Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Does the habitation battery automatically charge when I run the engine or is there a switch somewhere to select it?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Silas,there is no such thing as a daft question on Motorhome Fun!
Plenty of daft answers maybe!
Most do,without selecting a switch. But I don’t know if they all do. What van is it?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a kontiki years back, earlier than yours but leisure battery only charged when the switch was selected for the leisure battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silas

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
There is a three way ticket switch connected to a voltmeter that seems to show the charge in each battery and the centre position is off. I don' know if this has to be set to charge one or the other or if it is simply a charge indicator.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silas

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Actually I think it selects which battery to use for the 12v habitation circuit

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I've got a Kontiki (52 reg) and indeed the switch shows engine or hab battery. I switch mine off most of the time and then on when I need power. The hab battery has always remained fully charged so obviously it must charge when the engine is running. I recently had a hab service and the engineer said there was no voltage going to the battery when on tick over so must assume the alternator kicks in when there are suitable revs as when you are driving. You will soon find out if your battery goes flat but I very much doubt it will.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a three way ticket switch connected to a voltmeter that seems to show the charge in each battery and the centre position is off. I don' know if this has to be set to charge one or the other or if it is simply a charge indicator.

That switch has nothing to do with the engine charging the leisure battery.
That is performed by the split charge relay and is fully automatic.... Start the engine, the leisure battery receives a charge.

The switch you mention is for mains hookup charging.
Select hab battery and it will both charge, via the on board charger, and use the hab battery.
Select cab (engine) battery and it charges and uses the engine battery.
Select the center position it neither uses nor charges either battery but uses the charger as a mains powered 12v power supply.

If your hab battery isn't getting a charge from the (running) engine the 1st thing to check is the relay and its nearby fuse.
It should be fixed to the bulkhead above the engine battery next to the identical fridge relay.
They are a standard 30a car relay.
Swap them over to check functionality.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The easy way to check is to check the habitation battery voltage without the engine running and then again with it running, if the voltage increases Yes its charging.

Martin

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On my 07 Swift Bolero the alternator charged both engine and hab batteries, until the engine battery was full then the output dropped and only a trickle went to the hab battery.
That was the reason for me fitting a Sterling B2B charging unit, which, simply put, "fools" the alternator into thinking the engine battery needs charging. It also does it at a much higher rate so that now a half hours run tops everything back up. With an additional hab battery and 100w solar panel, plus a Battery Master, I never worry too much about battery power.

My point is, I believe many "older" motorhomes didn't have split-charging relays and relied on a lengthy run to recharge the hab battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back