Another place ruined (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Have to agree with you i would not like people parking in front of my house and spoiling my view. We dont wildcamp in the uk apart for maybe 1 night before the warner shows. We would not park on that road in Walmer its to narrow

I have been on a lot of aires/sps etc I can't remember one being in front of houses. That is the point that if you manage the problem it can be turned into an opportunity.

I'm reminded of the private aire in Palencia where the owner provides free electricity, showers toilets etc but would like you to patronise his garage.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You are right Steve, and invariably they are French nationals.....................seriously. :(

No one yet on this thread has referred to the great success that the Canterbury New Dover Rd P&R has been for many years now, so much so, that another MH Aire is being built at the Wincheap P&R, with space for around 40-50 x MHs, two dumping stations, and an access road straight off the motorway. Nice one Canterbury. (y) It's not rocket science. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jock

I wonder what your source for that is and whether it is separate from mine and maybe more recent.

I posted this information after meeting the Parking Services Mgr. at Canterbury P+R 18 months or so ago.

I know the plan was to go ahead for when the new exit slip from the A2 at Wincheap is finished, which will give easy access to that P+R.

Colin the Manager is a guy who seems to get things done. He also listens to MHomers' views which was the purpose of our meeting and from his reaction seemed to learn about how Mhomers want to use their units, not just my way. We also discussed the type of service points which could be installed and positioning to use them.

Jock, any update would be welcome.

Geoff

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I guess you've not read the previous multitude of threads and posts over the years on this subject. Councils tend not to make a profit from accommodating motorhomes. :unsure: :smiley:
Hi Buttons. Is it time to change your avatar picture? Joe Biden perhaps ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
[
I have been on a lot of aires/sps etc I can't remember one being in front of houses. That is the point that if you manage the problem it can be turned into an opportunity.

I'm reminded of the private aire in Palencia where the owner provides free electricity, showers toilets etc but would like you to patronise his garage.
When we are abroad we wildcamp alot more and i often ask the bars or garages can we park then get a meal and a few drinks never once have they said no.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jock

I wonder what your source for that is and whether it is separate from mine and maybe more recent.

I posted this information after meeting the Parking Services Mgr. at Canterbury P+R 18 months or so ago.

I know the plan was to go ahead for when the new exit slip from the A2 at Wincheap is finished, which will give easy access to that P+R.

Colin the Manager is a guy who seems to get things done. He also listens to MHomers' views which was the purpose of our meeting and from his reaction seemed to learn about how Mhomers want to use their units, not just my way. We also discussed the type of service points which could be installed and positioning to use them.

Geoff
Hi Geoff. :)
Although I too have been in touch with Colin a couple of times over past years, the source for the info wasn't from him this time.
I can't remember where I read it, but this article from Kentonline, indicates 11 x MH spaces only, rather than the 40-50 I had read elsewhere, (and quoted above unfortunately). :(
However, further research looks like "it's all off.................for now anyway." :(

Does the latter tie in Geoff, with your recent communications from Colin?

Cheers,

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff. :)
Although I too have been in touch with Colin a couple of times over past years, the source for the info wasn't from him this time.
I can't remember where I read it, but this article from Kentonline, indicates 11 x MH spaces only, rather than the 40-50 I had read elsewhere, (and quoted above unfortunately). :(
However, further research looks like "it's all off.................for now anyway." :(

Does the latter tie in Geoff, with your recent communications from Colin?

Cheers,

Jock

it sounds as though you have been in touch with Colin more recently than I.

It does sound as though the whole slip road plan is off if Highways have dropped it.

Geoff

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Have to agree with you i would not like people parking in front of my house and spoiling my view. We dont wildcamp in the uk apart for maybe 1 night before the warner shows. We would not park on that road in Walmer its to narrow
It's too bloody crowded, I didn't buy a motorhome to spend my life like that!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are right Steve, and invariably they are French nationals.....................seriously. :(

No one yet on this thread has referred to the great success that the Canterbury New Dover Rd P&R has been for many years now, so much so, that another MH Aire is being built at the Wincheap P&R, with space for around 40-50 x MHs, two dumping stations, and an access road straight off the motorway. Nice one Canterbury. (y) It's not rocket science. ;)

Cheers,

Jock

Geoff
Colin was always very helpful to me when I ran my web site, and always keen to take advantage of the motorhome traffic around Canterbury to promote the area.
It has to be remembered, though, that the success of New Dover Road is mainly due to its location on the route to and from Dover. That is an advantage that nowhere else in the country has. It is, therefore, not so simple to apply the same arguments for aire to other areas. That is why it is necessary to make a specific case for each specific location.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thats the very actions that ruin these places. No overnite camping, its a dead simple sign that even the idiots should be able to understand. Its not an invitation to find a work-around , its a request from people who must be at their wits end. Why would anyone go out of their way to find away around it? Next thing you know they’ll be waking up to slashed tyres and vandalised vehicles
Once again there is a difference between camping and parking ....if a sprinter van full of joinery tools parks on that road and a sprinter van with a bed and kitchen parks on that road there is no difference.

