Angles Mort (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All, has anyone who's needed to buy these found any that can just be simply peeled off once out of France? I've also found magnetic ones but obviously no good on GRP panels.
Thanks

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Went down through France and back up again with no issues, there was a check by French police on the A16 with one lane traffic down to walking pace, a few lorries pulled over in front of us.
8 coppers looking but nothing said about no stickers on my van.
I have some inside just in case I got pulled.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Went down through France and back up again with no issues, there was a check by French police on the A16 with one lane traffic down to walking pace, a few lorries pulled over in front of us.
8 coppers looking but nothing said about no stickers on my van.
I have some inside just in case I got pulled.
Thanks. It's annoying that it's on weight rather than length. I can't see the sense in it, but, when in France.........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Agreed, probably car and caravan is more dangerous than a Motorhome.
Have 360 cameras that I think are a bit better for safety than some stickers.
Yeah, I would agree. I've just sent Tombola a question to see if his/hers are still available

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi All, has anyone who's needed to buy these found any that can just be simply peeled off once out of France? I've also found magnetic ones but obviously no good on GRP panels.
Thanks
We kept the backing paper and peeled an ordinary set back off and reattached the backing. Guessing they will do 4-5 trips by which time it will probably be forgotten.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Yeah, I would agree. I've just sent Tombola a question to see if his/hers are still available
He sent me some and they are spot on.
Bit random in Europe of who has fitted them, see loads of vans that looked like 3.5t with them on!!
Did also see some PVC vans with then on😁😁

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I'm using removable/ re-useable stickers. Carrying them in case.
I tested the adhesion on a couple of my customers trucks and after a week and 1500 miles they performed fine. Peeled off ok so refitted them for another week and still good.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I'm using removable/ re-useable stickers. Carrying them in case.
I tested the adhesion on a couple of my customers trucks and after a week and 1500 miles they performed fine. Peeled off ok so refitted them for another week and still good.
Thanks, they sound ideal. Who was the supplier please?

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks

We just put the magnetic ones on the cab doors when we went through Lyon a couple of months ago. We didn’t bother putting the stick on one on the rear !

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Been in France some 2 weeks now... our van (coachbuilt) is actually 4250kg but is the same size as a lot of 3500kg vans so I gues we dont stick out like a tag axle 8 m A class would but not one French policeman's eyelid has been batted regarding the lack of these Angles Mort stickers and we've been in small and large towns past Gendarmes standing by the roadside looking at traffic... Not all French vehicles , not just motorhomes, that are clearly over 3500kg have them either or dont have all 3 on ( mainly the rear one missing)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The worlds gone mad.

I would love to know what the statistics are for people killed by vehicles with blind spots ?.

Versus speeding cars, drunk or drugged drivers, bald tyres, falling asleep at the wheel. Etc

And what percentage of people take any notice with or without signs ?. I was driving my van up the A6 through manchester a couple of weeks ago. Some prat on a bicycle undertook me as I was about to turn left.,

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Ah right, fair enough. (y)
As you can see on the Internet there are loads of choices for these but the re-useable kind are rare due to price. Most people just buy the cheapest. I've actually tested the stickers but applied a VERY thin layer of vaseline to the back. These worked fine but the amount of vaseline is crucial, very small amount only.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Angles Mort signs are only required in 'urban' areas.
Quite what the French definition of 'urban' is I am yet to find out.
Generally it seems to mean city centres or very large town centres.

Our Angle Mort signs stayed tucked away in a locker during our recent six weeks in France.
Confused.com

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Don't the signs only apply to urban areas so you would never need one on a motorway or hence every get stopped either to check on a motorway.
No. This seems to be an urban myth(!). They apply everywhere.

Before the law was passed there was apparently discussion of making it only applicable in urban areas, but it seems that never got into the decree. There have been a number of threads, here and on other forums, where this was discussed, but afaik no one has ever been able to quote legislation (as opposed to magazine articles etc) to show it only applies in urban areas.

Very happy to be proved wrong, though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have just got back, we didn't bother with them (4500kg). The Germans and Dutch all have them & a few French very large vans. Seen quite a few lorries without them also saw some on lorries that looked like paper all faded and hardly readable.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I have magnetic for cab and suckers with screws for the back (just punched holes through the sign) BUT I did not fit them and drove all across France and no one took any notice.
Here on site about 50% have them on.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Angles Mort signs are only required in 'urban' areas.
Quite what the French definition of 'urban' is I am yet to find out.
Generally it seems to mean city centres or very large town centres.

Our Angle Mort signs stayed tucked away in a locker during our recent six weeks in France.
Confused.com
Thanks all. Seems it's not quite clear where they're required and even if/where they are required the Gerdarmes don't seem particularly interested. As our van is 7m - as a lot of 3.5T vans, I think we'll get away with it, especially as we're only transiting France en-route to Spain. Some in the glovebox may be handy though.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
I don’t think the police or anyone will be interested… until you have an accident!

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
He sent me some and they are spot on.
Bit random in Europe of who has fitted them, see loads of vans that looked like 3.5t with them on!!
Did also see some PVC vans with then on😁😁
Panel vans have blind spots too!
It’s not illegal to fit blind spot stickers on anything under 3500kgs, I think that’s a public spirited and safety conscious move…. ✅

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Thanks all. Seems it's not quite clear where they're required and even if/where they are required the Gerdarmes don't seem particularly interested. As our van is 7m - as a lot of 3.5T vans, I think we'll get away with it, especially as we're only transiting France en-route to Spain. Some in the glovebox may be handy though.
The guy on the pushbike, between you and the kerb can’t see them in your glovebox!
you’ve spent the money, USE THEM and leave them on! Angles Morts stickers are a bit of a novelty in the U.K., they might have more of an impact (pun intended).

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Panel vans have blind spots too!
It’s not illegal to fit blind spot stickers on anything under 3500kgs, I think that’s a public spirited and safety conscious move…. ✅
If I thought they would do any good then I would be the first. But we ve had versions of them on some lorries and buses for years, I'm not convinced they make any difference at all.

Edit to say, the Blind Spot regarding lorries generally means the left side of the trailer when you re not in a straight line. However with modern lorries being taller it is quite possible to lose even a car in the area on the nearside of the cab below window height and out of the range of kerbside mirrors but in front of the field of vision of the side mirrors. This tends to be where the lemmings sit.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
If I thought they would do any good then I would be the first. But we ve had versions of them on some lorries and buses for years, I'm not convinced they make any difference at all.

Edit to say, the Blind Spot regarding lorries generally means the left side of the trailer when you re not in a straight line. However with modern lorries being taller it is quite possible to lose even a car in the area on the nearside of the cab below window height and out of the range of kerbside mirrors but in front of the field of vision of the side mirrors. This tends to be where the lemmings sit.
And the cab doors are exactly where the angles morts stickers should be, to warn the lemmings! No damn use in the glovebox!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back