LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok apart from some threads I have tried reading I know nothing about satellite.

Having now experienced no tv to watch, crap weather and mum missing tv I think we are ready to cough up some money for satellite.

We don't want a dish, something small or portable will be great.

Will we get English channels everywhere in Europe or is it just France? And does the satellite get you free internet?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ok apart from some threads I have tried reading I know nothing about satellite.

Having now experienced no tv to watch, crap weather and mum missing tv I think we are ready to cough up some money for satellite.

We don't want a dish, something small or portable will be great.

Will we get English channels everywhere in Europe or is it just France? And does the satellite get you free internet?
Snipe 2
No Huge dish reqd
No Huge wallet reqd

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Are we cheaper to buy it in France ,Spain or Portugal or have it delivered from Germany. Really don't know much about them and have limited internet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Have no idea of how much they are in europe but i purchased my snipe 2 off ebay that came from Germany (took 2 days) seller accepted £550 on a "make an offer" can be used portable or fixed... dont know if anything has changed but a lot of british sellers were selling them without the base plate - wheras europe sells it with the base plate (you only need the base plate if fixing it down) I also believe you can buy this same system that has Internet connection but obviously more money.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391403202100?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
With my limited knowlege of sat systems with interweb am i right in thinking you cant do tv and web at the same time cos the sat for tv is not same sat for the web

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just shows how 2 different people can interpret a reply 2 different ways.

Until I've just had it pointed out
Snipe 2
No Huge dish reqd
No Huge wallet reqd

This to me read No huge dish required
No huge wallet required.

My bubbles just been burst lol

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
For once you are correct @Geo...:giggler:

But I have seen a rooftop type Oyster sat system with a twin bar for LNB... one pointing to the Astra for TV and tother pointing to the designated Internet Sat... (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just shows how 2 different people can interpret a reply 2 different ways.

Until I've just had it pointed out

This to me read No huge dish required
No huge wallet required.

My bubbles just been burst lol
My total lack of punctuation sorry

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
So where does this snipe 2 work ?
All of the uk and about half way down France, there are reports of it working further down
I got one of RedApple Digital £700 with dual LNB (£600+ single LNB) and mounting plate, you can get them cheaper from Germany however if anything goes wrong I believe you have to sort out shipping both ways which will probably be the extra I paid to get it in the uk so decide to give my hard earned to a local company
I initial intended to use it as a portable unit but in all honesty when it arrived it didn't seem pratical so decided to mount on the roof, the VUcube probably a better option if going to use it as a portable unit but couldn't find many reviews and the snipe had lots of positive reviews but am sure it's just as good

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I too from time to time, and especially with the more expensive items pay slightly OTT for a local guarantee say at PC world or Argoose
so much easier to deal with local businesses when stuff goes Pete Tong, and of course it very rarely goes wrong
Unless you try and save £20 on the web then watch it go tits up for a hobby
G

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So where does this snipe 2 work ?
I had a Snipe on the last van, just glued the plate on the roof of the new van for the Snipe 2 I've just bought.

They work nearly as well as an 85cm dish I had an Oyster 85cm on a previous van never noticed much difference in coverage between the Snipe & Oyster. Snipe worked on Astra 2 in Provence as far down as about 40km north of Orange, as you went further west petered out south & west of the Dordogne, and as you went east further across Germany. Works all over Europe on Astra 1, Hotbird etc.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Works all over Europe on
What does this mean? Sorry for asking but im confused . To me it either works most of europe or it doesnt. We dont want sky just the free council telly if its available.

Do you have to pay for Astra 1 or is 1 and 2 free?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What does this mean? Sorry for asking but im confused . To me it either works most of europe or it doesnt. We dont want sky just the free council telly if its available.

Do you have to pay for Astra 1 or is 1 and 2 free?
As I said works all over Europe on Astra 1 & Hotbird, Astra 2 carries all the UK FTA channels, which has more limited reception as my post.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As I said works all over Europe on Astra 1 & Hotbird, Astra 2 carries all the UK FTA channels, which has more limited reception as my post.
Thanks, sounds good if we can get all over Europe. What kind of UK channels can we get on Astra 1?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
English free to view channels, basically Free View, are on Astra 2F. There is very limited , basically news program, on any others satellites you may pick up.
We had satellite TV until they changed the satellite reception areas, we don't bother now as it's so hit and miss in Europe. We just have a TV aerial in the UK.

http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/Satellite_Footprints.html

For entertainment now, we have a hard drive full of downloaded complete TV series and films scrounged from friend and acquaintances. :mask::pinocchio:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Apologies to @irnbru , but if I can jump on this for a question. We are going away over the Easter period and down to Alsace area. We have a Sky HD box in the MH, so do we keep on Astra 2.8 and will the SatFi still auto track to 2.8?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back