every single one gets my two pence worth at that point.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
OK, am a bit ANTI in this respect of this sort of thing! WHY should folk expect someone else to clean up after them. Why should you drop your unwanted crap anywhere you have finished with it!

Sorry it makes me so angry that folks have not been shown/understand any respect for the world they live in and the folks they are neighbours with.

IT's really unacceptable that the few are able with relative impunity to do as they want with out consideration for anybody. Given the UK is the most observed country in at least Europe (cctv) name and shame them.

Edit was going but saw above post after I'd started to write this and it reminded me of the sad folks who in their indecent haste to leave a site and can't be arsed to consider anyone else, open the grey drain on the pitch, drive off and leave a trail of greasy, smelly water along the access roads past the grey water dump grid point as they head out on to the road.

Rant Over, think I'll pop over to the music thread and find something to chill with.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Well I too think aires are a good thing when used as intended but there are plenty who pull off before the guy comes round for the small payment,
Then there are also some that would abuse the system ā˜¹
Certain groups would saw barriers down

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Then there are also some that would abuse the system ā˜¹

I agree that some will abuse whatever system. But I also think that UK councils could do with getting their act together when it comes to managing the massive growth in Mh ownership, nearly all of which will be council tax payers.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Take a look at this

seems like more than 1 too many
But! If you have a van conversion (van you have converted yourself of others). Registration documents would list as goods vehicle or PLG. So you could park there !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Its a shame that the councils can't recognise a need and cater for it. Get it right they can actually make some money from it.
I guess you've not read the previous multitude of threads and posts over the years on this subject. Councils tend not to make a profit from accommodating motorhomes. :unsure: :smiley:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I guess you've not read the previous multitude of threads and posts over the years on this subject. Councils tend not to make a profit from accommodating motorhomes. :unsure: :smiley:
I've probably read most of them. If our councils canot make money from aires then they are fools - oops Ive answered my own question there havent I.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Well, I consulted the oracle on this (the fairies at the bottom of my garden)

I asked them whether councils should spend money on providing cheap camping spaces for motorhomers, so that these motorhomers could then spend lots of money in the local economy?

They told my I was being ridiculous, as not many motohomers spend a lot money in the local economy, but many consider that buying a coffee and a newspaper during a long weekend stay in an area should entitle them to free/cheap camping šŸ™‚

On a more serious note, if my local council used my council tax to provide facilities for motorhomers, I would not be happy about it, after all they don't subsidise B&Bs or Hotels (who are council tax payers) why should they subsidise camping?

I'm generally a pretty upbeat, jolly sort of person, but I would be very unhappy if a number of motorhomes camped outside my house for a weekend - how many on here would? (be honestšŸ™‚)

And please, before you reply about what happens in France (and other countries), they have a different culture, different history plus many other differences - I personally don't think there is a straight forward comparison. IMO if you want French Aires go to France - simplesšŸ™‚

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But! If you have a van conversion (van you have converted yourself of others). Registration documents would list as goods vehicle or PLG. So you could park there !
Thats the very actions that ruin these places. No overnite camping, its a dead simple sign that even the idiots should be able to understand. Its not an invitation to find a work-around , its a request from people who must be at their wits end. Why would anyone go out of their way to find away around it? Next thing you know theyā€™ll be waking up to slashed tyres and vandalised vehicles

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Well, I consulted the oracle on this (the fairies at the bottom of my garden)

I asked them whether councils should spend money on providing cheap camping spaces for motorhomers, so that these motorhomers could then spend lots of money in the local economy?

They told my I was being ridiculous, as not many motohomers spend a lot money in the local economy, but many consider that buying a coffee and a newspaper during a long weekend stay in an area should entitle them to free/cheap camping šŸ™‚

On a more serious note, if my local council used my council tax to provide facilities for motorhomers, I would not be happy about it, after all they don't subsidise B&Bs or Hotels (who are council tax payers) why should they subsidise camping?

I'm generally a pretty upbeat, jolly sort of person, but I would be very unhappy if a number of motorhomes camped outside my house for a weekend - how many on here would? (be honestšŸ™‚)

And please, before you reply about what happens in France (and other countries), they have a different culture, different history plus many other differences - I personally don't think there is a straight forward comparison. IMO if you want French Aires go to France - simplesšŸ™‚
Have to agree with you i would not like people parking in front of my house and spoiling my view. We dont wildcamp in the uk apart for maybe 1 night before the warner shows. We would not park on that road in Walmer its to narrow

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You are right Steve, and invariably they are French nationals.....................seriously. :(

No one yet on this thread has referred to the great success that the Canterbury New Dover Rd P&R has been for many years now, so much so, that another MH Aire is being built at the Wincheap P&R, with space for around 40-50 x MHs, two dumping stations, and an access road straight off the motorway. Nice one Canterbury. (y) It's not rocket science. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am just so glad I don't like parking next to the coast. I am more an inland, forest, country side, mountain type.

I don't think it is just a minority either. Since the van life fad took off on youtube I am seeing more and more freeloader types who don't respect the environment or the people around where they park.

I was kind of hoping that the lockdowns and the problems caused by it would have killed off some of the youtubers but that doesn't appear to have happened. I think it is only going to get worse as more people are forced into van life rather than just choosing it.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not done any wild/free camping in the MoHo yet. We don't plan on doing any either. We much prefer a controlled site with facilities and security.
Our trip to Aussie last year lent itself to free/wild camping but we chose to book a site each time we wanted to stop, easy. Cost, well one wants to and can pay others don't/can't. Each to their own.
But if you do take your rubbish home.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
More of the usual, unsurprisingly.
The usual whinge that it's all the fault of shortsighted/lazy councils.
As usual no suggestion of responsible motorhomers putting some effort into providing evidence to councils of how facilities could be provided in specific locations in their areas.
The usual failure to provide evidence to councils that the freeloaders that are in their faces aren't the full story.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It happens in France as well, anybody remember the Sete beach road? I must admit we've been guilty of parking up for several days there with the nearside wheels on the beach. Mind you in a RV so self contained for all that time.
Also, I'm not sure but I think that the provision of an aire allows local authories in France to restrict MHs in other areas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back