So yes people will find a way around it

Im one of them and proudly so

I don't sit out on the road in chairs , or leave grey water open or leave rubbish..

And im willing to bet the vast majority don't either.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It has to be remembered, though, that the success of New Dover Road is mainly due to its location on the route to and from Dover. That is an advantage that nowhere else in the country has. It is, therefore, not so simple to apply the same arguments for aire to other areas. That is why it is necessary to make a specific case for each specific location.

Not so. people divert to Canterbury because its the only one around there. Its a briliant resource but its bit of a pain getting there from the tunnel.

There is clearly a case for it in lots of places - Walmer for example.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not so. people divert to Canterbury because its the only one around there. Its a briliant resource but its bit of a pain getting there from the tunnel.

We have used N. Dover Rd. several times when we have not been crossing the Channel either way. One reason we go there is (charity) and other shopping in the City, plus going in to print things at the library and other administrative jobs.

We have parked for those reasons at other places, but it is not always as easy as Canterbury.

Geoff

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
Seems to me that during daylight hours when you can see that the view will still be obscured, wonder if they thought that through?

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Its a shame that the councils can't recognise a need and cater for it. Get it right they can actually make some money from it.
Sadly councils do not have the spare cash to make extra parking for MoHo's, and then there is the servicing of it etc. We normally find good a good CL for not a lot of cash and use them.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
So old joe taking over ? :sleep::sleep:
He will not be in long, he will be replaced by obama's chosen one.
You Won.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sadly councils do not have the spare cash to make extra parking for MoHo's, and then there is the servicing of it etc. We normally find good a good CL for not a lot of cash and use them.
They dont need to make anything in most cases, just change the rules of existing carparks, Shrewsbury has 2 suitable carparks but both have no overnighting rules.

Its not about cash for us its about location, this is what we enjoy on many of the French/german, Spanish etc aires we ve used.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
the minority abuse it we all lose it, sad but true over the years I have watched people abuse privileges in other walks of life and seen these privileges slowly but surely disappear.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Take a look at this

seems like more than 1 too many
Looking at that photo with a Wall of Motorhomes parked along a seafront I’m not surprised they have banned Motorhomes overnight, by banning them overnight it puts a stop to those who park their vans for the Whole of the summer, letting their grey water run out into the gutter and down the drains,preventing locals from parking a car on the seafront of a nice evening to enjoy the view etc, another case of the inconsiderate few who are spoiling it for the many, As for the disposable BBQ and litter I would like to be shown proof that this was left by a Motorhome, it’s all very well showing a photo of a bbq and rubbish and litter but this usually has got nothing at all to do with Motorhomes but it just strengthens the argument of the anti-Motorhome brigade to get us banned from parking anywhere, this was probably left by day trippers in a car, but we seem to get blamed constantly.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I was talking to husband and wife Beach hut Owners, in the town where we live, and their Association are kicking up a fuss , because of putting N/S wheels up on prom. to level up M/H, also draining waste water into gulley that drains into a Blue Flag sea/beach, plus they counted 21 Motorhomes parked along the road !!?, I said there is no law stopping and parking, I think they are mostly kicking up with the Council that they now cannot park outside their Beach hut, I can see their grouse up to a point as they pay over a £1000 after all to the Council per Annum , I said get the Council to provide an Aire (after explaining what one was), their attitude is why should the rate payers provide that , they don't go for you bringing trade to their part of Paradise, as far as I can see we all want this and that but not on our doorstep, like would you like a big M/H parked outside your home , I dunno what to think, what I do know Carpark meters are going up and next will be Parking Meters I think to nobodies advantage

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Straight along the A2 is a diversion? Each to their own.

If Walmer (or anywhere else) has such a clear case perhaps you can share the evidence you took to the council to prove it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Straight along the A2 is a diversion? Each to their own.

If Walmer (or anywhere else) has such a clear case perhaps you can share the evidence you took to the council to prove it.

The tunnel is on the M20, not the A2.

We stayed at Canterbury 3 weeks ago, it was busy ish. I know for a fact that at least 2 Mh's were including it as a part of UK trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back